Easiest way to change your Transmission Fluid?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Q45Owner
Car: Infiniti Q45

So I decided to change my transmission fluid for the second time today and as I was underneath looking for a drain plug ala my Maxima and previous Lexus's that I've had over the years, lo and behold, I did not see one. So instead I got out my handy hand pump and pumped out about 3 full quarts through the dipstick opening and refilled with Mobil 1 ATF. Anyway, I could have sworn I read on here that there was a drain plug for the transmission somewhere, but I guess there isn't one? Is the only way to drain from underneath is by dropping the pan? I've never done that before so I'm a little unsure if it's a messy and/or difficult process. Can anyone that's done this chime in so I have an idea on how to do this next time? Thanks

qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

19mm drain plug on trany pan.i can get 5+ quarts out pulling the plug and letting her drip for a few hours if parked on a incline with the nose of the car pointed up.Easiest maintenance item on the Q there is.

SanCarlosQ45
Car: 1994 Q45 144,000
2013 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x
1967 MGB GT Special

Early transmissions(90-~93) left the factory without a drain plug, inline cooler or dual row cooler in the radiator. Many dealerships added a pan with a plug as well as an inline cooler which is what the 91' transmission I put in has. Maybe someone replaced your pan with an earlier one? Is the pan flat on the bottom with no ridges?

Only real option is to drop the pan to replace the fluid, since your there might as well replace the screen filter since it comes with the gasket. Probably should undo a corner to start with. Or you could do it unintentionally like me which was to remove the engine and trans together from the top without sealing the back of the transmission :gapteeth: Great way to remove almost all of the 10-12 quarts inside the transmission case.

Q45Owner

Thanks for the replies guys. So after looking at it again today, I do see the drain plug on the pan. I guess I noticed it originally when I was looking at it, but the head of the plug seemed a little shallow to me, so didn't think that that's what it was. I'll definitely try draining it that way next time, cuz using the hand pump takes forever. I still might want to pull the pan down and change out the filter and gasket though if it's not too involved and messy.

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

of course its messy!
but you gotta do it at least once so you can replace the filter and clean the magnets.

Owner--I see you are using the M1-ATF. I used it very briefly 9 years ago but did not like how slippery it was between shifts. maybe off topic but what is qship and everyone else running? Dex III is really hard to find now, and I'm not quite ready to put in Dex VI without some empirical data on shift quality AND leakage (different synthetic add pak is not compatible with all seals particularly Viton (which i don't really know if the RE4R0#A has or not)).

Q45Owner

3Q Jay wrote:of course its messy!
but you gotta do it at least once so you can replace the filter and clean the magnets.

Owner--I see you are using the M1-ATF. I used it very briefly 9 years ago but did not like how slippery it was between shifts. maybe off topic but what is qship and everyone else running? Dex III is really hard to find now, and I'm not quite ready to put in Dex VI without some empirical data on shift quality AND leakage (different synthetic add pak is not compatible with all seals particularly Viton (which i don't really know if the RE4R0#A has or not)).
Yea, I'm actually doing it this weekend. I've done a few drain and fills over the past couple weeks to flush out some of the older fluid and I used Pennzoil Synthetic ATF (which btw they don't make anymore). But since it's on clearance, its pretty cheap around here, much cheaper than M1-ATF so thought it would be a good choice to clean out the older fluid. But I was gonna use the M1 after I did the pan drop. So you're saying it wasn't shifting right using the M1? I know one of the benefits of using it over regular Dex is that it's supposed to keep the temperature about 10 degrees cooler, which obviously can help extend the life of the tranny. But now that you say you didnt like how it shifted afterward, I'm wondering if maybe I should go with Amsoil or RP or some other compatible synthetic :gotme

qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

I have used Redline D4 synthetic ATF for most of the 305,000 miles and so far it is still operating like new.

Q45Owner

qship96 wrote:I have used Redline D4 synthetic ATF for most of the 305,000 miles and so far it is still operating like new.
Sounds good to me. I think I might in fact try the Redline.
There's a place near me that sells it for $11.99/quart. Not terrible, considering RP is selling for $14.99/quart :rolleyes:
I just don't wanna go with something where I'm forced to have to order online or join a cult (Amsoil).

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

I use Supertech ATF, The trick is to change it often and make sure the level is correct. Funny thing is the 1994 Q45a shifts smoother with high miles and less ATF services.

Ferrariferg
Car: 1991 Infiniti Q45 (Daily Driver)
1982 Datsun 280ZX coupe (Project)

I have searched high and low and I can not find an answer. Not sure where my service manual went either. How much fluid do I need for a standard fluid and filter change? Only thing I could find was a site saying the capacity is 10.8 quarts but I'm sure that's including the torque converter and for a bone dry trans. I already have the filter and picked up a couple quarts of ATF but just not sure how much more to pick up. And of course the guy at the parts store was no help.

I appreciate any help.
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I'm not sure what you mean by "standard fluid and filter change"

If you're just draining the pan, replacing the filter and gasket, and refilling, then I'd have going to be 3-5 quarts on hand. If you're doing a total flush with a flush machine at a shop, take 12-14 quarts.

Heath

3Q Jay
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

in my experience with 3 different RE4R03A trans... 4 qt is std for a drain only (or 5 if you bias it on an incline per qship).
5- 6 when you also pull the filter.
7-8 if you also pull the valve body (I have done that to install shift kit).

justjuiceit4
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SXs, (Coupe and Convertible) 1994 Infiniti Q45

Walmart sells Dexron III in gallon jugs for IRRC less than $15. Dex III is actually really good stuff compared to the ultra thin stuff OEMs put in their cars nowadays. I work for a major OEM and all the "DIY" guys there do not use the factory recommended fill and use DEX III instead! .

3Q Jay
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

justjuiceit4 wrote:Walmart sells Dexron III in gallon jugs for IRRC less than $15. Dex III is actually really good stuff compared to the ultra thin stuff OEMs put in their cars nowadays. I work for a major OEM and all the "DIY" guys there do not use the factory recommended fill and use DEX III instead! .
Are you sure they *still* sell it? I always bought my Dex III there until about 2 years ago, now when carefully looking at the supertech label it says something like.....blah blah, previously serviced by Dex III....
I know some people will freak about putting supertech in the Q, I'm not cheap and it has served me quite well for 10 years and 80k with regular changes. fluid always drains nice and bright pink.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”