ECM reprogramming needed?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Holidazed
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE

My "service engine soon" light has been on and off for a couple months now. On for a week then off for a week. I took it to the Nissan Dealership today and was told that nothing is wrong with the truck but that the light was on because there was an ECM upgrade available that needs to be installed. They want to charge me $108 to update my ECM in order to get the SES light to stay off. The update they want to do just changes the emissions tolerance so the sensors arent as sensitive. There would be no change in perfomance that I know of.

So do I need to get this upgrade? has anyone else had the dealership reprogram their ECM? is there another place or way I can get it done cheaper than $108?
Modified by Holidazed at 1:23 PM 6/18/2009

Holidazed

anyone?

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

There is a reflash/reprogram of the ECM that should be done after an O2 sensor(s) have been replaced. This is a known problem/fix. It prevents the new sensors from failing prematurely. Is this the upgrade that the dealer is talking about?

Holidazed

yes I think so. the dealership I bought the truck from (not a nissan dealership) replacedthe 02 sensors and all 3 catalytic converters before I bought the truck from them. but they didnt have the ability to reprogram the ECM when I asked them about it.

So now is it required to pay nissan $108 to do this?Is there any way to get it done cheaper?

Holidazed

anyone else have any thoughts on this situation?

JonathanPrem
Car: 02 Nissan pathfinder 4WD SE

I got mine threw Nissan as well but try some local audio/electronic car shops if they do it. My installer told me he can do it and it was like half the price.

Holidazed

JonathanPrem: did you notice any difference after you had the reprogramming done?

JonathanPrem
Car: 02 Nissan pathfinder 4WD SE

Holidazed wrote:JonathanPrem: did you notice any difference after you had the reprogramming done?
I really couldn't tell any difference. But O2 senors don't give you better gas mileage if you where wondering

Flyingdog
Car: 1998 Infiniti QX4

did the dealer charge you to have the codes read? which one did you go to?

Holidazed

Regency Nissan in norh vancouver.They didnt charge me to read the codes at the time because I was getting some other work done at the dealership and convinced them to check the engine light for me. normally they would charge about $110 I think.

My engine light is still on (more than 6 months now I think) and no problems. drives the same as always and smoothly. no other warning lights on. I am assuming the light is just regarding the emmissions update...not worth paying $110 mroe to get updated in my opinion

Flyingdog
Car: 1998 Infiniti QX4

Have you been able ot get car cared with the light on?

Holidazed

since my truck is a 2001 I do not need airCare

JPOWERS
Car: 2001 QX4 4x4

The update they want to do widens the range the vehicles computer considers a bad o2 sensor. Imagine a new o2 sensor sends a signal 20x per second to the comp telling the comp the air fuel ratio. Well a stock program may consider a o2 sensor that sends a signal every 8x per second a bad sensor because thats what Infiniti believed they needed to do to pass strict emissions laws. Well Infiniti looking back I am sure after warranty claims galore they decided to widen the range to lets say to 6x or 5x per second, everything works fine and less bad o2 sensors. So there is always a chance one of the o2 sensors can still be bad unless monitored with a scan tool by someone who knows what they are doing. I do believe there are some other small modifications not 100% sure though. The numbers above are not 100% accurate but they are a good basic example. The MPGs you get back from the vehicle not being in closed loop will prob pay for update in a couple of months. But don't fix something thats not broke all you non SES light cars. Good Luck

Hermes
Car: 2008 Nissan Pathfinder

They reprogrammed my ECM chip when I was having a thud at about 35 mphif I let off the gas, then back on, there was sort of a "clunk", "pause"

after they did it, I didn't notice it anymorethis was on a 2008 Pathfinder

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”