Edmunds Versa review

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Big man in a little coat

By Caroline Pardilla Email | Blog Date posted: 05-02-2006

A clown car phenomenon is sweeping the auto industry. The Scion xA, Honda Fit, Kia Rio5 and Toyota Yaris are all not only comically shaped but capable of cramming five passengers into their diminutive proportions. Born out of rising gas prices and long wait lists for hybrids, this trick gets you high fuel-efficiency and a low sticker price without having to sacrifice people-hauling capability.

A new player in the subcompact circus, the 2007 Nissan Versa is the first shared platform between Nissan and its parent company Renault. Built on the carmaker's "B" platform, the Versa already populates roads all over the world as the Renault Megan and Nissan Tiida.

We've already tried out the brand-new subcompact competitors from Honda and Toyota, and were mightily impressed with the Fit, but not so much with the Yaris. Eager to see where the Versa hatchback fell into the order of small things, we sampled two versions for this first drive, one with a six-speed manual transmission and one with the optional continuously variable transmission (CVT).

Coming attractions When the new Versa hatchback hits dealerships in early summer 2006 (late 2006 for the sedan version), economy-car shoppers will get to choose between two trim levels. The base 1.8 S is simply equipped with air conditioning, power mirrors, a split-folding 60/40 rear seat, 15-inch wheels and a six-speed manual or four-speed automatic. If you're worried about the safety angle, Nissan has you covered, as every Versa comes standard with front-seat-mounted side airbags and full-length head curtain airbags.

Those seeking more conveniences can go with the 1.8 SL, which comes standard with alloy wheels, cruise control, power windows and locks, keyless entry, an in-dash CD changer, an auxiliary input jack for MP3 players, alloy wheels and a six-speed manual or Nissan's Xtronic CVT.

We sampled a silver 1.8 SL hatchback CVT and a blue 1.8 SL six-speed, both optioned out with the ABS Package (ABS, Electronic Brakeforce Distribution and BrakeAssist), Convenience Package (Bluetooth, a keyless ignition system and a leather-wrapped steering wheel) and a sunroof. Although a base model starts at $12,300, the 1.8 SL starts at $14,950, and our testers cost between $16,000 and $17,000.

Other options include a sport package, an audio package, satellite radio and leather seats.

Decent cosmic powers… Yes, Nissan is still offering a conventional four-speed automatic transmission as an option on the base S model. Although the carmaker expects the 1.8 S with the conventional automatic to be the volume seller, it admits it's only offering the transmission as a stopgap measure. Fact is, there just aren't enough CVTs to fill demand because the same unit will be used in the redesigned 2007 Sentra. Both cars will be built at the same plant in Mexico.

Powered by a DOHC, 1.8-liter inline four, the front-wheel-drive Versa packs 122 horsepower at 5,200 rpm and 127 pound-feet of torque at 4,800 rpm. Pound on it and the engine grows loud and buzzy above 4,000 rpm, but not enough to deter us from finding its 6,500-rpm redline.

Although our CVT-equipped SL hatch provides peppy pickup when jumping on the freeway, we still prefer the Renault-designed and -built six-speed manual that seems to get more thrust out of the little engine. It also has a smooth clutch engagement and slick shifter.

Mileage with the CVT is an estimated 30 city and 36 highway versus 28/34 with the four-speed automatic and 30/34 with the six-speed manual.

At a constant cruise, the cabin is surprisingly well insulated from wind and road noise, and the ride quality is comfortable and stable at high speeds. Nissan has tuned the Versa's suspension specifically for American roads and driving styles, and the result is a little car with a solid, tied-to-the-road feel. We might even call it sporty.

The steering is also nicely weighted and precise. Often electric assist systems like the one in the Versa have an artificial feel, but not this time. The brakes, on the other hand, feel a bit wooden.

…Itty bitty living space? The Versa surprised those who boarded it after prejudging the car too small to possibly be comfortable. On a dare, one editor took off with the baby Nissan and two friends for a weekend getaway, packing up luggage for three and two days' worth of groceries. Although bringing a fourth passenger seemed unthinkable due to the overflow of cargo taking up half of the backseat, no one complained about feeling boxed in. The comfortable seats, wide-open visibility and cupholders for all (dual front and rear) helped lessen their claustrophobia.

On an errand that unwittingly landed one editor parallel-parked in front of a Southern California Nissan dealership, the Versa drew out the curious 20-person sales team, none of whom had ever laid eyes on this all-new hatchback. For entertainment's sake, two meaty 6-foot-5 car salesmen squeezed into the backseat. "It's actually comfortable back here!" they laughed, sitting shoulder to shoulder with their knees grazing the front seats.

Although the Versa is the entry-level replacement for the Sentra, which will move up a notch in price in the '07 lineup, this subcompact actually outdoes the well-known sedan in interior space. Even compared to the redesigned 2007 Sentra, the hatch offers a class-leading 38 inches of backseat legroom, beating the Sentra's 34.5 inches. The hatchback's cargo space also overshadows the Sentra's 13.1-cubic-foot trunk space with 17.8 cubic feet (13.8 for the Versa sedan).

However, alongside direct competitors like the Fit, Yaris and Rio5, the Versa isn't the tiny titan it's billed to be. Although it has the most rear legroom, the Fit surpasses it in cargo volume (21.3 cubic feet) and rear headroom (38.6 inches versus 38.3).

At your fingertips Opinions were mixed on the Versa's interior materials quality. Swathed in a charcoal décor, both of our testers were furnished with attractive cloth upholstery and nicely textured plastics. Even the armrests on the door panels and center console are pleasantly cush. Despite the small touches of fake brushed aluminum, several editors felt the materials exuded a cheap roughness often associated with Nissans.

We liked the clean layout of the round gauges and the simple design of the radio and climate controls. Adjusting the temperature and fidgeting with audio settings while driving is a breeze. And with ample storage areas built into the doors, dash and center console, we always had a place for our knickknacks. The location of the seat controls is our only quibble. They're on the driver's right instead of the left because the door panels are too close to the seats for them to be in the traditional location. At least the driver seat is height adjustable.

Drum roll, please The more time we spent in the 2007 Nissan Versa, the more we grew to appreciate it. Sure, many editors found its looks unappealing, but compared to other clown cars in its price range, it packs in a lot of technology, horsepower and interior space for your money. Nissan hopes that trick will distinguish the new Versa from its many rivals.

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

Why do they have to be "clown cars"?

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I dunno. Maybe because they are small and you can get more thatn two people in it?

Repo Man

Yes, perhaps, but derogatory nonetheless.

audtatious

Yeah, but at least they are hitting all brands that way instead of focusing on one.

penpen-commander

doggy

wonS14aero
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX

With gas around $3 per gallon the Versa is the right car at the right time. Small cars are making a comeback.

Jesda

Like clowns, no one likes small utilitarian cars. You buy them out of need, not desire. Desire gets you a Corvette or a 350Z.

Need gets you a Versa and store-brand toilet paper.

boingo82
Car: 08 Versa SL CVT!

Jesda wrote:Like clowns, no one likes small utilitarian cars. You buy them out of need, not desire. Desire gets you a Corvette or a 350Z.

Need gets you a Versa and store-brand toilet paper.
On the contrary, I do LIKE small utilitarian cars. I like having something nimble, easy to park, fun through the curves. I like having space for whatever crap I'm hauling, and I like looking in the rearview and not seen 17 feet of metal behind me. I'm still in love with the 1991 Sentra I used to have. Great little car.

Want gets me small cars. Need gets me cars that I can fit 2 carseats in.

Repo Man

Well-stated boingo. Welcome to NICO!

Jesda

boingo82 wrote:I'm still in love with the 1991 Sentra I used to have. Great little car.
Contrastingly, thats the least favorite car I've ever owned, and it turned me off Nissan for years, LOL. It got stuck going up hills.

Scarcity forces us to make compromises. We'd all be driving Astons if we didnt have kids or budgets.

You can want something that fits your needs, but dont confuse it with being an actual 'want.'

PeterJ

Jesda wrote:
Contrastingly, thats the least favorite car I've ever owned, and it turned me off Nissan for years, LOL. It got stuck going up hills.

Scarcity forces us to make compromises. We'd all be driving Astons if we didnt have kids or budgets.

You can want something that fits your needs, but dont confuse it with being an actual 'want.'
Actually, I think you're confused by an inability to step outside of your own view of things on this topic. I could give a ratsass about owning an Aston or a Skyline for that matter. Sport hatches are my favorite type of car hands down...and the comprimise I make is owning a mid-size wagon b/c of the kid. Though it's a VW Passat wagon with a manual transmission, so it's not much of a comprimise.

The Versa (in its current form at least) doesn't qualify as a sports hatch, but I'll be comparing it to the Mazda 3 and the VW Rabbit whenever it hits dealers in this area. The Versa seems to be the best balance of attributes between affordability, fuel economy, amenities and driveability on paper.

My no comprimises car would be a VW Golf GT TDI, not sold on this continent. Absolutely everything I want and nothing that I don't.

Jesda

Basic macroeconomics. Scarcity is why we make compromises.

We give up certain things to have others. Those who save time/money by settling for less attractive, less enjoyable, and cheaper cars end up with more available for children, homes, other hobbies, etc [opporunity cost]. Of course, people with greater means aren't quite as restricted. Resources are "less scarce" [liberal use of terminology] for some than others.

Its nothing to really get excited about. This happened during the oil embargo too. We call them "economy" cars for a reason.

Example:zerothread/183708

Now, you do have a very valid point. In the real world, its nice to have well-equipped, versatile, and comfortable entry-level offerings that dont make you feel like you're living under the poverty line. Honda, Toyota, and Nissan deserve a lot of praise for that. Me? I'm a single guy with few obligations, so all I think about is torque.
Modified by Jesda at 2:09 AM 7/4/2006

boingo82
Car: 08 Versa SL CVT!

Jesda wrote:Basic macroeconomics. Scarcity is why we make compromises.

We give up certain things to have others. Those who save time/money by settling for less attractive, less enjoyable, and cheaper cars end up with more available for children, homes, other hobbies, etc [opporunity cost]. Of course, people with greater means aren't quite as restricted. Resources are "less scarce" [liberal use of terminology] for some than others.

Its nothing to really get excited about. This happened during the oil embargo too. We call them "economy" cars for a reason.

Example:..
I understand what you're saying, honest, but I just plain don't like big, powerful cars. I've driven Corvettes and not liked them. Not saying I could afford one anyway, but if I could, that's not what I'd buy.I owned my Sentra back when gas was $1 and I averaged 35mpg in that car. Fuel economy was not a priority. I liked it because I liked it. Sometimes you sit in a car, and everything's in the right place. It feels like the ergonomics were designed around YOU. That was the Sentra to me. Other cars, you never get comfortable. Something about them doesn't feel "right" and you can't put your finger on it.

You're saying I like cheap little cars because that's all I can like. Truth is, I like them because that's my taste. I don't need to go 0-60 in 3.8 seconds and have no desire to. I'm not aroused by the throaty growl of a V8. Not interested, sorry! Economics permitting, you might find me in a very expensive small car, but never a sports car.

Jesda

boingo82 wrote:I don't need to go 0-60 in 3.8 seconds and have no desire to. I'm not aroused by the throaty growl of a V8. Not interested, sorry! Economics permitting, you might find me in a very expensive small car, but never a sports car.
Sounds good to me.

toby

Look, some people can never get over the days when they had posters of Lamborghini Countachs on their walls, and associate that kind of car with all things manly. As for myself, and others here as well, the preference is for practicality and performance, the latter not being any less for having a smaller car. I mean, even if you have a car that does 200mph, the speed limit's still the same. Plus, with the glorified Aston Martin mentioned earlier, you have the added problem of pissing off less affluent individuals who see you in it, some of whom might harm you out of jealousy. That aside, the Versa is a car I both needed and wanted, to hell with the superior acceleration of whatever V6 and V8 cars out there that I could have bought, as this car does quite well for me in regards to passing power and acceleration, not to mention the benefit of superior fuel economy. I am a single guy with few obligations too, but I'm also smart enough to realize that since I'm the one who's going to pay for the car, I'm the only one who needs to be impressed by what I'm driving. Case closed.

Sahandman
Car: civic

I agree that we buy cars based on personal situation and timing. For example with soaring gas prices, its ideal to have a small fuel efficient car. I do not believe for one second that a man can reject a good old bmw m5, or a beast of a car land rover or a v-12 mercedez. No offense to some, but people usually start to hate cars they can't afford and change theyre attitude to call small economy cars "theyre favourite". Saying that doesnt mean u shouldnt be proud to drive ur versa, for me because im a university student, the versa is a lifeline and a life saver, however its unreasonable to talk trash about real big heavy fast oil guzzling automobiles.

timing and economy forces humans to compromise, if we all were rich cars like versa or fit or yaris would never get produced.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

That is a very incorrect blanket statement.

You couldn't pay me to drive a "beast" of a Land Rover as you call it. No way, no how. Super-luxury doesn't impress me, and size... it's scary. My wife's Hyundai is as large of a car as I will drive.

And I could say no to an M5 for one reason. It's called the M3. Again, a size issue. Not even sure I'd want something like that because, while it might be a fun toy to play with, it is the kind of car that would get me in SERIOUS trouble if I drove it every day.

Economics and egos be damned, you guys both know that people will buy what they like, there's enough choice in the market place.

And there are several of us here on the forum that value practicality above most other factors of a car, so well... telling us we're lying to ourselves is kind of annoying. So let it be.

Kermee

+1

Just look at my sig. I own a Lexus IS... and a Nissan Versa.

There's just no way in heck Lexus is ever going to get me into one of their huge SUV's and the Versa hit my bill PERFECT for a nice, comfortable, 5-door that gets great gas mileage and has some of the technology that my Lexus IS has (i.e. Bluetooth, keyless entry & keyless start, etc.)

Everyone should be purchasing their vehicles on relative needs. Not wants. Frankly everyone has to be honest or prudent to themselves. I remember watching Tiff on a recent episode of Fifth Gear basically test driving someone's personal Enzo and street-legal McLaren F1.

Would I like to have an Enzo? Sure! Would I like to buy one if I was independently just flat out weathly? Probably not. I'd end up joining a Supercar Car Club like the one in Arizona.

Cheers,Kermee

P.S. But I would buy an M3...The E92 body looks NICE.

Cheers,Kermee

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Ever Victorious hit the nail on the head. People buy what they want. Not what statistics or someone else's version common sense says they should want. (Although I will add that a lot of people are VERY easily influenced in regards to what they "want").

I'll throw my $0.2 in, just for fun.

Like Jesda, I'm a "big car" person. My 93 Maxima is almost too small for me. My dad's 2004 Maxima is getting very close to perfect.My ideal car is a long-wheelbase BMW 7-series or a Cadillac STS (seville or current). Small cars really don't appeal to me...in fact small size is a huge "turnoff" for me as far as cars go. I'd never consider an Altima or G35 (or IS) because they're so small (the Z is a different story, since it's a 2 seater). I guess part of that has to do with the fact that I'm 6'4" tall. But really it's just that big cars appeal to me more. I have no idea why.

There are a few small cars that I do like and would be more than happy to drive, like the Versa or a Scion xB (though I think that's the whole extent of that list). And there are a few that really appeal to me like the B13 Sentra, Mazda 3 or Miata (there's an odd one: tiny, 2 doors, and convertible...all things I strongly dislike...and yet I love the car...). But they're not anywhere on my "I must own one before I die" list like the 750il or STS or Q45.

Return to “Versa General Chat”