EAI System Removal

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
Marteh
Car: Nissan 180sx

I have noticed that some people call the EAI (Exhaust Air Injection) an EGR but i haven't been able to get the information from doing a search so here i am posting to find out if anyone can give me any tips or even pictures on how to remove the EAI system from my car.

Car is a 97 180sx black top

supreamS14
Car: 96 240sx S13-blacktop Sr20deT

All I had to do was remove the boost control solenoid and change my turbo outlet(or weld the tube shut).

Marteh

the boost pressure solenoid and the EAI Control Solenoid are 2 separate parts, i dont think the Boost Pressure Solenoid has to be removed as its in no way connected to the EAI solenoid.

johnnyballs180
Car: 1990 240sx

a couple weeks ago i put in my new exhaust manifold, and the eai valve was in the way.. there was no way possible to mount it in the same area; i tried just moving it over and securing it, but the i found you don't need it.

on your intake, i think it's near/on the maf, there should be a hose that goes to the eai valve. you can simply cap that off. on the eai itself, you already know about the hose going to the turbo elbow.. like the guy above me said, you could just weld it. but if you have an s13, you could actually use an s14 turbo elbow... they don't have that stupid pipe on them. i have a t28 turbo in my 180, so the turbo elbow mounts right up; no hassles. my s13 elbow didn't fit quite as nicely as the original one. i think it was just that the gasket was a tad off; maybe you could just ream it out.

the boost control solenoid (i think that's it) has a little hose going from it to the eai valve as well. that one also cap.

the only thing that sucks is your car will emit more crap out of the exhaust; here, we have JCI every two years and emission testing is part of it. my car HAS to have the eai to pass; i just kept it in my shed.

Marteh

thanks for this post mate, does T25G bolt straight upto an S14 elbow?

johnnyballs180

the t25? mine became a really good door-stop... that's about all it's good for now, so i don't have it in front of me. i didn't try to put the s14 elbow on it, but seeing as how my s13 elbow fit right up to the t28, i'd imagine it should work just as well in reverse. again, my only issue initially was the gasket. it overlapped one of the holes (for the bolt, not the stud), but i was also using an s14 gasket. maybe it was just a fluke, but worst case scenerio, you could punch out or drill out that hole, if you end up with the same issue.good luck, and fill us in with your progress?

oh! i just thought of something. since you're probably going to be in that area, you could just take off your old elbow, remove the gasket between it and the turbo, and when you're shopping for an s14 elbow, just align the gasket up with it. that's way easier than taking out the turbo

johnnyballs180

EDIT::

it's not a boost control solenoid.. derr.. it's the eai control solenoid. i would imagine you could just take the damn thing off, and cap off the other line going to it, but there might be more to it than i think.today, i just so happened to break the little nipple off of mine.

FUN times. fun times.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”