Drivers door would not open

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
pjm47
Car: Nissan Rugue sl

Hi yesterday Dec 11/09 we were out doing xmas shopping.We were gone for about 3 hours and then returned home I could not open my drivers side door. My wife went around to the drivers side and used her key to see if she could open the door.Anyway i had no choice but to crawl over the console and go out her door. I am handicapped and have limited leg movement so this was no easy thing for me to do. We have a Nissan Rogue SL 2008 This morning the car door opened with no problem.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Is it cold and snowy where you are? I find the Rogue doors are poorly designed, and they ice up quite readily. We had 10 inches of snow here last weekend and the doors were just packed with snow and ice, but with a firm push from the inside they always opened.

Anyway, not sure what else to say, if you've got any warranty issues such as a faulty door latch you should take it to the dealer and they'll fix it for free. If it was due to ice and the door being frozen, there's probably nothing that can be done.

pjm47
Car: Nissan Rugue sl

No it was not due to snow or ice.I think it will turn out to be a door actuater part that i have read about. Any way i have contacted Nissan dealer where i bought the car and the service tech said bring it in and they will see what they can find the problem. I think the Muranos were having this problem too. What would you do if there was an emergency and you had to get out real fast????? There should be an emergency button or somthing to bypass the auto unlock on the doors when this happens. In my case being handicapped with limited use of my legs i had one hell of a time getting out.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I agree, that is terrible. And NIssan has been making cars for decades, they should have the door actuator design down pat, why would they continue to redesign it and open the door for defects like this? There are a few similar nagging items with this car that are starting to get under my skin.

Leo2005

This morning I had a problem with opening drivers door but I could open it from inside. Dealership said will take a look at that. Here's the statement: "Drivers door is not opening from outside. Removed window regulator and inner latch assembly and found ball came apart in handle. Reinstalled handle cable assembly. No charge." The only thing I'm not happy with is that they called me before doing the work that they have to cut the dynomat insullation but I had no choice. Now I have to take a look but will be able to only in the spring.

philipa_240sx

I had the identical problem to Leo2005 last spring. The linkage 'fell off' from the outer door handle and the driver's door would only open from the inside. Dealer fixed it in less than an hour and it has never reoccurred.

Nick 568
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Happened to me today while xmas shopping... Won't open from the outside, so I have to open the passenger door, then lean across and open the driver's door from the inside. Lovely.The handle does pop out a bit more than it should though, and you can see into the door a bit.

Nice to know that I'm not alone with this issue though.

Cypress_1973
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Premium

My door just failed to open this morning. Luckily I had an appt. for my 18 000 km service and to have the fuel sending unit replaced too today . I mentioned to the manager the door would not open from outside, and he informed me there is a new service letter/bulletin out to replace the seals on the doors to prevent this from happening. All warranty. So hopefully this will rectify the problem.

Nick 568
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

I got mine fixed today, and I was told it was a linkage that came apart, and that they put it back together and modified it a bit so that it wouldn't happen again.

harryg
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

i dont know if this is relevant but just took the rogue in a few days ago for the other recalls and they said there is a recall on the door handles...they put some type of foam or seal so they dont freeze....maybe your guys door handles got water in them and the ice buildup caused the part to break or loosened a part???

Leo2005

Just dropped off the car this morning for second repair. This morning the door didn't open again with the same problem. Also they will reprogram transmission and do the recall on steering wheel. They said there's no recall for tpms sensors. The door handle was ordered and will come next week. So for a week I will have no access to the driver's door from outside. Mechanic said 2 rogues stopped by yesterday with the same issues. That's what happen to the car that brand new to the market. I'm sure Rogue will have no simple problems like that after being about 5 years at the market but for now it's a pain.

Leo2005

Update:Just picked up a car. Vibration is almost gone. I can feel it at the steering wheel but I even got used to original vibration awhile ago. Anyway...the handle still not fixed:Tech performed recall P9249 CVT NoiseTech performed recall R09060 Steering GearTech installed plate lock-kit D864-JG00ASpecial order parts:80501-JM10A Lock & Remote C80611-JM01A Bracket Outside80640-AM205 Grip-Outside HA80645-AM805 Escutcheon-outs

Mainiac
Car: - '08 Rogue SL AWD
+ '11 Rogue SL awd

Well, mark up another.

Last night trying to go to work I had to open the drivers door from the inside, the outside handle does nothing (except the [un]lock button works).

Leo2005

One more unstable problem. This morning after I opened my door (from inside because the door handle still not fixed) I couldn't close my door. Went outside checked the lock on the door seems to be working fine but the door doesn't wanna close at all. I was ready to take my nephews car but suddenly after I finished my cigarrete the door closed. I don't think I'm taking it to the d-ship since it is working now fine.

Leo2005

My door stopped opening even from inside yesterday. I think mechanic after checking the door handle didn't install the ball in the handle the right way (not all the way down) and that's why I couldn't close the door in the morning and now I can't open it at all.

koolyce
Car: Rogue SL AWD 2009

I have the problem...can't open the driver door from outside. I need to open it from the inside!!!

Really funny because my dealer did a TBS about something on the door to prevent this....

Leo2005

Everything is fixed. Tech replaced outer door handle and inner bracket with cable assemblies because the handle cable frozen as well. I asked them to put the chrome door handle but they declined by saying to get a warranty claim they have to put original (black) door handle. At the same time I asked them to put chrome handle if I order it they said they can do it after the original would be installed. If I do it myself the warranty would be void.

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

So they wanted to charge Nissan for the warranty labor and then charge you the labor for the change of the door handles to chrome? Two birds with one stone kinda deal.

If they have been more customer oriented, they should have change the door handles to the chrome ones while doing the recall, charge Nissan for the recall and charge you a few bucks (+ the parts) for the chrome change: Charging the full labor price is kinda taking your customer for a dumb person.

But I believe asking for a customer oriented service at a dealership is still a little bit too much to ask.

Leo2005

I agree. But I can't do anything about it. If we ever get a recall from Nissan about door handles after the recall I'll replace the outer unit myself because I'm tired to replace aftermarket covers. Just because of that I'm not going to the dealership to replace my door handles to chrome when I can do it myself. I had to replace it twice already the covers because the air goes under the clear coat and gives me a straight line. Looks like somebody played with the key.

gretajd
Car: Nissan Rogue

In December my drivers door would not open. Brought it to the dealer and they said they put the cable back in. 3 weeks later my passenger side door would not open from the inside or outside. Brought it back to the dealer and they got it to open from the inside but not the outside.

I have now been waiting 3 weeks for some part that is coming from another dealer. For some reason they seem to have no idea when it will arrive. I even sent my husband in to complain in case they were giving me "woman" treatment.

I have filed a complaint to the corporation. If the cable detaches once I'm sure it will detach again. I don't know how long it takes to issue a recall but this is a very dangerous problem. Does someone have to be injured before they issue a recall? I really worry that God forbid there is an accident I won't be able to get myself or my children out of the car.

philipa_240sx

Well, it happened to me for the second time in a about 8 mos. The driver's side outer door handle wouldn't work. Had to open the door from the inside.

I'm headed to the dealer in the AM for the repair, CVT reprogram and steering gear recall.

philipa_240sx

I was a bit behind in updating the FAQ. Here is the Nissan Tech Service Bulletin regarding door handles:

NTB09125 - CP 2008 - 2009 Rogue; Front Door Handles - Voluntary Service Campaign

In certain 2008 and 2009 Nissan Rogue vehicles, to assure customer satisfaction, Nissan is conducting a voluntary service campaign to install seals to the door latch assembly and apply special grease to the door cable ends to prevent freezing under certain conditions. See this bulletin for further details.

philipa_240sx

Ok, done. I can now get in via the drivers door again!

As per the TSB above, the issue was a door handle/mechanism that would freeze up in cold weather. It turns out we had a mild spell with rain that turned to snow yesterday and that were the perfect conditions for this to occur. The new door handle seals and grease should eliminate the problem.

I was quite happy with the service. Very courteous and efficient. Besides, it gave me time to eye the 370Z's they had in the showroom.... a beautiful yellow 370Z touring and a black 370Z convertible. I used to dream of owning Nissan's sports cars. I've owned a 240SX, maybe it's time for a Z? Drool....

xgroza
Car: 2009 Nissan Rougue

Guys could you please tell me the original part code of the seal that they are going to change? The thing is that I'm in Ukraine, thousands of miles away from dealership that know about this problem. But I can order this part from US if I know the code number. I had this type of problem for 2 times already and it is very annoying to use passenger door to get in.

Leo2005

A dealership Nissan zakazat tebe ne mojet? Kstati vse detali vishe perechisleni.

albertwang53
Car: Rogue

philipa_240sx wrote:I was a bit behind in updating the FAQ. Here is the Nissan Tech Service Bulletin regarding door handles:

NTB09125 - CP 2008 - 2009 Rogue; Front Door Handles - Voluntary Service Campaign

In certain 2008 and 2009 Nissan Rogue vehicles, to assure customer satisfaction, Nissan is conducting a voluntary service campaign to install seals to the door latch assembly and apply special grease to the door cable ends to prevent freezing under certain conditions. See this bulletin for further details.
Almost a month ago my passanger's side door stopped opening from the outside and I was thinking to wait for the weather get warm to figure out myself. Today the driver side door quit opening from the outside so I was like WTF is wrong with this less than 3 years old car.

I'm taking the car in tomorrow to have both door handles checked out. Could someone please tell me if I will get charged for repairing them. I'm not sure what warrenty I have for door handles. I have a 2008 SL with 50000+ miles.

Any help or direction is appreciated.

azhrei
Car: 08 Rogue
87 ranger

in my case it is the passenger side... and won't open from either side and the window would only go down about 1/2 way was trying to get it apart and now window is also stuck up... :-(

it is an 08 and out of warranty... so anyone know how to open the door so I can pull the panel?
thanks
Paul

if I should start a new thread please let me know...

terrylamprecht
Car: 2008 Nissan Rouge SL

I as well encountered this problem a couple of days ago. I was told that my bumper to bumper warrenty is expired, so I attempted to fix this problem myself. After defeating the task of disassembly. I noticed that the cable seemed not to be moving even though door latch was working correctly. I concluded that the cable had snapped. After further disassembly I confirmed this. I took a trip to the dealership with window duct taped up to see about a replacement. I was very upset to find that this $5 cable was not available by itself. Only the entire door latch assembly could be ordered. We only purchased this vehicle 3 weeks ago and am very upset that I recieved no service to cover such a common issue. I was not even asking for labor, just a replacement cable. The cost of the entire assembly was $170, so for now I am looking for someone who sells just the cable. In my opinion this issue is probably caused from whoever installed the cable bending it with a pair of plyers. Still waiting to see if our salesman can do anything for us. This issue will probably determine whether or not we ever buy a car from him again.

diesel250
Car: 2009 Rogue AWD

Driver's side door handle problems on my 09 S AWD. Had about 10F weather last week after it had been raining. The doors were frozen. I knew better than to really jerk on the handle so i just pulled enough to get it open. Apparently that was enough for the handle. Opens from the inside now and not from the outside. At the dealer today. I reminded them of the tech service bulliten about locks freezing. We'll see how it goes.

diesel250
Car: 2009 Rogue AWD

Just spoke with the dealer. Covered under a warranty extension of the door handles. And they are applying the fix for the freezing issues.
Nice.

Return to “Rogue Forum”