First EX35 AWD UpRev Tuning Done!

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

UpReved tune done! If you guys have questions, pls PM me. I can give you info of my E-tuner. He only charges $100 for unlimited E-tunes vs UpRev $50 per Etunes.
Turn around time for his E-tunes is 24 hours only vs UpRev 2 weeks.
We go back and forth with email everyday. We started on Sept 5 when he emailed me the back to stock ROM file and BaseTune Map. I am waiting for his final check on my last data log where I need to have a long WOT until 80MPH.
This will be the conclusion of my 2008 EX35 AWD UpRev'ed!

Car is very responsive, It pulls hard from 2K RPM at 30 MPH in 3rd gear! :ohno:
Imagine it on 2nd gear.... The best thing is if I leave it on D mode and easy on throttle, my 13 miles one way commute gets me 23.7 MPG in mixed city/hwy driving vs stock tune of 20MPG mix driving. :woot:
Last edited by AWGD8 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 31 times in total.

jrmotorsports55
Car: 2011 EX35 AWD Journey (wife's car)

Interested to hear results.

Jason

TimGinCentralNJ
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX Journey AWD

AWGD8 wrote:I am set to go there before the end of the month. I keep you guys posted.

So far, my EX is 98% stock. I need to get a pair of AFE pro dry S air filter before the tune.
Subscribed :)

AWGD8

Done
Last edited by AWGD8 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AWGD8

MB WHEELS 17" 17.5 IBS each rim.

jrmotorsports55

Very cool. Keep us updated. I'm definitely interested in this down the road, have too many other project cars consuming money at the moment.

Jason

AWGD8

I wonder if this setting is good enough?

Image. :gapteeth:

jrmotorsports55

Lol. How is it running? How many times have you adjusted it? Any plans for a dyno run to see where you're at?

Jason

AWGD8

I will definitely dyno the car early next year. I really prefer tuning it when air is less dense- 80 degrees F . That means when the car is tuned during hot weather, when it gets cold out , car runs stronger. Unlike tuning it in cold weather and when it gets hot, you'll feel the loss of power. I do not know if this make sense to you? :biggrin: Although, hot weather will only produce lower HP/ torque on the dyno.

The car was E-tuned in between 85 to 94 degrees F. I had flashed the ECU probably 20 times now. Seymore4 , my E-tuner , sent me at least 7 to 8 E-tunes in a span of one week. Car was totally tuned in less than 2 weeks. Even in 94 degrees F , that car is responsive!
BTW, i only paid $100 for unlimited tunes vs Uprev $50 each.

The biggest improvement after the tune is the throttle response. I was not 100 percent happy with my tuners throttle map settings so I research online and found this forum.

http://www.the370z.com/tuning/43384-smo ... uprev.html

Since, I have a TUNER version (I bought it used for $400 at Titanforum.com retail price is $700), i could easily copy and paste the hex code to one of my Maps (under elec. Throttle settings) and i could play around with the tune.
So I put that throttle setting (370 forum) on the EX35 and WOW!
Car response at 2.3K RPM with less than 1/4 pedal push. Car is very enjoyable to drive now !

I also posted and compare the stock throttle settings of the EX35 vs the 370z and the modified settings that they came up on the 370z.

Here it is below:

wstar stock ELEC. Throttle Map. (below)

Here is my 2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD VQ35HR stock throttle map (below)

wstar modified " Smooth Throttle Uprev MAP (below)

The last MAP is the best throttle MAP I have used so far.

It is totally different from the stock 370Z but it did work pretty good on the 2008 Ex35 awd. 5 speed A/t.

I highly recommend the tune if you get bored with the stock EX35.
BTW, my tuner said our car runs a bit leaner on WOT!

jrmotorsports55

Cool, thanks for the info. Definitely interested down the road.

Jason

AWGD8

0-45 MPH run @ 44 F degrees on a 17 inches stock rims and snow tires.

On paper 4.15sec/45 mph
calculates into .46 sec per 5 MPH which is = 5.52 secs 0-60 (Granted the 2nd gear is still quick to pick up 15 MPH to reach 60)- Not to mention this is an AWD. I guessing , this will be at least high 5 secs.

The 0-45 was on 1st gear and towards 2nd gear (Manual mode - no power breaking from dead stop) - This is extremely very accurate since the Laptop is connected to the OBD2 connector. (Uprev Cipher logging)
The moment the drivetrain moves, the countdown begins. Last year I ran 6.3 sec , but with stock electronic throttle setting and at 89 F degrees. The electronic throttle map is now change to have a WOT (WIDE OPEN THROTTLE) plate opening at 1/4 pedal press. (Responsive as low as 2.3K RPM. 3-6k RPM is INSANE compare to when it was stock.)

I will do 0-60 run next week when I install my summer rims.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Awesome stuff - congrats on the newfound power!

(BTW, no need to edit past posts or update previous ones - it's customary to just post new info in sequence... this keeps us from having to do a lot of housekeeping, and people expect the most recent info at the end of the thread anyway. Thanks!)

AWGD8

Still nobody Upreve their EX yet?

So far I have few throttle Maps made on this forum that is specifically designed for EX35 5 speed A/T and it does work for the G37 7 speed A/T too!

Maps hexcode is posted on post # 297.

http://www.the370z.com/tuning/43384-smo ... ev-20.html

CustomLowz
Car: 2011 Infiniti EX35

AWGD8 wrote:Still nobody Upreve their EX yet?

So far I have few throttle Maps made on this forum that is specifically designed for EX35 5 speed A/T and it does work for the G37 7 speed A/T too!

If i actually knew what it was/how to do it, and could afford it... Id be all over it. id love more power, and better gas mileage

AWGD8

CustomLowz wrote:
AWGD8 wrote:Still nobody Upreve their EX yet?

If i actually knew what it was/how to do it, and could afford it... Id be all over it. id love more power, and better gas mileage
:biggrin:

It is a very popular ECU tuner for Nissan/Infiniti car. You basically buy either a standart ($500) or the tuner license ($700) package which include the cable that you use to plug in one end to your car's OBD2 connector under your dash and the other end to you window based laptop.

These are the parameters your tuner can change on your standard license.

From UpRev website.
Osiris Standard:
Osiris Standard includes the UpRev Interface Cable to reflash and communicate with the vehicle through the OBDII Diagnostic Port. Osiris Standard also includes Map Switching(with cruise control) -- allowing you to use different tunes for different situations -- and 3 eTune updates. eTune updates must be used within 1 year of purchase and are non-transferrable.

Osiris Standard is a licensed based system meaning your license will be transferred to the first ECU that is flashed. This vehicle can then be flashed as many times as the user wants, but the flash will not work on any different vehicles. One additional license can be purchased at a discount for enthusiasts that may have more than one vehicle, contact us for details.

Parameters that we will tune include:

Up to 5 Maps (only on supported vehicles- check our Support Matrix for verification)
Idle RPM
Speed Limiter
Rev Limiter
DTC disable
Fuel Compensation
Ignition Timing Advance

Tuner license :

Osiris Tuner
The Osiris Tuner system includes Cipher, Map Switching, the flash utility and our powerful, new 2.0 ROM Editor. Osiris Tuner supports NA applications and high horse power forced induction vehicles. Using the UpRev GT MAF, upgraded injectors and high flow fuel pump we have tuned for over 550whp on the G35.

Osiris Tuner is a licensed based system. The purchase of Osiris Tuner includes one license that will be transferred to the first ECU that is flashed. This vehicle can then be flashed as many times as the user wants, but the flash will not work on any different vehicles.

Osiris Tuner does not include any base maps or eTunes, the user is expected to develop their own tune for their vehicle using the stock ROMS included in the software package. Paid technical support can be found through UpRev’s Pro Tuners.

Parameters that are supported in the ROM Editor include:

Up to 5 Maps on cruise control equipped vehicles
Idle RPM
Speed Limiter
Electronic Throttle Control to achieve Wide Open Throttle at all speeds.
Rev Limiter
DTC disable
AFR Targets
Fuel Compensation
Ignition Timing Advance
Cam Phasing for equipped vehicles.
MAF transfer function
Cranking Enrichment and Ignition Advance
Injector Latency
K Fuel Multiplier
Intake Temp
Calculated Load vs. RPM
Minimum Effective Injector Pulse Width

There are 2 better ways to get this installed in your car. Actually, 3 ways, but you'll benefit more if you follow these two.

1) You buy the standard version and pay for tuning. I know someone who can E-Tune your car for $100 unlimited data tunes. So basically all you need are,

- Uprev Standard License and Cable : $500
- Etuner fee $100
- Windo base laptop
- Your time data logging

total money spent $600

Etuning means, your tuner from out of state or country will send you a base map to flash into your car's ECU using your laptop, cable etc. You then use the UpRev sofware to data log your 0-60/ 0-80 MPH and hwy/city cruising. Everytime you data log your performance run, it creates a file. These files can be sent via email to your Pro Tuner/Etuner. Your Etuner remotely analyze your data and make some adjustements on your Air Fuel Mixture, so that when you floor the pedal, it does not go very lean and damage the engine in the long run. Also, if the car gets too rich (typical stock Infiniti setup) you do not waste gas for being too rich on Air/fuel mixture. He can also change a lot of parameters such as throttle response etc.... Etuning is 90-96% close as you can get to achieve the car's performance potential vs tuning the car on the dyno which cost $250 + per hour cost.

2) You buy a Tuner version and do the same thing above, except the Tuner version, you have access to the tune files and can make changes to the tune.

The Tuner version also has the ability to check engine light codes and turn it off and also can clean learned fuel maps , etc, Both the standard and Tuner package has the ability to view live OBD2 sensor parameters. Tons of them! (e.g. Air fuel mixture, Tranny Temp, coolant temp, etc...) These tons of Info alone cost $300-400 already if you have to buy a stand alone OBD2 reader. I mean the real one. Not the cheap tiny OBD2 you buy on Ebay and monitor using the cellphone.. :rotfl

3) Option 3 is not ideal since you pay more than option 1 or 2. option 3 is you go to licensed Uprev Tuner and pay him $500 for the license (but no cable) and you pay him the cost of dyno tunes. (Dyno cost is around $200-250 per your)

He tunes your car and go home with that tunes and no option to change the tunes unless you go back to him and pay him again for another tune if you decided to add better exhaust etc.... (It is ideal to tune the car with aftermarket performance parts already installed) though, even a stock car can benefit with using the Uprev Tune since, the air fuel mixture are optimazed and the throttle response are night and day compare to stock.

When you have to service your car for warranty work, you need to flash back to Stock ECu setting (file is provided by your tuner/Etuner) If you go option 3, make sure you ask them if that flashing back to stock is free. After the service, you have to go back to your tuner and flash your Uprev Map again. You do not have to dyno the car or do data log again since you already have that settings in your saved Uprev file you stored in your PC. Option 3 also means you pay more for the Uprev License since it does not come with cable. With option 1 and 2 if you sell your car, you can sell the cable w/ license and sell it for 3/4 the price of brand new Uprev. (Sell it to Nissan forum or the G37 forum)

You can also either Etune or Dyno tunes option 1 and 2, It's just cheaper to go Etunes...

BTW, I bought my tuner license /cable slightly used on Nissan forum (titan talk) for $400 :dblthumb: and found a protuner /Etuner uprev certified on the G37 forum name Seymore4 . He did my Etune and I played and created my on throttle Map setting were the response of my EX35 throttle pedal start at 1/4 pedal push and responsiveness starts at. 2k RPM vs 3K RPM on stock throttle map.

The good thing is, my car is a test car and I am very familiar with this Uprev process. So if anyone decided to Uprev, it will just be a piece of cake since I can help you out if you have question. :naughty:

BTW, I believe Seymore4 also sells the Uprev license and cable cheaper than going direct to Uprev. Uprev also charges $50 per Etune data lot vs Seymore $100 lifetime/unlimited log. Seymore4 can send back an Etune map file in a day or two vs Uprev Etune of 2 weeks.

Basically for me I only spent $500 and the car runs great night and day vs stock.

AWGD8

Still no one has done this except me?

If you have a 2008-2009 EX35 , I can actually tune your car using an Etune. After 3 years working on my car with the Uprev tuner version, I learned how to tune it safely. I am also an active contributor here
http://www.the370z.com/tuning/43384-smo ... ev-26.html

I have 370z/G37 members that I created throttle tables for their specific car.

Infact, I am currently working with a guy with 370z who has 308HP to the wheels on dyno who asked me if I could improve his setup more and I did. (Changing his throttle map and tweak his fuel ratio etc)

2010+ model need a ROM dump since the ECU is not supported so there is an extra $200 to pay via Uprev to get a base ROM so car can be tuned.

Big improvement on throttle response on daily commute!

PM me if interested.

j50ny
Car: '09 EX35 (J50) Journey AWD Navi - blue slate

I'm almost ready to get tuned. Just got a Stillen Gen 2 intake and a G37s coupe muffler. I wanted to start with those two mods and then get the tune. Should be installing both this weekend...depending on how much energy I have. Still trying to decide on my final exhaust setup, but I'm leaning towards Fast Intentions or Stillen for now. Final setup after the supercharger install will have the Meisterschaft exhaust.

AWGD8

j50ny wrote:I'm almost ready to get tuned. Just got a Stillen Gen 2 intake and a G37s coupe muffler. I wanted to start with those two mods and then get the tune. Should be installing both this weekend...depending on how much energy I have. Still trying to decide on my final exhaust setup, but I'm leaning towards Fast Intentions or Stillen for now. Final setup after the supercharger install will have the Meisterschaft exhaust.
Even if the car is stock, you'll be able to feel the difference with throttle response from 2.2-3k RPM on daily commute or get up and go power. Beyond 3K RPM is a blast!

New Exhaust is pretty much not needed if you are not planning on highend power. How often do we really need the topend power?

What year is your ex?

jakenbake
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35

I only understood about half of what you talked about, but this is something I would totally love to do. Not sure I want to spend $600 on it though. Too bad its not closer to $300 or less.

AWGD8

jakenbake wrote:I only understood about half of what you talked about, but this is something I would totally love to do. Not sure I want to spend $600 on it though. Too bad its not closer to $300 or less.

It is a bit expensive , but worth it if you like the car to be more responsive down low (2-3k RPM)

- If you are familiar with car that has a knob or button were you can change the way the car behaves (e.g performance, economy, standard) just like the q50, then this is the same.

-The only difference is you use the cruise control button to switch driving mode. You can switch while the car is moving and it is seamless.

j50ny

AWGD8 wrote:
j50ny wrote:I'm almost ready to get tuned. Just got a Stillen Gen 2 intake and a G37s coupe muffler. I wanted to start with those two mods and then get the tune. Should be installing both this weekend...depending on how much energy I have. Still trying to decide on my final exhaust setup, but I'm leaning towards Fast Intentions or Stillen for now. Final setup after the supercharger install will have the Meisterschaft exhaust.
Even if the car is stock, you'll be able to feel the difference with throttle response from 2.2-3k RPM on daily commute or get up and go power. Beyond 3K RPM is a blast!

New Exhaust is pretty much not needed if you are not planning on highend power. How often do we really need the topend power?

What year is your ex?

Yeah. I know there will be a difference on a stock car...just figured I'd add those first. Lol

My MINI was fully built by myself and two friends and then I had a stage 2 DNA linear tune. Amazing!!!

Eventually, I will need both low end and top end power...but that's a ways off. Right now, I'm modding it to be a dd super sleeper. Later on, it will be fully built and track ready.

Mine is a 2009.

AWGD8

Great! I forgot to mention, If money is not an issue, an aftermarket Catalytic to muffler exhaust is the way to go since you're not only gaining high end power, but saving a lot of weight from stock tubings. The OEM muffler alone weighs 38 to 40 Ibs. Replacing all of them can shed 100 IBS or more! Stock catalytic converter is darn heavy by itself.

The problem with our EX is it is darn pig heavy! If it is only 200 IBS less this thing really is a blast to drive like the G's. My best real world 0-60 MPH is 6.16 secs using the Uprev software performance logging, we'll it is not well far off from the G37x sedan 5.5-5.7 0-60. Remember, those 0-60 numbers came from magazine test which 90% of regular folks won't be able to duplicate.

j50ny

Yeah....the vehicle weight was an issue when I had my M35. It became a mute point to try and extract more power out of it, because unless I gutted the car, I wasn't really gaining much. That car is great for VIP styling IMO anyway. I decided to take the chance with this one mainly because I don't see that many of them on the road. With many parts being the same as a G37, aftermarket parts aren't too hard to come by. And anything that may need a slight alteration for fitment, won't/shouldn't be too much of a headache.

The stock cats are definitely coming out, but probably not until next year. I know someone so "passing" the NYS inspection won't be an issue, but I remember with my MINI, it still was a pain in the rear. Although.....the CEL (should one appear) can definitely be coded out.

BTW...I just put on the G37s muffler. What a nice upgrade in the exhaust note!! Intake should be going on sometime this week.

AWGD8

Let me know when you are ready to Uprev!

roark187
Car: 2008 EX35

I can't pm you some reason, but am super interested in a flash for my '08 EX. Thanks!

AWGD8

roark187 wrote:I can't pm you some reason, but am super interested in a flash for my '08 EX. Thanks!

Pm sent!

TitoValchev
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima 3.5 V6 SR Sedan

AWGD8 wrote:UpReved tune done! If you guys have questions, pls PM me. I can give you info of my E-tuner. He only charges $100 for unlimited E-tunes vs UpRev $50 per Etunes.
We go back and forth with email everyday. We started on Sept 5 when he emailed me the back to stock ROM file and BaseTune Map. I am waiting for his final check on my last data log where I need to have a long WOT until 80MPH.

Imagine it on 2nd gear.... The best thing is if I leave it on D mode and easy on throttle, my 13 miles one way commute gets me 23.7 MPG in mixed city/hwy driving vs stock tune of 20MPG mix driving. :woot:

Hey man, I am a Nissan owner. Specifically, '10 Altima SR 4 DR. I have done some light engine work and recently I got the UpRev tune. I look for a eTuner. I want someone to look at what I got from UpRev and tell me if there is more room for improvement. How can I contact your tuner? I do have a few questions. Thank you.

AWGD8

Seymore4 at

AWGD8

AWGD8

TitoValchev wrote:
AWGD8 wrote:UpReved tune done! If you guys have questions, pls PM me. I can give you info of my E-tuner. He only charges $100 for unlimited E-tunes vs UpRev $50 per Etunes.

Hey man, I am a Nissan owner. Specifically, '10 Altima SR 4 DR. I have done some light engine work and recently I got the UpRev tune. I look for a eTuner. I want someone to look at what I got from UpRev and tell me if there is more room for improvement. How can I contact your tuner? I do have a few questions. Thank you.

Joe Waldal

[email protected]

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”