Draining battery

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
GRed

Confused and need help, my daughters 04 infinity G35 v6 she was telling me the battery keeps dying on her. She had help searching internet and a possible cause but I need your help to determine if it is. From what she has told me it's some type of circuit board that's linked to her radio,heater,a/c and probably other things... Now here's whats happens when She turns off the car from my understanding all the accessories that's are linked stay on thus draining the battery overt time. Is this an issue on the car ??? Or other possible causes.

GRed

Here's what One guy found as I searched through the forum
It's the second new battery. A quick search found many with this problem. Apparently there is a tsb on battery drains for the G35/G37. The tsb is a bcm fix and a purge valve replace and also a reflash. It said the valve can drain the battery slowly.
Thanks for the advice. I may take it to infiniti, not sure.

Here's his update

Re: battery drain
by superuber » 12 Jul 2013 04:45

Just wanted to update to let folks know what I found. Like I said I knew the battery was good. According to the tsb the purge valve can hang up and drain the battery. All I did was get the battery to full, disconnect the purge valve connector and checked it. No drain. I replaced the purge valve $50 or so, let the car sit for a week. Battery was full charge after sitting for a week. So the purge was my issue. Pretty easy fix. I'm very happy because others have had nightmares with battery drains. Plus my G sits alot and it's a real pain to come out to a bone dead battery after 4 days! Maybe this will help someone.

Does anyone know what a bcm is?

GRed

Ok after researching more I found it's the radio cd deck double decker with a circuit board in between that's causing this issue....now my daughter states that the heater and a/c are some way connected to this...board..but I find that hard to believe.. Also the guy that did a lot of foot work about this bug didn't indicate it was connected to it...I will post it posts

GRed

Here's his post

Road Ruler wrote:

Things got so bad for me that the low battery voltage caused my main computer to need reprogramming - at a cost of 180 dollars.

The radio, the install kit and the installation cost me about 700 dollars.Toss in the 180 dollars for the reprogramming and the cost of a couple of batteries and this whole mess cost me 1000 dollars.

BTW...the Bose radio in 2003 G35's comes from Clarion. "
Although I do not know you personally I feel that the majority of people with the ability to trace down this type of concern including a current draw test should be able to install a new head unit.

I have seen some real half wits get away with replacing radios in early Gs if you get the right stuff for the car you should not have much of a problem in the long run.

Update:

As I said before Oakvil** Infiniti was not much help. All they could do was offer to install a brand new radio for me. I explained to them there was a place in Florida that could repair the radio logic bd for me at a cost of a few hundred dollars, a fraction of the cost of replacing the radio. I asked them if there was a place locally that could do this? They said there was nothing.

I made some more inquiries. Clarion's main office and service center was an 8 minute drive from the Qakvil** Infiniti dealer. I thought I would drop by Clarion and pick their brains about the issue.

Bingo!... They said they were well aware of the problems and would be happy to sell me a service manual for the radio assembly or for $225. they would install an upgrade kit to the assembly that addresses the issues. Nice! Friendly folks with multiple options and solutions at a reasonable price.

Now we are getting somewhere!

For now I have the manual in hand and will update the progress as we proceed.

Once again Infiniti was no help and without a doubt knew all about the Clarion offerings.

I took the radio assembly out last week.

I forgot to take the CD's out of the deck so took the unit back to the car and plugged the three connectors back into the back of the unit to see if I could get the CD's out.

... As soon as I inserted the last connector the radio/CD unit comes alive and out pops a CD????

There is no key in the ignition and the car is off! Interesting to say the least and the first clue to locating the bug.

As you know I could not figure out how to separate the top and bottom units which would allow access to the board in question.

I then handed the unit over to my pal would wanted to have a stab at it.

He called a couple days later. He figured out how to get at the board and was doing a full PD on the board. He discovered something interesting. He had me take some voltage measurements at the car here (he is in another city an hour away).

Well what do you know..... Looks like he may have found the bug, the cause of the parasite drain.

Will update again once we verify.

Just a quick update folks.

The bug appears to be a manufacturing error on the board. My pal made a change to the board. I got the unit back from my pal and installed it last week.

I did some amp checks and confirmed the battery drain problem is gone

The reading between the -post and ground was about .55 (with the battery drain issue), and is now sitting at .07 With the radio fuse out it was/is .05 so a huge improvement.

The only issue I have now is I have lost one feature. If the radio is on when I turn the car off, it is off when I turn the car back on. I then have to physically hit the radio on button to turn the radio back on. May be a memory support voltage or line issue.

Will do some further checks to see if this issue can be corrected. I may have put this bug on the vehicle when taking it apart and reassembling.

Will let you know what I find out. Need to wait for a warmer day as the car is outside and this is Canada...lol

GRed

Now my question is how to take it out ?? Anyone have instructions on how.

Gilley

You have to disassemble a lot of pieces to remove the radio.

An easy way to determine if it is really the radio killing the battery is to simply pull the fuse labeled "radio" after turning off the car. If the battery does not die, then it's the radio causing the problem. If the battery does, it's something else.

And your daughter is correct,the AC controller is part of the radio. They share a big circuit board.

GRed

Thanks a lot and if it is the radio what is the fix for it

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

GRed wrote:Thanks a lot and if it is the radio what is the fix for it
Buy her a new car :)

Telcoman

GRed

well,, that might end up being the case but it will not be an infinity hahaha

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Infinity are speakers

Infiniti is what I drive :)

Gilley

GRed wrote:Thanks a lot and if it is the radio what is the fix for it
Get the radio repaired or replace it with a double din radio and AC controller. It's cheaper than buying a new car.

telcoman

But not as exciting :chuckle:

larsG35
Car: '04 G35 6MT sedan

There are some videos on youtube about the radio/ac unit. If it is the issue, it will be a decent amount of work to fix, but not impossible.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”