Engine break-in

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
followingnfront
Car: 2017 Maxima S

Ok all, so my Rogue currently has 1,101 miles. The owner's manual says to avoid constant rpm for any prolonged amount of time until 1,200 miles... ie: no long highway trips...

Thing is, tomorrow (Saturday so today really) I am planning on taking a 3 hour trip... Driving around as much as I can in NYC prior to leaving *MAY* net me 30 or so miles, so before I jump on the bridge I *MAY* have 1,130-ish miles before taking this long trip... Would I be doing anything wrong by taking the trip 70-100 miles early?

It may sound like a silly question, but I am anal when it comes to my cars to the point of being OCD at times, so I want to make sure I don't cause any longevity issues for the future...

Thank you all.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

followingnfront wrote:Ok all, so my Rogue currently has 1,101 miles. The owner's manual says to avoid constant rpm for any prolonged amount of time until 1,200 miles... ie: no long highway trips...

Thing is, tomorrow (Saturday so today really) I am planning on taking a 3 hour trip... Driving around as much as I can in NYC prior to leaving *MAY* net me 30 or so miles, so before I jump on the bridge I *MAY* have 1,130-ish miles before taking this long trip... Would I be doing anything wrong by taking the trip 70-100 miles early?

It may sound like a silly question, but I am anal when it comes to my cars to the point of being OCD at times, so I want to make sure I don't cause any longevity issues for the future...

Thank you all.
your engine is already technically "broken in". breaking in happens the first 20miles the engine is working. and honestly, it was technically broken in at the factory when they dyno the car. thats how fast it all happens.

racers around the world know the proper way to "break in" in an engine is to rev the pi55 out of it.

followingnfront

ImStricken wrote:
followingnfront wrote:Ok all, so my Rogue currently has 1,101 miles. The owner's manual says to avoid constant rpm for any prolonged amount of time until 1,200 miles... ie: no long highway trips...

Thank you all.
your engine is already technically "broken in". breaking in happens the first 20miles the engine is working. and honestly, it was technically broken in at the factory when they dyno the car. thats how fast it all happens.

racers around the world know the proper way to "break in" in an engine is to rev the pi55 out of it.
Okie doke... I'll be taking my trip.

Out of curiousity though, why does the manual call for such a long interval?

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

followingnfront wrote:Out of curiousity though, why does the manual call for such a long interval?
for insurance/warranty purposes.

what engine 'break in' really is, is properly seating in the piston rings. it happens very quickly. the higher the RPM, the faster it happens. revving the engine is the best way to do it.

why the auto makers state that one shouldnt drive at high speeds, or long distances:
car makers simply want to 'make sure' you dont drive around like a bat out of hell, or far, on a car in case something fails. its a way to keep people from driving quickly, before knowing if anything has not been tightened down correctly. lol

if you built something, im sure you'd want a 'trial' period before you go full force with it, right? youd wanna make sure it works at 25-45mph, before you hit 65mph right? lololol its scary, but true.

followingnfront

Well ive already had my Rogue up to 90 and it didnt fall apart so I guess its broken in :-) I still havent gone over 4k Rpms since I got it though (as per the manual)

Return to “Rogue Forum”