ESCL Failed

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
XCM9977

First off, I own a 2010 EX35 RWD.

This week I tried to start my car and when I pushed the ignition button nothing happened. A "key" symbol appeared on the dashboard which according to the user manual warns of a malfunction with the
electrical steering lock system or the Intelligent Key system.

I searched using "Steering control lock" or "ESCL" and found numerous discussion on this problem with 2009 Altimas. Apparently there was a manufacturing defect. Nissan extended the warranty on models of 370z, Altima, and Cube. Anyway, there were several "fixes", from cutting wires (not wise and only after car started), to removing fuse (long term solution after having car started, but Infiniti doesn't use), and one by following this video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy077eLJfXk

I followed the youtube video and was able to get my car started. So far the "fix" is holding.

I would like to have the module replaced, but cannot identify/locate the part number. I contacted an Infiniti dealer for the part, which costs >$550, using my VIN number. I was told this is not a DIY as the car needs to be programmed so that it can recognize and work with the new part. I am not sure if this is true. Some Nissan owner did do the replacement but did not mention they did the programming.

So my question is, is the Infiniti dealer pulling my legs? If this were true, it would mean that most likely any electronic component replacement will need to be done at the dealership.

Thanks for your help.

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

I'd say first to take a look at the factory service manual. They have them here on Nicoclub: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/EX/2010/
I'd especially check the BCS, LAN, and PCS files. My guess is that you don't actually need to program the car to the new steering control lock with the Nissan Consult module/software for the replacement module to work. Instead, my feeling is that they use the Consult to reduce troubleshooting time and confirm the diagnosis; and also to test that the replacement unit is working properly with other functions of the car.

The service adviser might not know all the technical details involved with these kinds of repairs, so he/she probably plays it safe by using a blanket statement like that for all electronic module replacements. If you want to find out for sure, I'd try to talk to a Nissan/Infiniti tech. There is a tech here on Nicoclub (SteveTheTech), though I'm not sure how active he is on the forums. If you could get a hold of him he would probably be able to answer your questions.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably look into the fuse removal solution and be done with it. If you happen to find out the part number and try replacing the module, please let us know how it goes.

Good luck.

meanie
Car: G37, EX35

So, this may sound ridicuolously simplistic, but I assume you checked that both keys do not work? I believe that the same symbol appeared on my dash when the battery in my key needed replacement. A few bucks at Batteries, Etc and I was good to go.

XCM9977

NJGuy wrote:I'd say first to take a look at the factory service manual. They have them here on Nicoclub: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/EX/2010/
I'd especially check the BCS, LAN, and PCS files. My guess is that you don't actually need to program the car to the new steering control lock with the Nissan Consult module/software for the replacement module to work. Instead, my feeling is that they use the Consult to reduce troubleshooting time and confirm the diagnosis; and also to test that the replacement unit is working properly with other functions of the car.

The service adviser might not know all the technical details involved with these kinds of repairs, so he/she probably plays it safe by using a blanket statement like that for all electronic module replacements. If you want to find out for sure, I'd try to talk to a Nissan/Infiniti tech. There is a tech here on Nicoclub (SteveTheTech), though I'm not sure how active he is on the forums. If you could get a hold of him he would probably be able to answer your questions.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably look into the fuse removal solution and be done with it. If you happen to find out the part number and try replacing the module, please let us know how it goes.

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Right now there's nothing for me to do, since dealer will not replace the module if the car is driven in. They will only do it if the car is towed in, that is, the steering lock is unlocked and the car cannot be started.

I was hoping SteveTheTech can chime in, but haven't seen him here for awhile. Anyway, I'll just have to sit back for now and hope the car continues to start without this problem.

XCM9977

meanie wrote:So, this may sound ridicuolously simplistic, but I assume you checked that both keys do not work? I believe that the same symbol appeared on my dash when the battery in my key needed replacement. A few bucks at Batteries, Etc and I was good to go.

This problem is not caused by low battery. The symbol is different on the dash. You can insert the key fob into the slot under the dash with low battery and the car should start. The video shows the guy starting his car with the key fob inserted into the slot.

To answer your question, yes, I did try with both keys and neither helped.

sev
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35

funny. I just started having this problem yesterday. Dorman sells a replacement lock module that is supposed to permenently fix the issue. The part number is 601-037

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-85322-601-037.aspx

much MUCH cheaper than the stupid POS part from nissan that fails

sev
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35

I ended up doing the fuse trick on this and saved myself a ton of $$$$$

If anyone has a failing but not yet fully failed ESCL, do this trick ASAP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QTCDIntpUI&t=349s

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”