fluid changes-will it really matter at this point?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Emile
Car: 2000 I30t

dealer suggests: trans service coolant service and replace 2 "soft" hoses[top and bottom]replace brake fluid

149,000 2000 i30t runs well no codes oil chg every 4000

coolant and tran done at 70Knever touched brake fluid or hoses

plan to run car 3 -6 more months@15K/yr mostly hwy

but never know ,made need to keep longer before purchase of a 2007GShould I spend the 500 at the dealer, or some or none, saving $ for 2007 purchase?Thanks

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

Regardless whether you are selling/disposing the car in a few months, for as long as you (and your family) are riding on it, you have to address 2 safety items:1. If the hoses are 'soft' they must be replaced immediately. If either one gets busted, the engine will overheat (beyond repair?) and you may get stranded in the middle of nowhere. 2. Your brakes may fail you when you need it most. The brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture/water) so there is probably a high level of water in it since no service was ever done. Presence of water in the fluid may reduce the boiling point by as much as 100F. The brake fluid may boil during high-speed braking and thus loose braking efficiency.

If you are going to sell you car, you might as well have the transmission flushed. 79K miles from last service is such a long time.

If you are handy with tools, you can do all of these on your own.- you can replace both hoses. These items should be available at your neighborhood car parts store or you can buy them from NICO sponsor, IoS - infinitipartsUSA.com (25% off MSRP)-you need 2 liters of DOT 3 brake fluid to bleed the brakes. It's typically a 2-man job unless speed bleeder valves are installed in the car. There is one bleeder valve in each brake assembly. Bleed from the farthest point (rear) towards the nearest point (front).-for the coolant, you can buy 2 gallons of 50/50 (premixed) or buy a gallon of coolant and a gallon of distilled water and mix them. Your choice of draining the entire coolant (radiator and engine block) or just the radiator. There is a drain plug at the bottom of the radiator. If I were you, I will not remove the drain plug on the engine (may be hard to remove and can even cause leak)-for the transmission, pan drop is followed by a flush desirable but may not be practical in your case. You can just do multiple drain and refill. Just make sure the engine is warm and the fluid is at the correct level before doing drain and refill. Your car requires Nissan Matic-D but Dexron III or the newer and better Dexron VI should do the job. Mobil I ATF will also do but a bit more expensive. Total capacity is 10- quarts but you need at least 12 quarts for the fluid replacement. Run the engine for 90-100 seconds while shifting gear. Stop and drain the fluid. You may need to do this 3 or 4 times. This may not match the transmission flush at the shop but it's much better than nothing.

You can also download a copy of the FSM, available from this site, if needed.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”