Dreaded P1130 Code

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
familyguytoo
Car: 2004 Nissan Patfinder

Just bought a 2004 Pathfinder with 39K miles on it last week. This week it poped a Dealer Maintenance Code P1130, which in my search points to a "Swirl Control Valve Solenoid". Being new to the 2004 3.5 Pathfinder engine can someone post a picture or point me to where the solenoid is located. The pictures that I have found are in the Maxima forum and don't look like my engine.

Also are there any other associated parts that could be causing this fault. What worries me is that in one of the forums someone stated that the problem could be the intake maifold itself.....That really scares me.

thanks

familyguytoo

Located the Swirl control valve solenoid in the front of the engine under the plastic cover. It seems to be part of a black vacuum tank which also houses the VIAS control solenoid. Does anyone know if the solenoid can be purchased separately or is it all one assembly with the vacuum tank. Also if anyone has a part number that would help out alot. I had it off but there were no numbers stamped on it.

Thanks

familyguytoo

spent this last Saturday taking off the black vacuum tank with the VIAS solenoid and the Swirl control solenoid. The swirl control solenoid (P/N 14956-1P101, Nissan Dealer cost $96.00)is a separate part that is just pressed into a vacuum port on the vacuum tank. By removing the two phillips screws and the small hex bolt you can pull the Swirl solenoid out of the vacuum tank. By applying a hard +12 volts and ground to the two pins on the swirl solenoid connector you can engage the solenoid. Blowing into the input tubes on the valve while engaging the solenoid will tell you if the internal diaphram is working. My Swirl Control Solenoid tested good. There are two black tube hoses which originate at the swirl control valve and go to the air breather box (air filter) and the swirl control valve vacuum check switch. Make sure that these hoses are not clogged. My hose going to the check switch was blocked with some kind of white crust. I ran a thin stiff wire thru it several times which opened it up. Also checked all the other vacuum hoses coming to and from the vacuum tank while I was at it.

Have been driving for four days now with no error codes popping the dealer maintenance required indicator.

IMPORTANT: Mark all of your vacuum hoses so that you put them back in the correct port............

zapatarvp
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Thnx for your Post! It helped us clear a clog in a vaccume hose on my 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE. It took us about 30 minutes. Steps: 1. Go start at hoses 1st! If I would of started there I would of found the clog quicker and the job would of been less time consuming. 2. Then check the silinoid. I fould a white powder like residue in the hose that goes from the vaccume check valve and cleared it out with a hanger wire. Last step I took is put it all back together and cleared the code. So far so good. Good luck.

Pathofinder
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 2wd Vq35De

my car is throwing this code and I dont get where this vacuum box is you guys are talking about and how do you do this "blow" test and what exactly should be moving??

Id love to get this problem solved, I think it is causing some drivability and power loss problems.

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

The "blow test" is take the vacuum hose off and see if you can blow through it.

The FSM has a 10-page test procedure for this code.

Chuck

Maddawg2020
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE

I have a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE and had the same error code P1130 come up yesterday. After cruising the web and accidentally finding this site, I just wanted to let you know your advice was right on! I check the local Nissan deal for the price on the Swirl control Valve - $139.70, and NAPA - $75.69 ONLY to follow your advice and check the vacuum hoses first. BINGO, you could blow thru them but I decided to run a wire thru them also. What came out must have been enough little white crust to trigger the error code. Just got back from a test drive and NO error code. 1/2 of my own time and $$$ left in my pocket. THANX YOU GUYS ROCK!!!
- Maddawg

sadesq
Car: 2002 Pathfinder LE

I have encountered the P1130 Code. I have followed the advice posted. Must you have the code cleared after checking the hoses? If so, must that be done by the dealer? Also, if clearing the hoses was the problem will the code (Service Engine Light) go off after using the vehicle for a sufficient period of time? Thank you for your help.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Welcome to NICO.

If the problem is resolved, the code should disappear within a few driving cycles.

sadesq
Car: 2002 Pathfinder LE

Towncivilian,

Thank you for your response.

I'm pleased to be a member of NICO.

coachjeff68
Car: 2002 Pathfinder

familyguytoo wrote:spent this last Saturday taking off the black vacuum tank with the VIAS solenoid and the Swirl control solenoid. The swirl control solenoid (P/N 14956-1P101, Nissan Dealer cost $96.00)is a separate part that is just pressed into a vacuum port on the vacuum tank. By removing the two phillips screws and the small hex bolt you can pull the Swirl solenoid out of the vacuum tank. By applying a hard +12 volts and ground to the two pins on the swirl solenoid connector you can engage the solenoid. Blowing into the input tubes on the valve while engaging the solenoid will tell you if the internal diaphram is working. My Swirl Control Solenoid tested good. There are two black tube hoses which originate at the swirl control valve and go to the air breather box (air filter) and the swirl control valve vacuum check switch. Make sure that these hoses are not clogged. My hose going to the check switch was blocked with some kind of white crust. I ran a thin stiff wire thru it several times which opened it up. Also checked all the other vacuum hoses coming to and from the vacuum tank while I was at it.

Have been driving for four days now with no error codes popping the dealer maintenance required indicator.

IMPORTANT: Mark all of your vacuum hoses so that you put them back in the correct port............
Is this the same part number for an 02 pathfinder? What site did you find it on? nissanparts zone said it wasn't compatible with my vin number.
Thanks for any help.
Jeff

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

If you provide your VIN, I can look up the exact part number for you.

coachjeff68

Towncivilian wrote:If you provide your VIN, I can look up the exact part number for you.
I have JN8DR09Y72W72353 as my vin.
Thanks town!

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

I can't pull up info for that VIN. Are you sure it's correct?

coachjeff68

Towncivilian wrote:I can't pull up info for that VIN. Are you sure it's correct?
JN8DR09Y72W724353 I assume that is a zero and not the letter O

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

14956-1P110 or 14956-1P10A are the correct part numbers for you. Both are interchangeable.

coachjeff68

Thanks town! I will clean out lines even though they seemed clear and will have code reset to see if it comes back. If it does it looks like an east part to replace.
Jeff

zapatarvp
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Update. Still getting codes p1130 & p1140 even after inspecting hoses. Mechanic said because it comes on immediately after being cleared I will have to replace the swirl control valve and O2 sensor bank 1. I will order the parts today and see what happens after install. Gotta get this fixed asap to get my vehicle smogged for dmv.

Constance83

Imagespent this last Saturday taking off the black vacuum tank with the VIAS solenoid and the Swirl control solenoid.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

zapatarvp wrote:Update. Still getting codes p1130 & p1140 even after inspecting hoses. Mechanic said because it comes on immediately after being cleared I will have to replace the swirl control valve and O2 sensor bank 1. I will order the parts today and see what happens after install. Gotta get this fixed asap to get my vehicle smogged for dmv.
Why would you need to replace the upstream oxygen sensor if there is no O2 code being thrown?

P1140 is a completely unrelated code. Swap the passenger side camshaft position sensor with the driver's side; if the code becomes P1145, replace the camshaft position sensor.

Hopefully replacement of the solenoid valve will fix your P1130. Keep us updated!

dk203040
Car: 2003 QX4

familyguytoo wrote:spent this last Saturday taking off the black vacuum tank with the VIAS solenoid and the Swirl control solenoid. The swirl control solenoid (P/N 14956-1P101, Nissan Dealer cost $96.00)is a separate part that is just pressed into a vacuum port on the vacuum tank. By removing the two phillips screws and the small hex bolt you can pull the Swirl solenoid out of the vacuum tank. By applying a hard +12 volts and ground to the two pins on the swirl solenoid connector you can engage the solenoid. Blowing into the input tubes on the valve while engaging the solenoid will tell you if the internal diaphram is working. My Swirl Control Solenoid tested good. There are two black tube hoses which originate at the swirl control valve and go to the air breather box (air filter) and the swirl control valve vacuum check switch. Make sure that these hoses are not clogged. My hose going to the check switch was blocked with some kind of white crust. I ran a thin stiff wire thru it several times which opened it up. Also checked all the other vacuum hoses coming to and from the vacuum tank while I was at it.

4 Questions. . .
1) Did I short out my SWIRL CONTROL VALVE CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE when I degreased the engine of my 2003 QX4, 54,000 miles?

I tested my control solenoid with 12 volts to the solenoid, and there is NO CLICK, and of course the acutuator does not move either. So, is that then a positive confirmation that the SVC Solenoid is dead and needs to be replaced? I am of course getting the dreaded P1130 Code.

I did also run a wire through all of the connected vaccum lines and they are clear. And I do get 12 volts to the solenoid with the ignition on.

2) Is practical or possible to try a remove the solenoid from the black vaccum box without removing the black box from the engine?

3) The truck seems to be running OK. The acutator is always resting against the dowel or short round post. I don't know if that shows that the swirl valve is always Open, or always Closed. I am definitely confused here.

4) What difference is performance would I notice if the acutator moved off of the short round post?

Thanks.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Is there vacuum existence if you apply 12v of current between the swirl control valve actuator? See EC-503.

Here is a blurb from the FSM describing what the swirl valves actually do:
This system has a swirl control valve in the intake passage of each cylinder.
While idling and during low engine speed operation, the swirl control valve closes. Thus the velocity of the air in the intake passage increases, promoting the vaporization of the fuel and producing a swirl in the combustion chamber.
Because of this operation, this system tends to increase the burning speed of the gas mixture, improve fuel consumption, and increase the stability in running conditions.
Also, except when idling and during low engine speed operation, this system opens the swirl control valve. In this condition, this system tends to increase power by improving intake efficiency via reduction of intake flow resistance, intake flow.
The solenoid valve controls swirl control valve’s shut/open condition. This solenoid valve is operated by the ECM.

dk203040

Town, Thanks for the quick feedback. I did read that in the FSM, but could not really relate. My truck seems to be running fine or OK. I guess the quote is saying that the engine would have even more power above the low RPM's than it currently does, and perhaps better fuel efficiency. Is that right?

I think my SCV solenoid is dead, and I see that the actuator linkage is permenantly resting on the small round post, does that mean the SCV is open permenantly or closed permenantly, I'm confused.

Also, could you tell me if I am correct in assuming that the scv solenoid is indeed dead, since there is no 'Click' when I touch 12 volts to the terminals in the solenoid??? ...Is it time to order a new SCV solenoid???

Thanks.

-Dennis

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

The FSM says to check for vacuum when 12v is applied to the SCV solenoid (EC-499). Did you do this step? If there is vacuum present when you do this step, the next step is to reconnect the vacuum hose and see if the actuator rod moves with 12v applied - if it doesn't, replace the swirl control valve and actuator. PM me with your VIN if you want the exact part number if you end up needing to replace the valve and you want a new OEM part.

dk203040

Towncivilian wrote:The FSM says to check for vacuum when 12v is applied to the SCV solenoid (EC-499). Did you do this step? If there is vacuum present when you do this step, the next step is to reconnect the vacuum hose and see if the actuator rod moves with 12v applied - if it doesn't, replace the swirl control valve and actuator. PM me with your VIN if you want the exact part number if you end up needing to replace the valve and you want a new OEM part.
Didn't check for vacuum when the 12v was applied, however there was NO MOVEMENT in the actuator linkage, nor did I hear any click sound from the svc solenoid when I applied 12v. BTW: the actuator linkage is clean and does move easily when pushed with a screwdriver.

Thanks for the offer to look up the exact part number for me. I was able to find the part number and I did order the solenoid online-phone from a dealer. The parts guy also verified my part number against my VIN number.

I do hope that only the solenoid is bad. I believe I possibly shorted it out when I degreased my engine, compartment after successfully fixing the Oil Cooler O-Ring leak. The engine looks good. Nice to work on a clean engine compartment. :)

. . .Again, shouldn't the solenoid click with 12v if it is normal??? (does anyone know the answer to this question???)

The reason I didn't do the vacuum test is two-fold. . .
1) I don't know which of the three vaccum lines that attach to the solenoid to remove for the test.
2) I'm thinking that if the actuator linkage didn't move with the 12v directly applied, then I would be able to assume that the solenoid is dead for sure. (Is my thought process wong about this?)

Thanks.

-Dennis

cmlcsu

My '02 qx4 has been overheating. I flushed the coolant system and replaced the thermostat and that did not seem to help the situation. I just got a p1130 code. I need to check the hoses for a clog from this post but could a bad swirl valve or vacume tub clog be causing my car to overheat?

A little more info- after the flush (the block drain plugs are a pain) and the thermostat I took the car for a drive in the mountains. My temp began to go up after driving for about 30 min. When I was going up hill the temp went up, I could keep car from overheating with the heater control. then when going down hill the temp went back down quickly.

cmlcsu

for my P1130 code on my QX4 i was able to blow the vacuum tubes out and remove the white flakes, then I took the SCV out. I blew a light amount of air through the SCV and sprayed the electrical connections with a small shot of electrical contact cleaner. I let the connections dry and then put everything back together. It has been about a week and 400 miles with no SES light or other issues.

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

Find a local shop to do the pressing. $20 got two arms pressed out and pressed in. Give them cash.

Or a couple of six-packs. On my 240-Z I got a a couple of bushings pressed for a couple of six-packs.

Chuck

schoboat
Car: 2002 Pathfinder and 2005 G35 ^MT

Towncivilian wrote:If you provide your VIN, I can look up the exact part number for you.
I know this is an old thread but closest to what I was looking for. Towncivilian, I have scoured the Internet using my best investigative skills and can't find a part number for the actual VIAS Swirl actuator (not the solenoid but the actual pneumatic diaphragm actuator).

I have the intake plenum off to replace the injectors (I believe I have a dead one), and while I have all of that off, I sure would like to replace that actuator that is buried under all of that.

It took me all of tonight just to find the part number for the Power Valve Actuator for a 2002 Pathfinder. I found the part number of 14517-4W000 on the Infiniti QX4 parts list, but could not find anything for the VIAS swirl actuator.

My VIN is JN8DR09X32W653255. Thank you in advance for the assist!!!

atraudes
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4 4WD

Welcome to Nico!

Towncivilian isn't around these days, unfortunately. I'm a bit confused; you said you're looking for the diaphragm, but 14517-4W000 looks like the diaphragm. Can you clarify?

You can also take a look at this link to see if anything rings a bell:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/pathfinder ... _4734.html

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”