FOG MOD ASAP

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
slickroger
Car: Nissan Pathfinder 2001

alright

theres a lot of fog mods out there i just want to know which one of them i should be looking at.

im trying to do this as soon as possible i know there was a thread on here but i cant find it .

hook a brother up

bmlawless
Car: 1999 Infinity QX4

Here's the thread for the mod on my 99 QX4. I am heading out of town in a few hours until Wednesday so if you have questions, I won't be able to answer them until then, but someone else here will probably know the answer.

zerothread/355642

slickroger

do you know if it might be different than mine because its a 2001

KoukiS14
Car: 2005 G35x - Lakeshore Slate / Stone

It'll probably work. . Check the relay box under the hood. . if it's in there, it'll work fo sho. I used some of the skills from the mod on my QX4 to change the fogs on my Impreza (92x). . I think Subaru and Nissan are damn near the same company.

slickroger

imma check the relay box and get at you i still have to fix my power steering leak which is now starting to get out of control now that im about to hit 180k kms.
Modified by slickroger at 2:32 PM 7/22/2009

KoukiS14

Man I've never realized anyone has that negative of a perception of Subaru. . you're not being serious, are you? The feel of the two brands is identical, and Subaru isn't exactly a step down from Nissan. The fit and finish, crappy paint, and overall driving dynamics of my Impreza are pretty much identical to every Nissan product I've owned. It's actually why I felt comfortable buying a Subaru

The resale of Subaru is much better tho, so I had to buy the Saab variant.

Qxxx4
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4, 2012 Mustang

be careful prying off the pins. I broke one relay....gotta go out n get a new one now haha

the radio shack ones look easier to work on, its hard to get at the pins on the nissan ones since theres the plastic casing all around the pins.

i have the wire soldered to the ac relay just gotta get a new relay for the fr fog. I was thinking i could just take a relay from horn or rear defrost...can i? they arent blue so im guessing their different?

whats the safest replacement relay to use on the fr fog.....30A, or can i just use the one for the horn or defrost

KoukiS14

I concur. . the RS one was easier to work with, but mine failed and started staying in the open state, so I just modded the factory relay.

slickroger

this is my box

Qxxx4

your box looks similar to mine with the layout, but your blue relays look way smaller....the #30 pin for AC (if you choose that one like bmlawless did) is hard to get at if you use the factory relay....i had to shove the wire from one end with some solder in it and my iron through the other trying not to melt the coil. tricky but i managed. maybe those are different.

Qxxx4

ps, roger, your avatar sorta makes your pathy look like a qx56.....in my opinion lol

ReKleineR
Car: 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder SE

KoukiS14 wrote:Man I've never realized anyone has that negative of a perception of Subaru. . you're not being serious, are you? The feel of the two brands is identical, and Subaru isn't exactly a step down from Nissan. The fit and finish, crappy paint, and overall driving dynamics of my Impreza are pretty much identical to every Nissan product I've owned. It's actually why I felt comfortable buying a Subaru

The resale of Subaru is much better tho, so I had to buy the Saab variant.
Subarus Efin ROCK!! The STI is rediculous! I was gonna buy an 03 wrx instead of my pathy, but they wanted like 18k for it and it had 50k miles. I'm not that rich...

KoukiS14

ReKleineR wrote:
Subarus Efin ROCK!! The STI is rediculous! I was gonna buy an 03 wrx instead of my pathy, but they wanted like 18k for it and it had 50k miles. I'm not that rich...
I like 'em. . I mean, I only got one because the R50 was bankrupting me (I shall return, tho ). . Nissan doesn't offer a small awd wagon, or I would have bought that.

Mine's N/A, but feels exactly like driving my 240sx.

KoukiS14

Qxxx4 wrote:your box looks similar to mine with the layout, but your blue relays look way smaller....the #30 pin for AC (if you choose that one like bmlawless did) is hard to get at if you use the factory relay....i had to shove the wire from one end with some solder in it and my iron through the other trying not to melt the coil. tricky but i managed. maybe those are different.
yeah I didn't expect totally different relays. . man. . wtf. I'll bet if you crack 'em open they have a similar layout

screwinitupagain
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Here ya go Roger check these out (maybe they'll help)

For 99.5+ wiringhttp://www.4x4parts.com/ubbthr...12527

the original post for 96-99 wiringhttp://www.4x4parts.com/ubbthr...10524 I am assuming this is what you are talking about, but then again you know what happens when you ASSUME (you make an AS$ out of U & ME)

slickroger

thanks everyone for the help. Im gonna take a look at that tomorrow.

Im still having a lot of trouble with my power steering and now my ipod video is dying on me.

Frustration y'all remember that game with the domed dice.

body80

Just wanted to make sure you got my email. I Should get the rest of the pictures I need this weekend and finish the write-up

ReKleineR
Car: 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder SE

fukinitupagain wrote:Here ya go Roger check these out (maybe they'll help)

For 99.5+ wiringhttp://www.4x4parts.com/ubbthr...12527

the original post for 96-99 wiringhttp://www.4x4parts.com/ubbthr...10524 I am assuming this is what you are talking about, but then again you know what happens when you ASSUME (you make an AS$ out of U & ME)
What the heck! thats where I got the mod directions, and they were wrong, as you'll see the next post says different.

I did it exactly the way the first post says, and it fried the wire in my blinker handle thingy...

slickroger

body80 wrote:Just wanted to make sure you got my email. I Should get the rest of the pictures I need this weekend and finish the write-up
Thanks for the e-mail and yes i got it.

all i did so far is mod the fogs so they stay on when the highbeams are on.was extremely easy and works great.

just need one short wire to bypass the ground that gets cut when the highbeams go on. so the switch has a permanent ground when both beams are on.

not really sure if i gonna do the fog alone mod because im afraid of killing my battery especially because i never flip the fog switch i leave it on so the fogs come on with the automatic lights. also i play my stereo a lot without the truck running and this would probably kill my battery twice as fast if i forgot and left the fogs on.

Modified by slickroger at 6:03 PM 9/10/2008

screwinitupagain
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE

ReKleineR wrote:
What the heck! thats where I got the mod directions, and they were wrong, as you'll see the next post says different.

I did it exactly the way the first post says, and it fried the wire in my blinker handle thingy...
Damn thats wierd, cauase when I did mine everything turned out alright, but then again I have a '97 so it might be a completely different thing

hume15
Car: 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder SE limited Edition

What kind of grill is that? I want to get something like it.

ubpsanity
Car: 2001 Pathfinder SE, 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder

Ya, the foglight mod is a good one in Ontario. We get fairly severe winter storms here with close to no visibility, or zero visibility. With the mod, you can choose to just run the foglights alone which will cut down so much on the glare.

I don't use my foglights if it's not foggy, wish I could get some nice driving lights to fit in the factory spot.

Salem240
Car: '05 Pathfinder 4X4 SE
'98 240SX SE

Hate to threadjack but has anyone tried this Mod on an '05 & up Pathfinder? Thanks

slickroger

the grill is an ebay grill the 5 piece set

I also went ahead and did the other mod so i now have full control of the fogs with the switch on the blinker handle ill take pictures and put them up soon.

JHC828
Car: M56S / Escalade ESV Platinum / Lexus LS F Sport
FX50S & M45 - sold

Anxiously awaiting pics!

slickroger

sorry i went away for the weekend

Day pics,

Just Fogs

Fogs Headlights

Fogs Highbeams (I know its daytime and you cant tell)

what i did:just popped the relay off, put it in the space beside the connector it came out of. ran the turn on switch to the ciggarette lighter.

night pics coming soon

fusion
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE 3.5 4WD

slickroger wrote:all i did so far is mod the fogs so they stay on when the highbeams are on.was extremely easy and works great.

just need one short wire to bypass the ground that gets cut when the highbeams go on. so the switch has a permanent ground when both beams are on.
Could you give me more details on this... what specifically should I do? Will it work on my 02? I have already done the mod for independent fog light control but they turn off when I activate the high beams... would like to override this. Thanks.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Anybody have more details about the specific wires to ground/short to keep fog lamps on while high beams are on? slickroger's photo is a bit overexposed and it's difficult to see clearly what exactly was done.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Do I need to ground the yellow/black wire (pin 32) in harness E63? Looking at EL-90 (2001.5 FSM) that's the wire that's tied to the HI/LO/PASS setting on the combination switch.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

fusion wrote:
slickroger wrote:all i did so far is mod the fogs so they stay on when the highbeams are on.was extremely easy and works great.

Could you give me more details on this... what specifically should I do? Will it work on my 02? I have already done the mod for independent fog light control but they turn off when I activate the high beams... would like to override this. Thanks.
I just did this mod. You need to take off your steering cover, find the fog light wiring harness (it has two wires leading to it, it's around the top left; you can check your FSM for the exact position) and ground the ground wire (in my case, the middle wire; check your FSM for a schematic) to a ground that's permanently available. I found a screw that was grounded on the left hand side, and then cut the ground wire in the fog light harness, soldered on a new wire as an extension, and on the end of that wire crimped on a ring terminal (22 gauge) to place beneath that screw. Works well, though I used too long of a wire as an extension, but that's no big deal. Make sure to use heatshrink. If you need a picture I can provide one soon.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”