EM.TT build thread (pic heavy!)

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
EM.TT
Car: 91 300ZX TT
08 Silverado All-Star
07 R6 (track)

Hey guys, finally had the time to make a build thread for my Z! I've been around the website for a little while, but mostly just use it as a resource while still building up my knowledge about these monsters. I had a 5-speed NA in high school and absolutely loved it, but always had the need for speed and wanted the TT. Ended up selling it to get an R6 for my short racing stint, and always kicked myself for getting rid of such an awesome first car. Well in 2010 I saw this Z in rough shape at a shop in my hometown that wasn't for sale, but after some persuasion, I was able to get it for $1200. It was owned by an elderly lady that no longer wanted to pay the steep shop charges. The interior looked new (not even kidding) with the paint in pretty good shape, but under the hood was a different story...

First day home

It wasn't running (blown HG, bad injectors, turbos, etc..) so I hit the interwebs and the forums. Happened to find a nice JDM engine package in good shape from a shop in Canada. Ended up with a gift inside the bell housing thats worth what I paid for the whole package!

JDM engine

Got to work on the engine doing all the typical deletes and re-routes, added some exhaust I already had, then tossed the engine back in. First drive in a running Z was definitely worth the wait! ..but short lived.

Dropping in the new engine

All installed (shield your eyes!)

First "big" order

Thought this was a neat shot

About 200 miles after install, I started noticing a steady drop in power, and a loud screech or metal-on-metal squeal. The dreaded 'bolt in the compressor housing' story had happened to me. I had all the IC piping blocked off, but must have forgotten about the intakes and of course, the nut flew in there without me knowing. I used that as another opportunity to pull the engine and do some more 'while it's out' work. Replaced the turbos with another OEM set, then reinstalled the engine.

No more AC!

All buttoned up after some much needed cleaning

Made some brackets at a local machine shop for a VR-4 rotor swap

Always amazed at how much you can fit in a Z. My girlfriend and I managed to fit everything we had at school in the dorms

Used black 3M auto vinyl to black out the roof, stuff looks like paint!

Picked up some new wheels from a friend for less than it cost to buy new tires for the OEM rears, not my first choice but when you're on a budget...

Got a new wing and mufflers for Christmas

Sprayed the wing and wheels at a friends paint shop

VR-4 rotors were warped, so why not upgrade?

Picked up some Tein SS coil-overs off of an R32 for dirt cheap, still need to refinish them

Well about 2,000 miles later, ran a compression test and got 120's with the back two at 155, and also found out my oil pump was starving due to a dented oil pan. All problems that are easily avoided when tested/checked prior to engine installation. So this past summer, I pulled the engine out for the third time in 3 years, and wasn't putting it back in without complete confidence in the condition of all the parts and systems.

Engine pulled and torn down

Gasket matching in progress

Reassembly

One-off intakes in progress (new vs old piping)

I'm excited to say my first rebuild went great. I've put about 600 miles on it since the end of the summer and it runs and sounds like a new engine. The new turbos are still putting stupid smiles on my face, but theres still a lot of work to be done. Ive noticed with the twin disc and its extra clamping force, the pedal is quite vague when trying to consistently pull away without stalling. Needless to say, the cast clutch release fork will be going in soon.

I did however just weld up my exhaust (finally), and man did that help free up some power!!! Going from 2.25" with factory mufflers to a dual 3" is more than night and day. I still need to reposition the PS piping and add heat wrap up by the DP's. I'm also going to cut the tips at an angle with a bandsaw at school, and probably paint the piping/muffler bodies black so it does't look so obviously aftermarket (cops).

You can sort of see the HICAS eliminator I made in this pic too

Allllllll that brings you up to speed with where the car is now. I'm really happy with how far it has come, and I can finally start enjoying it like I've always wanted, but I can't stop now! Next on the list is custom IC piping and possibly a custom vertical flow FMIC, and a tune to compensate for all the new parts and flow. Then an E85 conversion with hopefully a standalone of some sort, and then some bodywork and fancy wheels :biggrin:

Current mod list:

ENGINE / PERFORMANCE
Fresh OEM LB with Cometic gaskets
Ported & Gasket Matched Upper and Lower Plunum
Garrett GT2560-r (.64 A/R)
HKS actuators
SS oil lines
Specialty Z 3" Downpipes
EM-Spec 3" test pipes
EM-Spec 3" quad tip axle-back w/slip joints
EM-Spec 2.5" intakes w/DEI "cool tape" (1800 deg.)
Spectre 6" Intakes with velocity stacks (in SMIC location)
Selin Translator (extended harness)
UAS Vertical Flow FMIC w/some 2.5" IC piping
BDE "Goose-Honk Killer" Recirculation Valve kit
Nismo Thermostat
Howe TT Radiator
Mishimoto radiator shroud
SPAL 15" electric fan
Z1 Silicone Radiator Hose
Z1 Silicone Complete Engine Hose Kit
AMS UD Pulley
AMS OD Water Pump and Alternator Pulley
Nismo 555cc Injectors
New OEM Wiring Harness

SUSPENSION / DRIVELINE
Tein SS Type-Na Coil-overs: +/- 20mm Ride Height, 15 Way Adjustable
Top Speed F.U.C.A.'s
Top Speed R.U.C.A.'s
Custom H.I.C.A.S. Delete Plate
CZP HICAS Outer Ball Joint Delete Kit
Revo 30mm Tension Rods
Energy Suspension Urethane PS Rack Bushings
Z1 Bronze Shifter Bushings
Z1 Short Shifter
Z1 SS clutch line
Nismo G-Max Twin-Disc
Redline Diff Fluid
New OEM transmission
Red Line MT Fluid

CHASSIS
Z1 13" Centric, Slotted BBK
Z1 Master Cylinder Brace
Axxis Ultimate Pads Front
Centric Posi-Quiet Pads Rear
Recoated Calipers
Rotor centers coated
Konig Tantrum 17x8 - Dark Gunmetal Met base w/ Dark Sapphire Met top coat
Falken Azenis RT-615 225/45/17 F
Bridgestone Potenze RE05A-RFT 255/40/17 R
R1 Performance Aluminum Open Ended Lug Nuts
Nismo Extended Studs F
15 mm Wheel Spacers F
20 mm Wheel Spacers R

ENGINE MANAGEMENT
Ash-Spec ECU @15-18 psi.
Greddy Profec B-Spec 2
Autometer Phantom Boost Gauge
3-Pod A-Pillar

COSMETIC / Visuals
6000k HID's (high and low)
LED License Plate Lights
Black Roof wrap
Black Pin-striping
Red Cam Covers
Wrinkle Black Coolant Hard-pipes
Sandblasted Upper Plenum with high temp clear coat
Wrinkle Black Balance Tube
Wrinkle Black Timing Belt Covers w/ Intake cam openings
High temp red Calipers

STEREO
JVC KD-A615 Head-unit
Polk 6" 2-way Door Speakers
Infinity Reference 6422 4x6 2-way rear speakers
U.S.Audio 500.1 Mono amp
Rockford Fosgate Wiring kit
Alpine Type-S w/ custom enclosure
Dynamat and egg crate foam throughout

WEIGHT REDUCTION/DELETES
EGR
PRCV
AC
Spare Tire
Carbon Canister
AIV
HICAS
Fiberglass Wing
Hatch weight
Bose Speakers

NEXT:
Custom aluminum splitter (possibly diffuser as well)
Custom IC piping (and intercooler?)
E85 Conversion
ECU (tune/standalone)
Racelogic traction + launch control
Paint with J-spec front, new moulding, windshield, and other goodies (probably keep the PMM color)
Wheels (too many, still deciding...)
Last edited by EM.TT on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

z32loverboy
Car: 1990 300zx CRP N/A 5 Speed (wreaked, now a shell) SOLD

1993 Slicktop CRP N/A 5 Speed w/ '90 built N/A motor and interior

1958 Ford f-100 straight-body (Grandaddies truck, resto-project)

Looks good! Glad to see a well upgraded and taken care of Z

Slizz
Car: 92 nissan 300zx

Nice build! Wish I had some connections like you haha!

EM.TT
08 Silverado All-Star
07 R6 (track)

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Trying to build a 500hp Z with a limited budget is very hard it turns out... but it'll get there. And yea my step father is a machinist and my girlfriends dad is a hot rod guru with all the fancy tools I don't have yet, definitely comes in handy having people like that around!

Ive got a question for the vets around here too. With my current mod list, is it safe to run 17 lbs. on 93? Should I drop it to 15 when it warms up just to be safe?
Also, my current EPROM tune doesn't account for the intakes, intercooler, or the new turbos. Is it possible i'm running a little on the lean side?

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

Although I am not running a setup like you and probably never will, everything I've read says that yes, you should definitely get a tune for your setup before pushing it hard or running it a lot I'd think. Your worries about lean and detonation are valid and would ruin your investment, and a tune will bring out the performance from your package while also making it safe at higher boost levels.
I'd definitely keep it at 14 and less until you can get that all nailed down with a dyno tune.

EM.TT
08 Silverado All-Star
07 R6 (track)

DCaff300ZX wrote:Although I am not running a setup like you and probably never will...
What is that supposed to mean?

And thanks, I'm ordering a SZ tune soon.

EM.TT
08 Silverado All-Star
07 R6 (track)

I'm already sensing people are looking the other way regarding my build, so I'm just going to put this out there.

Yes Im taking a different route than everyone else.
Yes I have some AMS parts. They were purchased years ago before I knew they were bad, they work fine, I'm leaving them.
Yes I have an FMIC. I've seen the data, and after I finish my IC piping and modify the end tank outlets, with ducting on the front end, it should be just as efficient as SMIC's.
Yes I have s*** wheels. Getting something worth having soon.
Yes I have "knock off" suspension components. I inspected and believe it or not, tested them, before I installed them. They're fine for a street car and are holding up very well.
Yes I have some used parts. They perform as they should and they saved me a lot of money.

I have fabrication skills and knowledge, so for something like my intakes and exhaust, I can get the same performance as some overpriced kit found on everyones build, for a fraction of the cost with the satisfaction of making something myself. I've done the research and studied other builds, hundreds of dyno charts, and designed the parts accordingly. The parts I made perform exactly as they should.

Edit: I may have taken Dcaff's post the wrong way, my bad. I've been getting a lot of heat lately from the local Z guys at school about part choices.
Last edited by EM.TT on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

z32loverboy

Yeah, you'll always run into either "purists" who don't want you to change anything from stock or the "over builders" who only respect builds with purely name brand parts. You have to have thick skin anytime you build anything to do with a car, no one is going to like it as much as you do. You'll always get the "well I would've done it this way.." run around. Trust me I've heard it all with my N/A build. Make it yours and tell everyone else to shut their mouth about what isn't theirs. You don't have to make anyone else happy with it but yourself.

I'm sure DCaff didn't mean it like you took it, not that type of guy. From what i've seen on his build thread his plan is for around 400ish hp or so. Just a different build path.

300ZXttZMAN
Car: 1990 300zx Twin Turbo 5 spd pearl white.

My Daily: 2008 Frontier NISMO package, 4x4 Crew Cab.

Very nice, props for making a well organized thread and a good read. Great pics also!

I'm about to add you to the build thread list.

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

EM.TT wrote:
DCaff300ZX wrote:Although I am not running a setup like you and probably never will...
What is that supposed to mean?

And thanks, I'm ordering a SZ tune soon.
Nothing negative to be sure, I've been very impressed with your work and skills, can't figure out why anyone would be giving you flack unless they're just envious.
I just will never be able to afford and most importantly keep alive such a high power setup and my goals are lower- 400HP/450TQ if I ever am able to afford upgrade replacements when needed.
Keep up the great work! :dblthumb:

EM.TT
08 Silverado All-Star
07 R6 (track)

Thanks for the compliments guys, really appreciate it. And z32loverboy, well put. I've noticed that trend too, but I just haven't been doing this long enough for the thick skin part yet haha.

Does anyone have any input on A/F controllers? I've been eyeing the AEM unit from Concept Z but I'm not really sure how necessary they are.

z32loverboy

I don't see the necessity in it personally, but if you wanna run it I guess it wouldn't hurt anything.

With a N/A Z32 that I'm building I gotta have thick skin. I've learned it's usually they're jealous or embarrassed by their car. It's almost always harmless lol just aggrovating

300ZXttZMAN
Car: 1990 300zx Twin Turbo 5 spd pearl white.

My Daily: 2008 Frontier NISMO package, 4x4 Crew Cab.

Any updates?

EM.TT
08 Silverado All-Star
07 R6 (track)

z32loverboy wrote:I don't see the necessity in it personally, but if you wanna run it I guess it wouldn't hurt anything.

With a N/A Z32 that I'm building I gotta have thick skin. I've learned it's usually they're jealous or embarrassed by their car. It's almost always harmless lol just aggrovating
Yea thats how I feel too, I'm still on the fence about them. I'll probably pass on that for now and pick up an Innovate unit when I start doing the tuning myself, if I go that route.

As far as updates go, I got my SZ tune and cast clutch release fork yesterday, hoping to get those installed possibly this weekend if I have time.

I told SZ I had full 2.5" ic piping (hoping they account for that), so now I can finally finish that up and get rid of the extra 4 feet of piping associated with the kit I have currently. I'm planning on mimicking the hardpipe leading to the throttle bodies with all the flanges and whatnot for the recirc's, which shouldn't be too bad. The tough part will be clocking the bottom IC inlets 90 deg. so that I can run the piping past the radiator just like the TDM kit. I still have some more planning to do, but I'd like to get going on that asap.

My to-do list to be completed before May:
-SZ tune install
-Clutch release fork install
-Replace knock sensor and sub-harness (going to do that while the trans is out, hopefully)
-Finish 2.5" ic piping
-Fab front splitter, radiator guides, and intake splash shields out of aluminum (probably 6061, not sure which gauge yet)
-New tires (looking at the BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2's, they're fatties)
-Install heat wrap, paint welds on the new exhaust to hopefully help prolong rust resistance
-Repaint mustache bar flat black

I'm gonna have to bust a** but I can't wait to get this stuff done. Pics and updates to come!

Godfoot
Car: 1994 GCZ32 Fairlady-Z
1998 ER34 Skyline
1999 Infiniti Q45t
2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe
2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
1978 Datsun 280Z
1994 Toyota Supra MKIV Single Turbo

Awsome Build man!! Beautiful Z. I certainly have Engine envy :bowrofl: :bowrofl: I see you are in WI. If you ever make it down to the Gurnee IL area hit me up we can do a Z cruise with some of the guys down here when things warm up!

EM.TT
08 Silverado All-Star
07 R6 (track)

Thanks! And yea that'd be awesome, if it ever will warm up...haha. But I'm in that area quite a bit, my girlfriend lives in Lake Geneva which from my understanding isn't too far?

EM.TT
08 Silverado All-Star
07 R6 (track)

Thread revival! I have been trying to find time to put together an update showing what I've been up to lately, and hopefully will be able to do so this weekend. I have tons of new photos since my initial post (new wheels, new coil-overs, other goodies) that I have been trying to get on my Mac from my Galaxy S4, but they just don't get along. Anyways, thought I'd chime in and let you know the Z is doing well! I have some sweet GoPro acceleration pulls that I'll upload if anyone is interested, plus sound clips of the exhaust I made! Stay tuned...

EM.TT
08 Silverado All-Star
07 R6 (track)

EM.TT
08 Silverado All-Star
07 R6 (track)

Here's a quick update on the new wheel and suspension set-up. I met a guy from the town over that totaled his Z a while back, and luckily he still had most of his goodies just sitting in boxes in his attic. I guess he lost the rear mid-corner at over 100 and rolled it, with the t-tops out, and only had a small gash on his elbow from the broken glass while climbing out. It makes me feel better knowing our Z's are at least half-way safe. Anyways, I bought his RPF1's (18x9.5 +45 and 18x10 +35) with tires for $800! Got home and put them on and find that the two wheels on the passenger side are bent near the hub and can't be repaired. Also found that one of the rear tires had a nice hole in the side wall that also couldn't be patched (not sure why). I used that unexpected and unfortunate turn of events to get all new rubber and also ordered two new wheels. He felt bad that they were bent so we made a deal and I traded him my A-Stars GP jacket and new Icon helmet for the Standard R1 coil-overs he had. It worked out well because I just sold my R6 and he just bought one, go figure. All in all saved about $1700 compared to retail.

PS- I have 7 tires with over 90% tread left that I am going to sell, PM if interested. (2 Nexen N3000 225/40/18, 1 Nexen N3000 265/35/18, 4 BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2's (literally almost new-under 800 miles) 225/45/17 and 255/40/17)

New stack in the middle. Still waiting on the 18x10, should be in by the weekend.

I bought the newer BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2's this spring for my blue wheels and really liked them so I thought I'd try them again. 245/40 for the front and 275/35 for the rear.

They're the widest tires I could find in their respective sizes (I have a thing for the fat ones). Definitely the widest 275's I've seen!

I the 225's he had on the front were a little too narrow for my liking. Stretched= :facepalm:

Pretty dang clean, only about 1000 miles on them I'm told.

I like the scale on the strut body, should really help in setting ride height and preload. IIRC the spring rates are 10/8, which is a little stiffer than I want, but the new tires are pretty forgiving so that should help a little, I hope. There are definitely some rough roads out here in rural Wisco...

More to come!

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”