Driver Door Lock/Latch Problems on J30

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
j30freak

:help

For awhile now, we haven't been able to lock the driver door with the electronic switch (the one that controls all of the doors). We have had to use the key.

Last night the key didn't work to lock the door. Neither did the switch by the interior door handle. In fact the door wouldn't even stay shut.

We finally got it to lock by turning the key both ways several times. This morning the door wouldn't unlock with the key. We have to go in through the passenger door and manually flip the lock.

This happened once when we first got the car, but hadn't happened since. I actually bought a replacement latch the first time it happened after reading some posts here, but my mechanic said that it is not usually the latch that fails on the J30, it's usually the solenoid. Is this true? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I've heard of this several times... maybe there's something about it on Carlos' site - http://www.fuzzycats.com/j30.htm

Or call Joe at http://www.everythinginfiniti.com 1-888-216-5328. He'll know what parts you need. I seem to recall a switch or solenoid - so I think you're on the right track.

Heath

j30freak

Turns out it was a failed latch. From the J30 site above, "A failed actuator would not prevent you from opening the door, only a failed latch would." Yep, tis true, tis true.

missmy240Z
Car: 94J30t, 91CRX, 91 Montero, 87 Nissan Truck

My J has now done the same thing, door stuck shut/closed. Silly me walked out after a quick run into the gas station to see my door did not close. Slammed it and it kept bouncin' open. Looked at the latch and figured it just stuck open so I popped it to the lock position and shut the door and the door stayed shut. Had I know of this latch issue before I would have just risked the car ride home holding the freakin door closed.I hear the locks open and the drivers door will not open from either handle. I thought that a LockSmith could pop the door open but the one that was out here could not do it. My Question here is "HOW DID YOU GET THE DOOR OPEN??" Can a "competent" LockSmith pop it???? Or is a razor knife and saw-zaw in my near future?If anyone can answer this I will be VERY, VERY grateful.

I did not want to start another thread on this topic so I hope this jumps back to the top

Elisha
Car: Infiniti J30

i would like to know as well cause the latch has failed on both my back doors.

carlos_knology
Car: 1995 Infiniti J30

Elisha wrote:i would like to know as well cause the latch has failed on both my back doors.
I think the only way to do it is to roll the window down and try to stick something inside the door to get it to open.

Somebody posted instructions on how to do this and I cannot find them doing a search. I even searched the Yahoo! group and didn't find it.

I can't remember exactly but I think the person used something to push on the rod that unlocks the door latch. It would be a pain to do as there's no space. I imagine the window glass would be in your way and it's DARK in there.

Carlos

Elisha

it was a long screwdriver. i have to feel for a small placticy cover and break it.i read that post but i was wondering if there is another way.and where do i get the latch from Carlos?the dealership wants $148 but in the DIY site its posted as $23.

missmy240Z
Car: 94J30t, 91CRX, 91 Montero, 87 Nissan Truck

ok, where did you find this info about the screwdriver, in here? Can you find the link and post it in this thread so I can jump to it please.

FRONT DOOR LATCH part #'s are #80502-89910#80503-89910 $32.50 each from the VERY GOOD PEOPLE @ Scottsdale Infiniti1-888-216-5328

door panel clips (hold panel to door)part # 80999-VE000 .61 each get some for the ones you strip/break takin door panel off (assumin u can get the door open damn things!)

oh yeah, DOOR LOCK TIMER Assem is part #28450-10Y06 and is $65.75 from, again, the VERY GOOD PEOPLE @ Scottsdale Infiniti/Nissan.

Again, has anyone else solved this door stuck/locked shut issue in any other ways and or if you did the screwdriver deal do you have any tips: window up or down? be in car or outa car? 6-pack, 12-pack or pony Keg of beer to do the job right, etc, etc..

Thanks

Elisha

i can't find the post. it was about 2-3 weeks ago that i saw it and i don't know if it was archieved or it it was a current topic.thanks for the part numbers.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”