EFI swap

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
ray17v
Car: 280Z

Going from EFI to Carburated! !! IDGAF if its a dumb its my dream car. I have a 1975 AT 280z and wanted to KNOW what Wiring do i keep and get rid of. Also, Im selling all the parts comin off the car that has to do with the EFI. willing to trade for a carburated intake manifold.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

No one cares if you swap to carbs. People have been swapping EFI Z cars back to carbs since they started offering EFI in 74. The stock injection system's biggest problems are age related, the injector clips harden and crack and short out, otherwise it's actually a decent system based on the Bosch L Jetronic. Might want to add a third pedal while you're at it, it'll be easier to sell later without the automatic. The engine harness goes through the firewall below where you need to add a clutch master cylinder, the ecu lives behind the kick panel, it's pretty simple to remove, not much to it and the ignition will still function as it is not controlled by the ecu, the ecu does receive a signal from the ignition but it all just unplugs. The only part of real value is the intake manifold, your 75 should have the non webbed, non egr intake manifold, they sell for $100-150. The other parts are pretty worthless unless you can find someone who needs them. Also remember you will have to swap out the fuel pump for a low pressure unit and a FPR the SU's can't handle more than 2-3 psi, the stock pump sends fuel at 40 psi! You will also have to rewire the fuel pump relay as it used to be turned on by the ecu. Or you can add a cam eccentric and a mechanical fuel pump as your 85 should have the N42 head with the hole already cut for a mechanical fuel pump, when you simply remove the electric one form the back of the car and replace it with rubber fuel hose.

ray17v
Car: 280Z

Thanks a million bro!!! Really helped alot!!!!

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”