ENGINE LOSSES POWER AND STUTTERS

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
jollibee
Car: 1991 R32 GTS-T

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site. And I was hoping someone can help me out. My problem is that my car losses power when the water temperature reaches 80 degrees. If it does not reach that temperature, the car is fine. And now it is summer time, it heats quick and it does it every time. When it sputters, it feels like a mis firing spark plug. The engine power reduces. It doesn't die, but it feels like the engine is running on 5 or less plugs instead of 6. But as I get a clear traffic, continuously drive the car and the temp goes down, the engine sputter or mis fire disappears. Where should i start to check? My car and set up is: (had this set up for 2 years with no issues, till this summer)

91 R32 GTS-T
RB25DET Engine
RB20DET engine harness
BNR32 fuel pump
Nismo 555cc injectors RB26det Top Feed.
RB26 Fuel Resistor
Tomei Type L fuel regulator (set at 42 psi)
Stock Fuel Filter
NGK iridium 9 plugs JIS
RB26 Coil packs (re-wired to suit RB26 series 1 coilpack amplifier)
Apexi Power FC

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

You might try colder plugs. See if one plug looks noticeably different from the others.

jollibee

Yup, will be doing that tomorrow. Process of elimination. Start with the plugs. Thanks for the reply.

Zenki R

Maybe plugs, coil pack, or maybe even fuel pump. Good luck! By the way jollibee are you Pinoy? :)

jollibee

yup. pinoy na pinoy. i'm here in japan.

themadscientist

Wherabouts?

jollibee

Yokosuka.

Zenki R

jollibee wrote:yup. pinoy na pinoy. i'm here in japan.
Cool!! :) Have a mate there who sends me stuff for my garage toys. Love your handle. hehe. How's the pinoys there, my Jap friend there loves nagaraya. lol You OFW?

So did you sort it out pre?
Last edited by Zenki R on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

jollibee

sort of OFW. i'm with the us military. stationed here. nope, i'm not a mechanic and the people who used to guide me are on deployment. so i talked to SEED Racing and they will fix the problem. Bee-R in yokohama, is not as friendly as it used to be. since they are D1 Sponsored now, they won't basically touch any little jobs, unless they cost about a million yen. it's ok. Seed is the go by with the foreigners here with modified cars. Nissan Toyota Mazda. Big company and very reasonable.

Zenki R

Well at least you guys have all the help there. Me back in Pinas, it's not easy to find shops well versed on Skylines, and GT-Rs. Like me it's hard for me to find expert shops that knows GT-Rs. Maybe some of the guys at Seed will come by to Manila you can hook me up. :) hehe

jollibee

I hope they do come one of these days. It would be awesome.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

jollibee...

If you are in Yokosuka, head to the Hobby Shop and see if there is a guy named Ken Morgan there. Talk to him, tell him I (Neal Hartman) sent you there and tell him your issue. He can probably help you out in finding a good place to get help if he can't help you himself. Last I knew, he was running the Hobby Shop.

Or, try to find a guy named Marc Tuell. He drives a WRX wagon, mid to late 90's, nicely tuned, silver color. He may also be able to point you in the right direction.

If you can't find him, one other guy to look for is Paul Depolo. He has an old DR30 RS Turbo Skyline, two tone red/black. It's a beast and the fastest RS on base or in the area as far as I know (provided he still has it and it's still running.)

Tell them all I referred you to them. Hopefully they can help you out.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Oh, by the way...Ken may not remember me as we didn't hang out often, but the other guys will.

themadscientist

Just tell him the guy with the fat GT-R; he'll remember.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”