Engine control fuse-KEEPS BLOWING!!!

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
jimmitoman

I have a '92 240sx, 72k miles(KA motor). The idle was a little high at 1000RPMs and every time I turned the AC or the defrost on the highest fan setting the car would drop idle almost to stalling point and it would shake violently. Also the parking brake light would flicker on and off while making a buzzing noise under the dash. I wasnt too worried about the light at that point. so I took it to the dealer and had them adjust the idle. He said they adjusted the throttle and replaced a engine control fuse(10 amp) and fixed the parking light problem. I paid my bill and drove off. On the way home the light started to flicker. I decided to live with the flickering but something told me to try the AC and defrost. Tried it and the same problem. I took it back to the dealer and we checked the engine control fuse and it was blown again. Left the car there and he said he would fix the problem. I got the car back the following day and it seemed fine. Drove it for a couple of days with no problem then the symptoms were back. So, I am assuming that the parking brake light has some sort of connection with the engine control fuse.Any ideas of what the problem might be?PLEASE HELP

yellow_jacket
Car: 95 240sx

There is a very slim chance that anyone is going to be able to diagnose this without having the car. Electrical problems are hard to find and you're going to have to do it by sitting down with the wiring diagrams and going through all the circuits that run off of that fuse and then checking each individual circuit. Not fun, and if you pay the dealership they will probably charge you an arm and a leg.

By the way, whatever you do, DO NOT just add a higher amp fuse. This can cause a fire and possibly melt down your wiring harness.

bruinbear714

yellow_jacket wrote:There is a very slim chance that anyone is going to be able to diagnose this without having the car. Electrical problems are hard to find and you're going to have to do it by sitting down with the wiring diagrams and going through all the circuits that run off of that fuse and then checking each individual circuit. Not fun, and if you pay the dealership they will probably charge you an arm and a leg.

By the way, whatever you do, DO NOT just add a higher amp fuse. This can cause a fire and possibly melt down your wiring harness.

Yup, do not replace it with a higher amp rated fuse or you will start a fire somewhere.

Unfortunately electrical problems are a pain in the arse and will require you to meter and probe and trace the wiring to the source where the problem lies. From speculation, it looks to me like some wires under your dash is getting grounded to the frame of the car or to other ground wires.

boycelaforest707
Car: 1991 240sx SE

PROBLEM SOLVED:

My EGR SOLENOID connector near back of valve cover was burnt and shorted together, removed connector, replaced and works perfect now.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”