Engine missing & Sloppy Auto trans shifting...Related?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Rendurante
Car: 2002 Nissan Maxima SE

Hey all,

I have a 2002 Maxima SE that has developed a couple of issues in the past year or so, and I was wondering if these can be related.

First: At 1/8 to about 3/8 throttle my engine has been making noises as if it was misfiring...This clears up if you push the throttle to about 1/2 or greater. I can't notice any significant loss of power when I hear the noise, so I am having a hard time trying to diagnose this. I had the computer scanned and there were no codes thrown.

Next: During the same throttle position (1/8 to 3/8) the transmission shifts very sloppy from 1-2 and 2-3. Any throttle position greater than 1/2, the transmission shifts very quick and positive. 3-4 seems positive at any throttle position.

I have flushed the transmission at the Nissan dealer as well as dropped the pan to clean the magnets. I did not see any excessive friction material in the pan but I know that this type of sloppy operation will soon take its toll on my tranny.

Since I was thinking that the two issues were related, I had the dealer replace the throttle position sensor, but this did not fix the problem. The car has 80,000 miles on it and it has been properly maintained.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks

johnnyd6404
Car: 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT 2k2 Maxima SE(sold) 2005 Altima 2.5S

TCM maybe many have had issues with this not sure if there is any way to test it but its an easy diy fix but the part is pricey IIRC around $400+ but it's located under the center console. If this is the problem, left in this state it has been known to ruin trannys but you may be ok since there was no excess crap on the magnets. Try searching transmision control module for more info. Also there is a TSB regarding the trans flush something to do with cleaning out the return line after flushing. I'll see if I can find it for you. Good luck

johnnyd6404
Car: 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT 2k2 Maxima SE(sold) 2005 Altima 2.5S

here you gohttp://maxima.theowensfamily.c...b.pdf

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”