Engine wants to die, acts like im out of gas.

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
komprecce

I dont know if i should post this in the KA forum so please move it if it should. My car acts like its running out of gas, the engine hiccups like im about to run out of fuel even when i have a full take of gas.This has been a gradual problem. First it was just when I first started the car, it would kick over then act like it would want to die. Sort of like the engine wasnt getting enough fuel or spark etc. After I put it in to drive it was fine. Now tonight it did it at the start but wouldnt stop. Everytime i would stop at a redlight it acts like im out of gas and want to die, so i jump on the freeway, so it can get plenty of gas and even at high speeds its acting like its hiccuping for gas! What could it be guys? Fuel pump, spark pluggs, fuel filter etc??? i know this must seem like a real newbe question but im new to import motors so I need some advice.

-k

skylinedreams
Car: 90 240sx

hmmm i wanna say fuel pump but those usually just die. But its a start my 90 had issues starting before and started sputtering while driving. then one morning I started my car and it stalled and would start again. the cause my fuel pump died. dont ask me how to test if your fuel pump is gonna die cuz I have no idea.

MeanGreenS13
Car: 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

clogged filter, clogged injectors, bad fuel pump... or something else but try those first

StricNyne

maf

chrislis
Car: 1998 240sx sE!

i had this problem twice.

first time: MAFsecond time: EGI fuse.

xekushnr
Car: '90 240sx Hatch

you may have a vacuum leak. make sure all the vacuum hoses are secure and there are no leaks.

chmercer

somone move this to a tech forum?

S13Coupe
Car: S13 Coupe

Sounds like what my car was doing when my fuel pump was going bad. Took me for ever to figure it out, cause everyone kept telling me that "fuel pumps don't get crappy and barely run for two months, they just die", like said above. (Not trying to be mean, just using that as an example skylinedreams) But aparently they can do that, cause that's what mine ended up being. You can go up to any parts store and pick up a fuel pressure gauge and test fuel pressure. If it's low, it could be the pump, the fuel pressure regulator being stuck open or the filter clogged.

If the filter is old, just change it, cause it's not that expensive. If it's not old, but it might be clogged, you could test the fuel pressure with the gauge in the spot that the filter should be in so there is no filter at all. But don't run it too long like that, or you'll get all kinds of crap in there.

If the pressure is low and the filter is OK, try pinching the fuel filter return line shut with your fingers while the gauge is on. If the pressure goes up alot the regulator might be stuck open and returning too much fuel. If it doesn't really change or it goes up just a couple psi than the problem is that there's not enough fuel making it up to the fuel rail. That means dying fuel pump. Or atleast that's what happened with me.

Or you could test fuel pressure and it could be fine, and have nothing to do with the pump at all. Just sounds the same as what I went through.

skylinedreams

[QUOTE=S13Coupe]Sounds like what my car was doing when my fuel pump was going bad. Took me for ever to figure it out, cause everyone kept telling me that "fuel pumps don't get crappy and barely run for two months, they just die", like said above. (Not trying to be mean, just using that as an example skylinedreams) But aparently they can do that, cause that's what mine ended up being. You can go up to any parts store and pick up a fuel pressure gauge and test fuel pressure. If it's low, it could be the pump, the fuel pressure regulator being stuck open or the filter clogged.QUOTE]

Thats what I was trying to point out that they can get weak and crappy. I must have worded it wrong. and I just looked at it I did word it wrong. but what I meant to say is that people usually assume they just die. then I gave my old 240 as an example but I worded that wrong also my car wouldnt start and it was basically the fuel pump finally quit.

S13Coupe
Car: S13 Coupe

OK, I get it now.

But, to anyone that reads this, don't ever tell someone that fuel pumps don't run bad, and slowly get worse. Or that they just suddenly die without warning. I read that all over multiple forums, and it just kept steering me in the wrong direction, and making it take forever. Even if that is what usually happens.

GhostDriver
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX RMS13

What about fouled plugs?

It's just a suggestion. I didn't read anything.

komprecce

Thanks guys for all the info, if anyone has anymore then keep it coming, im gonna take it to my mechanic to see what he says, 99.9% of the time he fixes it on the first try, going with his first hunch(it saves on money and time because he never has to replace have the engine before something is fixed) I'll write down some of the things you guys mentioned and teel him this is what some of my NICO brothers thought it might be, he says you guys hit the nail on the head all the time.-K

skylinedreams

its only cuz half the time most of us have already dealt with the same problem or a similar one . keep us posted on what it was.

ricebike
Car: 1989 240sx se 5spd (donated to my brother in law)
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

komprecce,

read my reply on your other thread b4 u goto the mechanic!

Return to “240sx General Discussion”