Fit Versus Versa

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
cybexdave

(Just posted this to epinions.com and thought it might be of interest here as well)

I recently went looking for a small, economical car to purchase as primarily a commuter vehicle for myself, but also something that could be taken on long haul trips. Day to day commuting was most important in my mind, as was gas mileage, but again, I also really wanted something that would also be (hopefully) good enough to take on long trips.

I did all my research online and read a whole bunch of user reviews and reviews by the car press. Based on that information, I was almost 90 percent settled that I was going to buy a Honda Fit Sport. Keep in mind, that I love Hondas, especially their reliability, overall quality, mileage, and resale value. Also, the most recent car I owned was a Honda Accord, fully tricked out, with leather, moon roof, etc. I loved that car, it was amazing.

Really, there were only 3 cars that I seriously considered. The Fit, a Toyota Yaris, and the Nissan Versa. Based on my research, I pretty much eliminated the Yaris. First of all because it was ridiculously ugly, and second of all because it was quite a bit smaller than the other two. I’m 6’2”, and although I knew I was going to be pretty squished driving this class of car, I didn’t want to be *that* squished. I also had previously test driven a Scion HB and a Toyota Matrix, and was seriously *not* impressed compared to the Honda fit (which I had also previously test driven). Both of those models were quite underpowered, too small, and so, scratch the Yaris.

So, off we go, time to buy a car. Again, I was like 90 percent sure that I was going to end up with a Honda Fit Sport. But I figured, what the heck, might as well stop at the Nissan dealership before going over to Honda to purchase my Fit. I walked in the door with almost no preconceived notions—except of course, that this was pretty much going to be a waste of time, and also that I was going to buy a Fit. But, I figured it would be good to at least be able to tell the Honda folks that I was considering a Versa—might help my bargaining position.

I test drove a Versa SL with a CVT transmission. It didn’t have all the options I wanted, but it did have ABS and the intelligent keyless entry convenience package including Bluetooth phone. I drove it for like 25 minutes, including highway driving at about 75mph. I then immediately went over to the Honda dealership and test drove a top of the line Fit Sport, with all available options, again for like 25 minutes including highway driving. Cutting to the chase—here are my observations:

- HOLY CRAP I can’t believe the Versa! It is a significantly better vehicle overall, in almost every category.- MPG is exactly the same for both, 27/33, so that isn’t a deciding factor- Versa beats the Fit in horsepower. It feels like a much more powerful vehicle when accelerating. The CVT transmission probably helps in this area. There is a smidgen of lag when you press on the accelerator, but overall it’s quite peppy and responsive. - Dear goodness I LOVE that CVT transmission! If that were the only difference between the vehicles, I’d probably have bought it for that reason alone. It keeps the engine revs down to 2300 or less almost all the time, even while accelerating. It also keeps engine noise down (because the RPMs, when accelerating, are almost always under 2,000ish). I had never driven a CVT before that day, and I must say, I was really, really impressed. - Speaking of noise, I simply couldn’t get over the fact about how QUIET that Versa is. It’s almost luxury car quiet on the highway. When coming to a stop light, the Versa is so quiet that several times I wondered whether it had stalled (it hadn’t of course), but that just goes to show you how quiet it was. The Fit, but comparison, whines and squeals, and especially on the highway, with RPMs over 3000, it’s quite a bit louder with a lot more wind noise and road noise. The Fit reminded me of economy cars that I have owned in the past, while the Versa literally and truly felt like my Accord, like a small luxury car. The Fit, when travelling at highway speeds in and amongst big trucks, was *seriously* being buffeted on the road. Altogether a very unsatisfactory ride at highway speeds (75ish). I got the impression that driving the Fit for a 10+ hour trip would be a nightmare of noise and difficulty controlling it due to buffeting. The Versa, by comparision, was near whisper quiet, and was only very slightly buffeted/unstable when confronted with 18 wheelers in front/side of you, and nearly drove itself. The ride of the Versa is slightly less “sporty/firm”, but a little more comfortable over bumps and potholes—this was especially noticeable on the highway. The Fit had that “sporty” ride/handling, but that same sportiness was quite jarring over highway strips and potholes. - As far as options went, hands down, the Versa won in that department. Bluetooth, intelligent keyless entry, 6 CD changer, moon roof, etc. None of those options were offered on the top-of-the-line Fit Sport. I *do* like my cars to be fully tricked out, and clearly the Versa was superior in that category.- Roominess and spaciousness, again, the Versa won hands down. *Several* more inches of leg room in the rear. The rear seats in the Versa were downright luxurious and comfortable, with loads more space than the fit. I had my teenage daughter (who knows nothing about cars and could care less what brand I bought) sit in the back for both test rides, and she said hands down, no question, the Versa was ridiculously more comfortable in the back. Both the rear and front seats were quite a bit more comfortable in the Versa—I think they come with memory foam.- The only thing that I liked better on the Honda was the fold down/up rear seats, which left a lot of cargo room and versatility. Unfortunately, however, it seems that the price you pay for that versatility is comfort. Frankly, when it comes down to it, I’d rather have a vehicle where I actually can take it on the road for a long trip and have my daughters be comfortable, than have that cargo versatility, although I can see how some would decide the other way (say if you were single and didn’t plan on driving with other people for long distances).- The front seats were quite a bit firmer/more uncomfortable on the Fit. If you are young, or have a well-padded rear, I can see where this wouldn’t matter much to you (or where you might prefer the Fit). For those of us, however, who need to commute in a car for 1.5 hours a day, I’d take the Versa—slightly more padding, and definitely more comfortable. - Where are the arm rests in the Fit? Where is the Dead pedal for your left foot? Sheesh, I didn’t know where to put my arms when driving the Fit—I ended up putting them in my lap. I’ve never had a car that didn’t have arm rests, and this was pretty disconcerting for me.- I did like the “coolness” of the Fit’s instrument panel slightly better than the Versas. The Versa was just fine, nothing to write home about, but again, the Fit doesn’t even come close when it comes to options, and so if I had to choose, I’d choose the Versa’s options over the Fit’s cool instrument pod any day of any week. Overall though, I had to give some points back to the Versa, because it had armrests, and a much more luxurious/soft feel to the interior rather than a “plasticy” feel that the Fit had.- Price wise, they were in a dead tie, very similar. But again, more standard options on the Versa than on the Fit for the same money. Plus, that CVT is worth something and you can’t get that in the Fit.- Looks wise, I give a slight edge to the Versa overall. The Fit, for some reason, looks very strange/anemic in the rear. Some of the styling elements of the Versa are similarly strange (the rear tail lights, and the front hood), but again, overall the Versa just “looks” better, especially from the rear (and especially if you get the sports package on the Versa which has a spoiler and ground effects/custom bumpers).- Reliability is an unknown for me. Of course, Honda’s have a better reputation for reliability than Nissans, so it remains to be seen how much more time in the shop this equates to. The Versa does have a 5/60000 warranty versus the Honda’s 3/36000.

Here’s the bottom line: Despite never having owned a Nissan in my life, and being a died in the wool Honda fan, I ended up buying the Versa SL with every single available option including moon roof, ABS, XM radio, Bluetooth, etc. To me, I felt the Versa is a small luxury car, high tech, with all the bells and whistles. It’s more comfortable, more luxurious, and more high tech. Did I mention how ridiculously quiet it is? The Fit, by comparison, is much more of an “economy” car, and it feels like it, rides like it, and handles like it. I think a 12 hour drive in a Fit would be an exercise in torture, with the distinct possibility that I would be drained from the noise and strain as it was buffeted about on the highway. I sincerely suggest you test drive *both* vehicles, back to back, and especially at highway speeds to fully appreciate the differences between the two vehicles.

Rockhound
Car: 2007 Versa 1.8 SL HB CVT / 2008 Mazda3 GT

That was a great read...thanks for sharing.

It sounds like we have much the same car - I too am impressed with all the options you can throw in this car. I'm not sure if Honda even offers Bluetooth in the Civic yet, so at this price point the Versa seems positively stuffed with features.

When it came time to get my wife a new car, she didn't even want to look at the Fit...she liked the styling of the Versa, so we went for a test drive. I couldn't believe the quietude on that drive - it blew me away. I knew then and there that this was what we were going to get. I have yet to see one of the buff books come out and just praise the Versa for one positive quality - they seem to go on and on about the Fit's sporty nature, but I can't believe that none of those writers haven't noticed how quiet the interior is, even compared to larger, up-market cars.

I come from a dyed-in-the-wool Nissan family, and after 6 flawless Nissan/Infiniti cars I didn't have any apprehension about the Versa's reliability. So far, so good.

jacksan1

As far reliability is concerned, it appears that the early production Versas have had a number of problems, which is showing up in the currently available JD Power & Associates survey:

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/Nissan/Versa/2007

However, I would urge caution in using the above data, as it really is about the early production vehicles, and things are appearing to look better these days for the Versa. Consumer Reports, for instance, has placed a mark of "Recommended" on the Versa in the recent auto issue, which cannot be given unless the vehicle is at least "average" in terms of reliability.

About the mileage, I think that the Fit wins, even with the EPA ratings. Anecdotal data suggests that it's darn near impossible to get under 35 MPG in a Fit driving highway, whereas lots of people who drive the Versa have a hard time getting to that number. But if that is not a primary issue for you, the Versa gets you a decent mileage in comfort.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

I'm not too worried about the reliability of the Versa either. Yes, there model got of to a rocky start, since the plant in Mexico had never built one before... but by December 06, all the kinks seemed to have been worked out of the system, and Versas produced since then have had little or no trouble.

Also, if you want a reliability guinea pig, this is the perfect board. kc5f has over 40,000 miles on his V now. Closing in on 50k pretty soon I would imagine.

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

42,400 miles, if you want to get picky! 50k should come in late January. And my Versa is an early one, built in July of 2006, and the only problem I've had with it it the passenger air bag cover corner popping up, which was replaced under warranty. Still lovin' it!

(And my daughter bought one too - no problems with hers, either, although she's putting on considerably less miles!)

Bubs daddy
Car: 2007 Versa SL
ABS, CVT

That sounds like my experience exactly. I was CERTAIN I was getting the 6 speed manual. NO ONE was talking me out of it.

Until I, of course, took a test drive in a Versa with the CVT.

And I still can't believe how quiet the Versa is. Amazing.

Nice write up, Dave. This is my first Nissan, too.

07Vsdn
Car: 2007 Versa SL Sedan

and have you seen the new fit? 2009 I believe? looks terrible...

i think the current fit looks "fun"; but the new model.... fugly.

we also test drove the fit and i agree, i like the fold flat seats but i wouldn't want to give up the versa's GREAT back seats for that option.

i also liked the paddle shifters in the fit. but, i doubt it is something we would have used very much.

cybexdave

Darnit, I think epinions deleted my review. Sheesh. Anyone know of another site I can post it at? Guess it was... I dunno.

Yeah, I'm lovin my Versa, no doubt. I especially appreciate the upgraded sound system with the built in factory subwoofer. Delicious!

I had paddle shifters on another car once, and it was just a gimmick. I never used the dang things, so it was money wasted.

So far, I'm at about 800 miles, no troubles yet. 28.1mpg overall on my last tank, which isn't bad considering the number of traffic lights I sit at. That's about 50% highway 50% city.

My favorite way of driving the CVT is to start off slow, and just a couple of seconds after I start, you can see (note: SEE, not feel. You have to be looking at the RPM gague to see this) it shift from the low gear to high gear, and *then* I accelerate. Keeps the RPMs way down, even while accelerating. Once the engine gets broken in, I'm hoping for over 30 in day to day commute.

Bubs daddy
Car: 2007 Versa SL
ABS, CVT

You'll hit the 30 mark if you keep it at 3000 and under. My commute used to be 45 minutes, half city/half highway. 33 mpg consistently.

I didn't have the paddle shifter but that manu-matic thing in my former Sonata. Great car but I never used that shifter feature either. Just put it into drive.

lain
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S

My Versa doesn't have an armrest. Lol when I got my car I didn't care about anything...not even the looks. The only real reason why I got the Versa was because I love Nissan and I wanted a new one that was a brand new model. This was back in early 2006 I saw that Nissan was coming out with a Nissan Versa, said thats the one. Didn't get it until a 1 1/2 years later because I forgot about it. My aunt bought a Honda Fit, I stepped it in, I like the seats alot better because they hold you in more then the Versa but I thought the dash was too plain and liked the Versa one better. I will want to test drive a Fit just for the fun of it, I might this Saturday while my car is at the shop. Might as well take a Yaris on the road cause I'm going to have like 2-3 hours to wait. lol think I'll take a scion xa for a spin also.

this read makes me interested in test driving the CVT now...want to see what all the talk is about.

bikeman
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL

cybexdave wrote: The Versa does have a 5/60000 warranty versus the Honda’s 3/36000.
Just as a point of clarification, the Fit & Versa have the same warranty. 3/36000 and 5/60000 on the powertrain.

David

reyes1212
Car: Super Black '07 Nissan Versa

Wow, quite a lengthy topic and replies, but wonderful indeed, it is. At first glance of the topic I almost thought this thread was going to be moe on the racing side of things rather than a comparison lolNonetheless, good read.

tweety73
Car: NISSAN TIIDA SEDAN 1.6 A/T

Good !! But I still can't understand the motive of the comparison of those two . I'm not living in the states , and here in ISRAEL the TIIDA is positioned as a competitor to car like : Corola, Focus , Mazda 3 , Megane , VW Golf/Jetta , 307 , Opel Astra , Chevrolet Optra , Honda CIvic , Huynday i30 and the list is long...

I really can't understand how the Honda fit (here Jazz) is a part of the equation since it positioned as a super-mini like: Opel Corsa, Huynday Getz, Nissan Micra, Clio , Yaris , Aveo , Mazda 2 , ford Fiesta and others.. so it's like comparing apples to oranges - and sure the Nissan will win hands down when I replaced my 2003 Clio few months ago , I wanted a bigger car , due the fact the Clio was too small for our needs .. we never even considered the Jazz , (but we did 5 years ago when we bought the Clio ) The versa has WB as Corolla for instance , and it's "SEDAN-1.6-AUTOMATIC" the most preferable configuration here ... FAMILYMATIC (in Hebrew it sounds better )
Modified by tweety73 at 11:41 PM 11/16/2007

bikeman
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL

tweety73 wrote:I really can't understand how the Honda fit (here Jazz) is a part of the equation
Three reasons that I can think of. Price, 4dr. hatchback and Consumer Reports. Once Consumer Reports puts a vehicle in a certain category, that's where it'll stay regardless of reality. The U.S. government uses interior volume as the primary indicator of where a vehicle "fits" in so the Fit and Versa are not in the same category according to the government.

David

jacksan1

In the rest of the world, the Versa (Tiida) and Fit are not seen in the same segment. In Japan, Nissan's direct competition against the Fit is the NOTE. The Tiida's biggest competition there, as it is for every car in that particular segment, is the Corolla family (that includes several body types).

And as it is true against every car, the Corolla is trouncing the Tiida in sales. I don't quite understand it....

In North America where pitifully few good small cars exist, a cross-segment comparison like the Versa vs. Fit is bound to happen. For the rest of the world, no such confusion exists.

tweety73
Car: NISSAN TIIDA SEDAN 1.6 A/T

jacksan1 wrote:And as it is true against every car, the Corolla is trouncing the Tiida in sales. I don't quite understand it....

You right , here in Israel the new Corolla is a star most of it due the fact that people here doesn't know much about cars , get their recommendation from the next door neighbor , and this is what he bought ... and this tiny lesson in "psychology of buying" - due the fact that the new corolla has that robotic-idiotic transmission-(and not conventional A/T like you guys will have when the new Corolla will start to sell in the US) , and no M/T version can be found here and most the peaple here doesn't know how "eat" it and they are very disappointed from the car .. but hey they won't admit it after all it's TOYOTA ....

The TIIDA has failed in Israel , just because of that

Return to “Versa General Chat”