FFR's 380whp goal Thread

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
ffrpwner
Car: 1994 300zx n/a (sold)
1992 300zx tt

Alright guys it begins!

I know i recently became a mod but that doesn't mean i am a expert i still have questions and i hope you guys don't think less of me as a mod.

Help me learn =).

My Goal is 450whp. I would like the option of having a setting that would allow me to reach 500whp for track use only...I would rarely go to the track.

I will be completing this by next summer.

1. Best turbos for me to buy? I was looking at the the sport 500's. But im all about good deals and spending the least amount as money as possible. There is a guy on 3zc that made over 500whp on a stock motor no internal work at all. he is using the stock turbos from a r32 i believe GT28r..

2. Fuel system. The person i bought my 7 from told me he got 550cc injectors. There has to be a way to tell because i want to make sure he was not lying. If i do have 550cc's would it be fine to just keep them or should i upgrade fuel rails and to 740.

3. Im getting all my intercooler piping and my down pipes custom fabed by B&T motorsports in Lorton, Va. Im going front mount! personal choice and Dave(aka Gino) convinced me he never had problems with it and has always had it on his tt since before the build. Its a personal choice by me. I will be upgrading oil cooler and radiator

4. pulling the motor to replace turbos put in the dps and paint the engine bay. I will be pulling the plenium and cleaning crap up

5. 120 k kit will be done before all of this and i think i want to change the timing belt just to be safe even though i was told it was changed at 90k

6. aluminum one piece driveshaft, stage 3 south bend clutch and light weight flywheel.

7. I have a jwt ecu tuned for pop charger. Not strong in the area of tuning and ecu chips...etc.

8. getting a good boost controller and no bovs just gunna use the stcok set up.

This is a learning process for me i want to come out of this with my goal reached and i want to be more knowledgeble so i can help more people.

I would like to hear or advice and tips for me. especially in the fuel delivery area and ecu tuning area. I will start buying parts in a few weeks i hope to pull the engine around spring break. Ill be happy with 410 to 480 whp im not looking for huge power and i dont plan on really building this car till after i graduate hold a job for a while and have a house of my own. I Know this will hold me over till then. i always take care of my cars i will rebuild the engine ehh 250k haha. This car is my dd for now but i plan on buying a nice dd next year or the summer after next so i dont reach the 250k mark two soon. right now im at 108k

:dblthumb:

Now for your ideas and thoughts!

Z32TT
Car: 90' 300ZX TT

R32's dont have gt28r's stock they have a crappy ceramic style t28, Dave is running a vertical type FMIC otherwise i wouldnt really bother with the average horizontal type. You can go sport 525's or go BB type GT600R's (akaGT28r's) which are 5 bolt, i recommend goin DA 740's topfeed fuel rail, good clutch/fly, full exhaust dp's back, manifolds while your there, dual pop(selin preffered), A/F wideband Innovate or AEM, and Nistune. Oh yea also need a phat wallet your goin to be spending alot of dough, more then what you think im sure.

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

how phat of a wallet ha. Im gunna do manifolds as well. hmm how much would you estimate me spending if i do all the labor and i get some of the parts used? ive saw a guy selling some gt600R's for 900 bucks a few weeks ago...also do i need to buy the kit? or can i buy the turbos else where?

oh ps every time i see your sig im jealous of your stance. I love your z!

Z31toZ32
Car: 1999 Infinity QX4

I will be doing a similar type upgrade in the next year. I'm going with GT 675s and the 700 cc series injectors with a rail adapter. The 675s are what tim Davis recommended, as you can easily achieve those numbers with 18 psi or less, which is as high as you want to go on pump. The exu you can just send it to wolf with your mods and he'll program it for your application. Wollah, 500 hp.

Z32TT

I'd say get prepared to spend atleast 6-7 on the high. Well if you get the kit you get everything to just bolt right up, but if hes selling for 900 on both turbos then you can just out source the pieces on COZ or Z1 so you can install them as if it was a kit. Say 2g's for turbos w/kit, 1g for top feed, clutch/fly 5-600, manifolds 5-700, fmic 300-1000, you get the point..think of what you want exactly, write it down on paper, then price everything next to it and add it up then add another 1g on top of that for small s*** that you might have to buy as the unexpected sometimes happens.

Z32TT

Z31toZ32 wrote: The exu you can just send it to wolf with your mods and he'll program it for your application. Wollah, 500 hp.
If you going to be spending that much for HP you should honestly just get a good tune, nothing off the shelf (chips etc..)

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

My list so far.

GT28r turbos
Ams Manifolds
custom down pipes
Custom intercooler piping
vertical fmic
custom dual intakes
dyno tuning done by B&t motorsports

only thing i cant decide yet is which ebc i will get where my gauges are going to go and if i will keep my 550cc injectors or upgrade to 740. Looks like this might take some time

im not big on bovs will the stock recircs be up to the task?

Z32TT

If you have 550's already then just keep them.

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

It seems as though you have no direction and never know what you want to to do. First it was buy a TT engine and gradually build it, then it was a 2jz swap, now this.

marty1mc
Car: 1990 300zx TT - Z owner since 2003

Z32TT wrote:If you have 550's already then just keep them.
Agreed, you should have plenty for what you want to do. I only put in 740cc because they came with the rail package I bought.

I would also go with BB turbos. I bought the Sport 500's because I got them brand new for about $1000 cheaper than retail plus no cores. I would have gone with BB's if I hadn't. GT675's will give you some challenges with fitment. They are a very tight squeeze, but they do fit eventually. I would probably settle in with the sport 525's. You will have plenty to get 450rwhp.

Also, I would think very carefully about any FMIC. The more power you make, the more heat it's going to generate. I have seen way too many threads about cooling issues after installing an FMIC. I would either get Ash's massives, or an aftermarket SMIC to help with cooling the compressed air.
LIBRILZ wrote:It seems as though you have no direction and never know what you want to to do. First it was buy a TT engine and gradually build it, then it was a 2jz swap, now this.
I completely understand this emotion. I started out with a stock TT and within months I spent double the budget I had for it. It's very easy to do. The 2JZ is one sweet motor and I could understand why someone would ponder putting one in any car. So, it's easy to bounce around different configurations, especially when you haven't made up your mind.

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

LIBRILZ wrote:It seems as though you have no direction and never know what you want to to do. First it was buy a TT engine and gradually build it, then it was a 2jz swap, now this.
Like marty said its easy to bounce around and some people know exactly what they want. I had several ideas i went from single set up, to building a separate tt motor to 2jz. I researched each idea and realized all of those projects weren't the best thing to do so i finally settled on this.

vulcanrush
Car: 93 300zx n/a to tt

marty1mc wrote:
Z32TT wrote:If you have 550's already then just keep them.
Agreed, you should have plenty for what you want to do. I only put in 740cc because they came with the rail package I bought.

I would also go with BB turbos. I bought the Sport 500's because I got them brand new for about $1000 cheaper than retail plus no cores. I would have gone with BB's if I hadn't. GT675's will give you some challenges with fitment. They are a very tight squeeze, but they do fit eventually. I would probably settle in with the sport 525's. You will have plenty to get 450rwhp.

Also, I would think very carefully about any FMIC. The more power you make, the more heat it's going to generate. I have seen way too many threads about cooling issues after installing an FMIC. I would either get Ash's massives, or an aftermarket SMIC to help with cooling the compressed air.
not to disagree with you, marty1mc, because i think you're a pretty smart guy...but 740cc's, for sure.

a lot of 555's are the old-school ones, which don't handle ethanol that great.

as for the fmic, i like the smic's too, and it's funny you bring up the a-spec massives and fitment, they're a pita to get to fit.

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

i am going to upgrade to 740cc but I already have 550's installed they should be fine till i upgrade. and i like the look of the fmic...but i might consider bigger side mounts as well.

marty1mc

vulcanrush wrote:not to disagree with you, marty1mc, because i think you're a pretty smart guy...but 740cc's, for sure.

a lot of 555's are the old-school ones, which don't handle ethanol that great.

as for the fmic, i like the smic's too, and it's funny you bring up the a-spec massives and fitment, they're a pita to get to fit.
Oh, I agree with that. The new 555cc injectors are now labeled 615cc. My statement was simply related to injector flow capacity. But since he already has 550cc injectors, it doesn't cost anything to see how long they last. I would have bought 615cc injectors for my setup if I didn't get 740cc as part of the package.

However, the harness can be modified to help improve the longevity of the old pintel injectors. There is a write-up on JWT's website about it. The main reason they are failing is due to the old 90-93 harnesses and the constant 12v on the injectors even when the ignition is off. By modding the harness, the 12v can be applied only when the ignition is on. That keeps the corrosion down with Ethanol fuels.

vulcanrush

marty1mc wrote:
Oh, I agree with that. The new 555cc injectors are now labeled 615cc. My statement was simply related to injector flow capacity. But since he already has 550cc injectors, it doesn't cost anything to see how long they last. I would have bought 615cc injectors for my setup if I didn't get 740cc as part of the package.

However, the harness can be modified to help improve the longevity of the old pintel injectors. There is a write-up on JWT's website about it. The main reason they are failing is due to the old 90-93 harnesses and the constant 12v on the injectors even when the ignition is off. By modding the harness, the 12v can be applied only when the ignition is on. That keeps the corrosion down with Ethanol fuels.
have you gotten your beautiful car dyno-ed, marty?

marty1mc

vulcanrush wrote:have you gotten your beautiful car dyno-ed, marty?
No, I haven't yet. I probably won't until spring. I have a couple of projects in front of me right now. I have to swap a motor on an 91 Integra for my son and help my daughter replace the convertible top on her S2000. So, that is going to keep me busy for the next month or so...

Z31toZ32

why 740cc's for sure? since he already has 555's, they would flow more than enough to reach fpr's goal of 450 whp. to marty's reply point, it doesnt cost anything to leave them in. to replace with 740's will cost $1,000, and wouldn't offer any benefit over the 555's... right?

vulcanrush

Z31toZ32 wrote:why 740cc's for sure? since he already has 555's, they would flow more than enough to reach fpr's goal of 450 whp. to marty's reply point, it doesnt cost anything to leave them in. to replace with 740's will cost $1,000, and wouldn't offer any benefit over the 555's... right?

they handle ethanol gasoline better, that being the biggest benefit. from a cost perspective, no, not the most efficient thing to do...but then again, neither is 450rwhp. you don't want to find out later, oh the injectors are running rough, cuz then it'll be a plenum-pull, etc. if he's going to put new turbo's in, might as well do it now too, since putting new turbo's in aren't a bolt-on. i put in the 740cc's because they actually are cheaper than 555's (going from stock ones).

Z32TT

If he gets the topfeed injector kit, install/removal is about 5-10min tops

es.biggs
Car: 1990 300ZX 5sp NA

marty1mc wrote: However, the harness can be modified to help improve the longevity of the old pintel injectors. There is a write-up on JWT's website about it. The main reason they are failing is due to the old 90-93 harnesses and the constant 12v on the injectors even when the ignition is off. By modding the harness, the 12v can be applied only when the ignition is on. That keeps the corrosion down with Ethanol fuels.
I need to look up this harness mod. The injectors on my car were replaced <1 year ago and I want them to last as long as possible...Sounds like a simple fix - I like it!

FFR this is pretty sweet man. I hope you reach your goal without too much trouble, and I can't wait for the engine pull! Keep us posted, I'll keep popping in here once in a while

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

So ive been looking around for turbos. I know the size i want now i just need to settle on a brand....now buying them brand new is my last option i will do it but id rather search for a good deal. Ive been looking through ads for a while and would like to know if any of you have heard good or bad things.

garret gt28r's
Holset H1E 60 trim
Hks 2530
Godspeed GSP-600 T28(not likely ill get those)
garret gt2860rs disc potato

Im real interested in the holset since ive heard good things about them and there quality and they are priced pretty well.

Z32TT

es.biggs wrote:
marty1mc wrote: However, the harness can be modified to help improve the longevity of the old pintel injectors. There is a write-up on JWT's website about it. The main reason they are failing is due to the old 90-93 harnesses and the constant 12v on the injectors even when the ignition is off. By modding the harness, the 12v can be applied only when the ignition is on. That keeps the corrosion down with Ethanol fuels.
I need to look up this harness mod. The injectors on my car were replaced <1 year ago and I want them to last as long as possible...Sounds like a simple fix - I like it!
http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/f ... ewire.html

Gino
Car: 1990 300zxTT stage 5+++

marty1mc wrote: Also, I would think very carefully about any FMIC. The more power you make, the more heat it's going to generate. I have seen way too many threads about cooling issues after installing an FMIC. I would either get Ash's massives, or an aftermarket SMIC to help with cooling the compressed air.
The majority of the people that cry cooling issues when you mention FMIC have never experienced this, nor have an FMIC on their car. I can tell you first hand- from running 5 years on a stock rad (and I don't baby the car) with an FMIC (actually on the stock rad there were two different FMICs) and have never had my temp gauge go above half way. Even checked coolant temps through conzult with a friend who at the time had a stock rad and upgraded SMICs, and I was within 3 degrees of him. Ultimately it's your choice bro, what's your personal preference. If you have an upgraded rad (Which I would suggest whether you go FMIC or SMIC's) then you won't have any problems regardless. In theory you do get a little bit more lag out of an FMIC, but it also gives you a greater surface area exposed to moving air and over all volume than 90% of the SMIC's out there (i.e. better thermal efficiency). For the power goals you want there is no need for a custom FMIC like mine, you could make do just fine with an ebay one, or side mounts. You don't even need 2.5" piping, although it definitely would give a little extra for ya. In the end, get what you want. I know about 5 other guys in MD running FMIC's (greddy and ebay)- and even on 90+ degree days boosting the car on 3 hour drives we never have cooling issues.
ffrpwner wrote:So ive been looking around for turbos. I know the size i want now i just need to settle on a brand....now buying them brand new is my last option i will do it but id rather search for a good deal. Ive been looking through ads for a while and would like to know if any of you have heard good or bad things.

garret gt28r's
Holset H1E 60 trim
Hks 2530
Godspeed GSP-600 T28(not likely ill get those)
garret gt2860rs disc potato

Im real interested in the holset since ive heard good things about them and there quality and they are priced pretty well.
In this order:

Garrett GT28R's
HKS 2530
Garrett GT2860s (28RS) *will go well over your hp plans*

I wouldn't even consider the holset or the godspeeds. The H1E is roughly the size of a GT40r. It's a truck turbo..old technology...and just big (i.e. won't work without about doubling your price goal to include manifolds etc).

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

yeah found a great deal on some gt28r's that were sent back to garret for inspection and passed with flying colors. 850 bucks! need to make my own waste gates

I have to use a credit card to get them because its too good of a deal to pass on and i wasnt expecting to start buying parts for another couple months haha

car nut
Car: GT500.

You don't have your own credit card? Get on that immediately dude, you need to establish a credit score.

And don't be an idiot with it.

Z31toZ32

^ think he was saying this is headed to AP rather than a reduction in cash

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

lol i have been building credit since my sophomore year im good with credit haha.

900 bucks good deal =)

will be picking these up soon =)

and some ams manifolds to go with it...then a month of hard work to save up for boost controller intercooler and all the custom work....then after thats all done anoter month of hard work to save up for injectors (i just realized that the guy i bought the car from could of lie so i nee to make sure there 550ccs and if not well damn...theres more money i need to spend. theres gotta be an easy way to check what cc they are right?

then after that hopefully before valentines day i will be pulling the motor putting everything on doing the clutch flywheel and driveshaft then its off to the dyno.....damn im gunna be working hard for the next few months but im hoping in the end it will be worth it.

car nut
Car: GT500.

Congrats dude, seems like you have a solid plan for yourself. Best of luck!
ffrpwner wrote:lol i have been building credit since my sophomore year im good with credit haha.
You cannot build a credit score until you turn 18. Anything before that is in your parents name.

It's actually funny because if a credit card company were to give you a card when you're a minor (you specifically, not under your parents account or in their name), you could run up as much debt as you want before you turn 18 and not be liable for a cent of it.

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

That would be awesome! and well i have a decision to make i finanlly got a job after 7 months of being unemployed part of me wants to relax and enjoy having money atleast till christmas but i also want my hp ha

So for the next couple of days im going to be debating finnally having money to take my girl out on dates and pay all my bills or going into more debt for my car right away.

The only thing i would be missing out on are these turbos....its a great deal and there exactly what i want ugh

plus turns out the previous owner lied to me about the 550 injectors so thats more money i need to spend ha

I have my list put together though i will post that later today and i have an estimated price of everything as well

marty1mc

Get ahead of the debt. You can always choose to go into debt, you can't just choose to get out. If I were you, keep the dates simple. Save the extra cash, put it in savings. Then you can pay for whatever you want and not worry. I have a buddy that sold his Harley soon after I got mine. (I don't have mine anymore either). When I asked him why he said " I want the money to do something else, besides they make them every day." Same goes with turbos and just about everything else you will want. The things I would get now are the things that are going/ have gone end of production, like an Alternator harness. Z1 took the price from $275 to $475 when that happened. I bought mine from Coz who didn't try to take advantage...

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”