Few different questions

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
jrr1996
Car: 1991 nissan skyline gts-t R32

1: Would i be able to keep my skyline a rearwheel drive if i want to put a new rb26dett and rb25 transmission in it? what would the problems be if i wanted to do that conversion?

2: Would a stock rb25 transmission handle 850 HP?

please go easy I'm 18 and just wanting to start a project for myself to work on over the next winter or 2.

Wildtraveler
Car: 2012 mazdaspeed
1989 BNR32

If the car you purchase is naturally a rear wheel drive car then it would be a s*** load of work to make it not rear wheel drive. Plus the rb25 is rear wheel drive and so is the rb26. What trim level of car are you referring to? Why would you want an RB25 tranny? Did you mean all wheel drive? You left a huge hole in your questions I think. For us to help you, you may want to add some more detail to these questions. Best of luck to you. I did a simple search of "rb25 rear wheel drive" and there are threads out there.

fergyr31
Car: R31 Skyline GTS-X and GTS-R

yes you can keep your car rear wheel drive with a RB26 and RB25 transmission. However, you will either have to cut the front diff off the RB26 oil pan or use a RB25 oil pan in its place. The cast oil pan is a large part of the strength of the bottom of the RB26, so I recommend just cutting off the diff and welding up the holes where the front drive shaft runs through the oil pan. It took me a full day of work to get the diff off the RB26 oil pan.
A stock RB25 will not hold 850hp for very long depending on the type of driving you plan on doing. If you are going to roll race, then it would probably last a while. If you are going to drag race from a stand still, then not gonna last very long at all.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Wildtraveler wrote:If the car you purchase is naturally a rear wheel drive car then it would be a s*** load of work to make it not rear wheel drive. Plus the rb25 is rear wheel drive and so is the rb26. What trim level of car are you referring to? Why would you want an RB25 tranny? Did you mean all wheel drive? You left a huge hole in your questions I think. For us to help you, you may want to add some more detail to these questions. Best of luck to you. I did a simple search of "rb25 rear wheel drive" and there are threads out there.
The RB26 is set up for AWD, not RWD. He would want an RB25 trans on an RB26 if he wants to go RWD. As far as I know, there is no way to successfully remove the transfer case from the 26 trans and make it just a standard RWD trans.

To the OP. I hope you're aware of what you're getting into. If you're planning on dropping a 26 into a 32 or 33 RWD turbo, you'll also need the ECU and wiring harness. There are probably a few more things you'll need, though. The 25 trans on stock gear set will not hold 850HP. You might be looking to have the trans built to handle that kind of power.

It takes a lot of money to get a 26 to that power range, anyway...especially if you want reliability. Cheap a** Ebay parts will only fail. You want that power, spend money. Plan on close to $8000 $10,000 minimum just to get the engine to that level. You can get a 26 to about 400-450 with a boost increase, injector replacement/fuel pump, intercooler replacement and a good ECU tune. Anything after those mods will have to be mostly internal. Cams, pistons, definately an oil/water pump, good valve springs, etc. The 26 is not cheap to make that much power.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

I if you have a problem with me PM me and be a little more tactfull about how you call some one out. I read his comment as he was not sure if he would be able to keep the car RWD. Of coarse you can keep the car RWD. Now what needs to be done to be able to use and RB26 with and RB25 transmission and delete the front diff is to me a different question.

RainR32
Car: R32 GT-R / 2015 STI Stage 2

Wildtraveler wrote:I if you have a problem with me PM me and be a little more tactfull about how you call some one out. I read his comment as he was not sure if he would be able to keep the car RWD. Of coarse you can keep the car RWD. Now what needs to be done to be able to use and RB26 with and RB25 transmission and delete the front diff is to me a different question.
What's going on here :confused: Where's the love :stud:

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Lots of love just a misunderstanding.

M35Squirrel
Car: 1990 GT-R, 2011 M37

I thought Wildtraveler was trying to make a joke. Like saying trying to make a Camry into a non-FWD car will be very difficult, then of course unless you are NASCAR. Of which I still wonder where can I buy a STOCK Camry with V8 and RWD...?

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

I was just talking about that with my son. He said "why is it call a stock car when it's a race car". As I was explaining it I realized it don't make sense anymore

monte0704
Car: 1990 BNR32 GTR

For what it's worth, all the 240sx guys here in the states just put an RB25 oil pan on the RB26 and call it a day.

The engine has no idea there is a front diff and axle running through it. The ECU doesn't either. Only when you start getting to the attessa system does it start to matter.

For that fact, I'm pretty sure an RB25 transmission bolts right to the RB26 as well. Get rid of all the 4WD stuff right there.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”