Driveshaft Click?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
EvilIntentions
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport

I have searched high and low, on this forum and others, and have not come up with any definitive information for this issue, so please excuse if this has been covered before as I'm a NOOB! :mike

My car is a '06 M45 Sport. Symptoms with the car are that I hear a clicking sound, that seems to be coming from the rear brakes, when braking. I do not hear the noise at slow speeds, but I can't say definitively that it is not there. I put the car up on jackstands this past weekend all to hear a similar clicking when I roll a rear wheel back and forth while in neutral, I feel a small thud through the tire as well that is in time with the click.

I'm thinking that I have a bad u-joint at the front of the driveshaft (seems to be the point from which the noise is coming.)

Given all this, first, do I seem to have diagnosed this correctly? Secondly, does anyone know if the service manual is correct in that a complete driveshaft is needed to fix this issue, or are we able to service the front u-joint through some DIY magic? I have read about the FX having simliar issues, and there being a work around to a full driveshaft replacement.

Any and all information you folks can offer is greatly appreciated! :cheers:

DeanM45
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport 1 or 2 mods

I too have the same issue on my 06 M45 sport. I thought it was the suspension settling but a driveshaft makes more sense. While at a standstill, if I put the car in drive, click, put in in reverse click, in park or neutral no click.

The00Dustin
Car: 2006 M45

If you search, there is something about using the FX u-joint instead of replacing the whole drive shaft in a thread posted recently (my sense of time isn't great, so I'm not going to guess how recently). I'm not sure what you should search for, but if you find the thread I'm talking about, you can confirm whether or not it's for the M45, although it seems like it might have been for M35x..

AtlantaX
Car: 2006 M35

Could be the rear axle splines. Symptons include a loud click, could even be a multi-click, when the axle begins moving forward or back. Only happens when going from no movement to movement. Fixed with repacking grease.

EvilIntentions

Thanks for the responses!

AtlantaX - as for the axle splines, I would figure that the clicking sound would come from the rear of the car near the diff were the splines dry? I was thinking of looking at the axle splines regardless as the car will be up for a while, and a little preventative maintenance never hurt anybody.

Dustin - with more time I'll definitely try a search for that FX thread again. Some time spent under the car this weekend may help further this conversation as well. Just need to make it through Friday. :squint:

mexillis
Car: M45s

Off topic but did you buy the fluidmotorunion car?

EvilIntentions

mexillis wrote:Off topic but did you buy the fluidmotorunion car?
Yessir, I did.

mexillis

Thought so, what mods did they sell it with and did they ever UpRev it?

EvilIntentions

As for the UpRev, I do not believe so. The car runs pig rich, so the fuel map seems to be quite stock. Getting a good tune for the car and getting it on a dyno is on my long list of things to do.

As for how I bought it; the car had air with 4 valves and 2 paddle switches, AP big brake kit on the front, headers and custom rear exhaust, wheels, intake, and a few other small things here and there.

*edit - I forgot about the nitrous, but I never used it and actually took it out.

mexillis

Cool, hoepfully you can tune it soon. I'm anticipating the numbers with that exhaust set up! As for your OP have you checked to see if your wheel bearing is bad?

EvilIntentions

Yeah same here, I'm very interested to know what the work they did netted as far as real power. If I may speak well of my own ride, it does sound good! :biggrin:

As to the wheel bearings, I did check these a few weeks ago when I was doing some more suspension tweaking and all sounded well. I'll give them a look again just to make sure, but given where the noise is coming from I'm doubtful, that and I have not heard any sort of bearing noise while driving. :gotme

I appreciate the interest and the suggestion. If I get the car on a dyno I'll be sure to share the results. :dblthumb:

Nice car btw, you on air as well?

mexillis

You'll have to post a sound clip one day, I don't think they did with your current set up. Nitrous? Didn't know they put that in. If you don't want it you can send it my way!

Not sure what's up with your noise issue but hoepfully you can get it resolved soon.

Yeah I'm on d2racing bags with accuair e level system and valves. Are you on UAS over stock struts?

EvilIntentions

The car's on d2 bags as well. A friend and I just upgraded the air to 8 valves with hydraulic hose running to the bags. Tried everything to stiffen the car up, but it's still pretty damn soft. I guess a few guys have pulled the collars off the front bags to mount them a little lower, likely going to try that next. Running 19s doesn't help ground clearance either. ; )

mexillis

I'm not a pro with bags, what does 8 valves do and how does that work? Now that you have hydraulic hose what size line's are you running? What clicks are you at now for dampering? I'm at 28f and I think it's pretty firm compared to 18 what I first had it at. Do you happen to know the specs on those wheels, offset n what not? Also what size tires are on there?

atlM35

I've read about replacing with the FX35 U-joint, but has anybody tried it?
Part number?

EvilIntentions

atlM35 wrote:I've read about replacing with the FX35 U-joint, but has anybody tried it?
Part number?
This is what I have been looking for and have yet to find. I should have the opportunity this weekend to take a look. If anyone does have this info, we'd greatly appreciate your sharing! ; )

Mex, I'll get with you thru PM.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”