Engine Code p0850 PNP switch error

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Great White Versa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S HB 6sp

I have had a check engine light for a while. The dealership said that they coded it when i went in for an oil change a while back and that it read as a "vapor seal" something or other. It went away after a reset but then came back a few days later so I figured it was still that problem and didn't want to spend a bunch of money at the time.

Also, occasionally, my car doesn't start. It happened last year at about this time and then again this last weekend. Usually what works is to just leave the car alone and it will work just fine later. The engine will turn over but not fire.

I took it to autozone and had them code the error and it came out to:
p0850 PNP switch error
But nothing showed up in their system as a replacement part. I called around to a few other places and no one has anything that shows up for that error code.

After paying more attention to the not starting issue I have decided that the only times that I have the issue is when trying to start the car while in gear ('07 Versa manual) and never if the stick is in the 'neutral' position.

I had a mechanic friend check it out and he thinks that there is something wrong with this piece:

(Placed next to my phone for size reference)

It has a pin that is NOT spring loaded. He thinks that might be the problem, that somehow an internal spring broke so that it is not working right. Can someone who knows more about this shed some light? Is that piece the PNP switch that the error is referencing? Should it be spring loaded? Where can I order a replacement?

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

P0850 - Park/Neutral Position (PNP) Switch Circuit

See the dealer for a replacement and the service manual for more help: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”