Footwell accent interior lights

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
Auburn dad
Car: 2009 G37S

I am wanting to install footwell lights in the front and rear that ties into the same circuit as the map lights (auto on when the door opens or manual with the ceiling rocker switch). Not sure where I can tap into the map wiring.

I saw a thread on an FYI, but it was for an 04 and the wiring looks different.

I have a 09 G37S.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

j_farago
Car: 2012 G37 Hardtop Convertible (Malbec Black)

I just did this on mine. It took me about a half hour. I bought a 15' strip of white led's and put a 10" strip on each side. There is a wiring harness underneath the glove box that controls all the interior lights. If you have illuminated kick plates then it is much easier to find. I just tapped into the kick plate wires so I didnt have to mess with the harness. Cost me $1.06 and it looks better than the factory accent lighting.

Auburn dad

Awesome!

Thanks for the reply! I don't have the lighted kick plates (not sure they were available for the 09, but I will take a look). Pulling out the glove box to replace the filter and changing the box light to LED so I will look then. Any ideas on what colors the wires were?

Thanks again!

j_farago

On my 2012 they were all black and i believe one wire was white. If you dont have the schematic then it would probably be easiest to check the voltage with a multimeter. Keep in mind once your doors are open for a certain period of time your lights cut off to save the battery. So, make sure the interior lights are on when testing.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

The FSM (link in my sig) should have the wiring diagrams.

Auburn dad

Thanks Joe603,
I think I got it figured out. On the BCM, terminal M119, connection 19 (violet) and 13 (black ground). Am going to test it out this weekend to see if that works. If so, then tap and run some wires and lights! Will post a picture if it works. Thanks again!

Auburn dad

Hoping that I can get some help from someone smarter than me with electrical wiring. Thought that I could connect some footwell lights to the BCM Found interior room lamp supply on the M119 connector but that would not power off like the maps lights (I want the foot wells to go off like the rest of the interior lights and hopefully be controlled by the overhead map switch). I also tried the room lamp timer control, but no luck. I don't want to add a sep switch like the cig lighter installs. Thoughts or ideas? Doesn't seem like it should be this difficult.

j_farago

You are in the right place. The violet wire (pin 19) is the Room lamp timer. The interior room lamp is pin 4 (light green) and the step lamp is pin 7 (sky blue). You should be able to tap into either one of those. You could always measure them with a multi-meter with the doors open and shut. They should be 12 volts with the doors open and when the doors are shut it should stay 12 for a few seconds and then slowly drop to 0.

Auburn dad

Thanks. Will give it another shot. I used the ground to the chasis...maybe I should ground to the BCM too? (I think it was pin13)

Really appreciate the input!

Auburn dad

So ran a meter on all 3 pins (4, 7 and 19) using both the ground on the chassis and then the ground on the BCM (13). Here is what happened. Meter read zero when the interior lights were on, but then as the lights faded after 10 seconds, the meter went to 11 to 12 volts. So I looked up the FSM for the BCM and on page 50-51 sure enough, when the lights are on, those pins are off, but when the lights are off, power goes to the pins. Baffling. Any suggestions? My foot well interior pieces are all out of the car on both sides so I am willing to try any suggestions. Thanks.

j_farago

What that means is that it pulls to ground when the doors open you need to put the ground on one of those pins and then connect the positive on a constant 12 volts.

Auburn dad

Great! I got it all installed a couple of weeks ago. I used the M119 module in the BCS and connected the 11 red wire and the 19 violet wire (room lamp timer I think) and it worked great. Advice is someone else is doing this...use Posi-taps as the wires are extremely small and very hard to tap. I put the light under the back seats and they go off when the door closes and on when it opens. Just what I wanted. I added some "infiniti puddle" lights at the same time that shine the logo on the ground when the door opens. Not sure how to post pictures here otherwise I would....thanks again for the advice. Worked like a charm!

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”