factory amp

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
timh1972
Car: 1993 300zx TT

i have installed an after radio,when i drive it fades out and no sound can be heard,and then the static from the speakers get really loud.
it's not the radio,like i thought until i changed it also,same thing could the factory amp be bad? and where is it located 1993 300zx TT,thanks Tim

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

Did your car have the Bose system? If so you need a line output converter between your HU and the chassis wiring.

To further clarify, the Bose system has amps in each enclosure, for a total of four in the car. That's why you need the line output converter to interface with them. If you don't have a Bose system, then your amp was built into the factory non-Bose headunit.

Replacing the factory Bose unit without an output converter, like the PAC OEM-1 will yield bad results.

I have Bose replacement amps available if you want to replace them.

timh1972
Car: 1993 300zx TT

i just checked and it does have bose and i saw the amp kinda small one at each speaker separate but connected ok so what is it i need to do?

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

timh1972 wrote:i just checked and it does have bose and i saw the amp kinda small one at each speaker separate but connected ok so what is it i need to do?
What you need to do is search, because this has been covered about a billion times. However, I'm feeling nice today. :bigthumb:

You need to get one of these and install it between the new headunit you put in and the factory chassis wiring. This will allow you to use the Bose amps with an aftermarket headunit. If the amps are failing, i.e. one speaker crackling, then it's best to replace the faulty amp. Your other option is to replace all four speakers with aftermarket speakers and use your new headunit to power them.

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

Yeah, my speakers were terrible when I first got the car. I bypassed all the amps and just turn up my aftermarket head unit a little more. Works excellently for me, and I'm a bit of an audiophile. :) Ok, fine. I'm a downright snob :chuckle:

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”