"First Legal R32 GT-R in America"?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
usafdarkhorse
Car: 1990 Honda NSX #382
1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R #2317
1972 Datsun 240Z

I'm sure some of you are tracking on this story. If not, here it is:

http://jalopnik.com/meet-the-man-who-le ... 43/@travis

Buyer basically admits in the article that he got away with it at the border because of the ambiguity between Canadian and Japanese titles and their definitions of age.

This isn't exactly true though, because it doesn't matter where the car originated from as it still needs to be 25 years old from date of manufacture, not from whatever the title states.

From NHTSA:

"A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS. Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation. If you wish to see that form, you may download a copy from our website at www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import. You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used."

The discrepancy has caused quite the debate on the automotive blog Opposite Lock. What say you NICO GTR forum?

usafdarkhorse
Car: 1990 Honda NSX #382
1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R #2317
1972 Datsun 240Z

My input, from whatever Customs officials may say about year vs month vs week vs exact date of manufacture, these are the rules and I would not chance ineligibility to have the car 8-12 months early. The US Gov't pretty much does what it wants.

My personal car is a later 1989 car, October, and I will be waiting until October or most likely later to try to import. I am just wary of these Canadian import market cars suddenly becoming illegitimate because a Gov't entity changed its mind.

VandrelSOUSA

Not calling anyone a bad guy here at all. Kudos for getting the car over is my thoughts. Our laws are silly in those regards anyway, still have to follow them though.

All that needs to be asked here is one thing, if ICE were to take your chassis# (VIN) and run it in FAST or even the simple internet JDM chassis decoder that most don't know about, what are they going to find? If the answer is less then 25 years then there you have it.

There's plenty of people calling tons of different resources today trying to get answers on this one. The last thing I'd want is the government to get sick of it and pull the carpet out from under all of us because of the popularity. I doubt that'd happen but wouldn't put it past the government :)

The difference between the paperwork is what I'd consider a smoke a mirrors tactic. It works but we all know the truth.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

VandrelSOUSA wrote:Not calling anyone a bad guy here at all. Kudos for getting the car over is my thoughts. Our laws are silly in those regards anyway, still have to follow them though.
THIS.

Honestly, the "drool-cup meter" on this thing is pegged. A lot of these guys are staking their entire life savings on a car they've never driven, never touched, and have no idea how they're going to maintain or insure... Meanwhile, there are countless other RWD Nissans being built in garages and shops all across America that will hand the R32 its arse in a basket - and can be built without all the drama and panic.

I'm as big a fan of Nissan's flagship sports car as anyone, but I think we're going to see a real backlash when these cars start arriving and they're rusted, damaged, or just worn the hell out. Knowing some of the people importing these cars, and the "fudging" they're doing on mileage and condition, it's just ludicrous.

Would you buy a 1989 240sx from Massachusetts sight unseen? No difference. They're 25 years old. They're not garage-kept. They were on an island, exposed to humidity and salt spray. And when the car arrives, and it's NOT "as advertised", who are they going to cry to?

Sorry - I'm a realist, and I'm strongly considering buying up a few cases of windshields, knowing full well that 90% of the buyers don't even have a clue where to get one if it needs replacing.

nijuT
Car: 2012 Volt

I spoke to the guy who brought it down and I don't think he has anything to worry about. He filled out the paperwork truthfully. In the block on HS-7 that asks for the manufacture date he put '1989', not 1/1/1989. The agent asked him if he had anything showing a more specific date and he said no. The agent accepted this and cleared the car. If anything, if this is brought to the attention of certain higherups at the NHTSA, I can see them issuing updated guidance to CBP on enforcement, and the next person to try and bring one through may get turned around at the border. But so long as you aren't falsifying documents or lying on your forms, I can't see them seizing a vehicle that was cleared by a customs agent, with paperwork that was filled out truthfully.

Edit: I'm not saying they can't or won't, it just seems very unlikely to me.

HHan

Been following this for a few days as well. I have to admit, my feelings are a bit mixed. As far as the owner goes, good for him; I'd sure like to have an R32 in my garage right now instead of waiting. Like nijuT said, it's unlikely that his car will be seized IMO.

By now we've all read the requirements and have discussed them amongst each other for some time. I still see lots of different importers or otherwise well informed people disagreeing on the matter so it makes me wonder "what's what?". I share your sentiments usafdarkhorse and Vandrel. It's not worth the risk to me, to get a car early, when we've all waited this long already.

AZhitman- Stock up on those windshields! Us numbnuts are going to need the help of the realists! Haha, seriously, it's ridiculous how much the future 89' owners (my self included) are willing to pay and potentially suffer by owning one of these drama queens :crazy:

P.S. Vandrel- Check the Rivsu facebook messages and please respond to the one from Harris, if you have the time soon! I sent a message with a few preliminary questions about importing through Rivsu, if you don't mind. Was recommended by another user on this forum. (Sorry to go off topic mods, can't send PM's yet).

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

AZhitman wrote:Honestly, the "drool-cup meter" on this thing is pegged. A lot of these guys are staking their entire life savings on a car they've never driven, never touched, and have no idea how they're going to maintain or insure... Meanwhile, there are countless other RWD Nissans being built in garages and shops all across America that will hand the R32 its arse in a basket - and can be built without all the drama and panic.

I'm as big a fan of Nissan's flagship sports car as anyone, but I think we're going to see a real backlash when these cars start arriving and they're rusted, damaged, or just worn the hell out. Knowing some of the people importing these cars, and the "fudging" they're doing on mileage and condition, it's just ludicrous.

Would you buy a 1989 240sx from Massachusetts sight unseen? No difference. They're 25 years old. They're not garage-kept. They were on an island, exposed to humidity and salt spray. And when the car arrives, and it's NOT "as advertised", who are they going to cry to?

Sorry - I'm a realist, and I'm strongly considering buying up a few cases of windshields, knowing full well that 90% of the buyers don't even have a clue where to get one if it needs replacing.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”