engine swap done but ...

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Theindigo88
Car: 1988 and 1987 nissan maxima

IT wont start.................................... IT turn's over but it wont start , Im going to check and see if it's the batt since it's been sitting for awhile...

I checked all the ground's and the seem to be all hooked up..

All the vaccum line's seem to be right but still that wouldent stop it from starting ....

the axle's are not in and there is no fluid in the tranny , it's in Nuterual so i dont think that would have any thing to do with it...

IT's a 1987 nissan maxima 5-speed , And the engine i swapped is a w block 1988 VG30 .

any help would be awsome since a Mod that act's so childish on MAXIMA.org he banned me from there because when i met him at a meet he was making fun of my intake setup , And i told him to shut his ****ing mouth...

It's so ****ed up i would like to come back to that website but it's just impossible and he think's it's funny and he banned me till the exact date of my birthday....

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Very cool to hear that someone is keeping a 2nd gen on the road instead of sending it to the junkyard. Welcome to NICO. You don't have to worry about elitist or childish BS here. We're here to help people...plain and simple.

I'd definitely start troubleshooting at the battery, especially if it's been sitting on the ground. Make sure you're getting power to the fuel pump, that fuel is making it to the engine, and that you're getting a spark from every plug.

Theindigo88

I put a fully charged batt from my girl's car in there , It almost start's but it wont ....

I switched 2 fuel line's thinking i got them back ward's and the fuel pump started to screech when i did that , Once you turn the key to on.

Then i switched them back and it sounded like fuel ran though thesystem.

I put new sparkplug's in Bosh plat's.

I might try and to swap the ngk iridium's back in that where in the engine when it started..

IT has a grounding system that cam with the car ... Nismo , And i think i hooked it up back right since im getting no spark's around the grounds...

i might have grounded the altinator wrong... No clue ...

Theindigo88

and how would i check if am getting spark's from the plug's ?

Theindigo88

some one help me out here?

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

It's damn painfull but, pull a coil and have your girl turn it over, if you don't see a spark (this is where it hurts) put your finger in the coil and have her turn it over. If it doesn't hurt, no spark- If it hurts a little, weak spark- If you wish bad thoughts on me for following this and say every swear word known to man, you've got good spark.Oh, don't worry the feeling of hatred towards Maxorgy is mutual. An angry, egotistical group of insecure people who hate anyone with less than 1k posts!

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

Do you have the correct ECU for the engine. Scott, you electrical God, do you know?

woofy

i dont know if this is the same.....i cant remember if my car was trying to turn over or just not but all i had to do was replace the termanal on the positive battery wire......i read somewhere it can go wrong...my buddy i bought it from had taken it to a few shops and they couldent figure out why it wouldent start,turns out it was just that termanal...it runs fine now.

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

beancooker wrote:Scott, you electrical God, do you know?
Far from it I assure you.

Theindigo88

I put the 87 injector's in there thinking it was a problem with resistances....

Still nooooo start...

i took it to a mechanic's shop about 3 day's ago and about all they could figure out it wasent getting a spark ... But how could it started before i took it into the shop and once i took it out of the shop it's not getting a spark any more ?

Well i took it in and about 2 hour's before i took it in it started perfect with starter fluid..... pushed it over to the mechanic's they took alook at it for 3 days....

they asked me for the distributor from the engine i took out of the car they put that in and still no spark...

I went there today and all they could tell me was it wasent geting spark and the injector's whernt pulsing... so i was liek **** it , And pushed it home...

Dont know what to do now..... dont know where to start.....

and i also took the 88 injector's that i took out of the engine when i thought it was because the ecu wasent sending a signal to them , and spliced one up and had some one turn it listening for a click or some thing from the injector but i couldent hear any thing....

Dont know what to do!!!

Theindigo88

do you think my 88 Auto ecu will fix the starting problem ? I just want to see if that fixes the starting problem's before i go buy and ecu that has no garuntee to fix the problem..

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

It's worth a try. But remember that the auto ECU will be looking for a park position sensor, so the car won't start unless the ECU thinks the car is in park. Should just be a simple matter of splicing two wires together.Of course that will mean that you would then be able to start the car without the clutch depressed, so be careful with that.

Theindigo88

yeah you dont need to press down the clucth in a 2nd gen to start it.

Theindigo88

And how could i splice 2 wire's togeather ?

there's no wir'es for a auto on the wiring harness.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Sorry...I had that backward. Splicing would help if you had a former auto car with a manual trans, not mixed around like you've got. You'll need to find out where that park position switch would be, and then you need to "fake" it. Unfortunately I haven't got the FSM for the 2nd gen. If we can find the appropriate wiring diagrams, we'll know what to do about that park/neutral position switch.

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

I'm just throwing this out there, I have little idea of what generation has what sensors....does the old/new engine have a crank position sensor?

Theindigo88

The 87 and 88 only have 1 diffrent sensor the 88 has a sensor the 87 harness doesnt have a connector for it's kinda like an 02 sensor some thing , Its right next to the lower intake and inbetween two injectors.

Theindigo88

some guy is selling a 1988 nissan 300zx 5 speed turbo ecu for 50 bucks romulator ready , Do you think this will fix my issues ?

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”