Faulty Transmissions on 04-08 Maxima

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
velvet9902

The car has been a good car except for the transmissions is not wanting to go into 2nd and 3rd gear. Then when it does it jerks really hard which is now messing up the motor mounts. There are many people with this issue. I made a complaint with safetycar which is with the NHTSA.The more complaints they get they will investigate it and hopefully a recall will be issued. Here is the web site http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/. Please make a complaint to this issue needs to be resolved. We spend to much money for it not to be. Here is another web site you can write to as well http://www.consumeraffairs.com....html. The only way to fix this is to work together.

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

Aside from submitting a complaint with NHTSA, have you done servicing on your transmission? Which model year and what mileage do you have in your car. The Infiniti/Nissan transmissions are reliable and your car or the 6th Gen Maxima could be an exception. Transmission problems are more common with the Lexus ES350 and LS460.

I flush the transmission fluid in all my cars every 2 years plus a bottle of LubeGard Red and never have had any transmission issue (knock on wood).

Markc
Car: 2008 m35x
2005 infiniti G35

What flush method do you use? I bought this car in June of this year with 65K on it and don't know if it's ever been done. The fluid level is perfect as well as colour and odour. I was going to do it this summer, but put it off.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Are you talking manual or auto? If auto, you definitely want to be more specific in any complaint as far as year, because things that apply to one year will not apply to others. '04-'06 used the 5 speed auto, '07 and '08 used ONLY the CVT, and for '04 alone, SLs came with a 4 speed auto standard, with optional 5at.

Generally, the 5 speed auto is tough...one of the best autos Nissan ever made.The CVT for the Max is also less problematic than other models, as it had time to be refined in other models before hitting the Max.The 4 speed I can see being trouble prone, as it was never really any good backing much weaker motors, and should never have been put behind the VQ35 in the first place. I assume that's why it was abandoned after only one year in one trim level.

loystock

MarkC, Unless you have purchased an Infiniti Elite Extended Warranty, your Powertrain warranty has already expired. If you have an extended warranty, better stick to OEM fluid - Nissan Matic-D, P/N: 999MP-AA100P which can be purchased from IoS - infinitipartsUSA.com at a discounted price of $5.61/quart. The capacity of your transmission, RE4F04B, is 9 quarts. If warranty is no longer covered, then it's your call whether to use aftermarket Dexron III or the latest Dexron VI which is backwards compatible. Other forum members have used Mobil ATF, Amsoil or Royal Purple in lieu of Dexron III. Regardless which fluid you use, add a bottle of LubeGard Red after ATX service. Best way to determine if fluid is still in good condition is by doing a side-side comparison of current fluid and fresh ATF fluid (pinkish red) on a paper towel. To ensure ATX will last longer, better do a pan drop, replace filter, clean pan and magnets and use new gasket. Filter and gasket can also be bought from IoS. You will probably drain 4-5 quarts of ATF during a pan drop. Flushing is best done using a BG or equivalent machine. Some shops may refuse a flush beyond 85,00 miles if that's a the first time flush. Do not let them just do a drain and refill (3-4 quarts). Bring your own choice of fluid if service will be done in a non-Nissan/Infiniti dealership. Make sure the transmission has been run for @ 30 mins with flush chemical before the actual fluid exchange. Better bring extra fluids, say 12 quarts to ensure a complete exchange.

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

Is Lubeguard Red a dealer item?

loystock

Dealerships/shops will only do a flush followed by fluid exchange. If they offer panddrop for a nominal fee, then go for it.

You can buy LubeGard Red from Napa, Winchester Auto and the likes @ $13. Stick to LubeGard Red which is an ATF protectant. LubeGard Black is a friction modifier and is used for other applications.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”