Drain and Fill for Trans???

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Zagginzeed87t
Car: 02 Nissan Maxima

I have a 02 Max automatic. Wanted to know if this is a drain and fill without the gasket/filter change, and if so do you fill it from where the dipstick is and how many quarts of trans fluid? Thanks

If someone has a quick write up...please post..and again Thanks

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

How much fluid to use will vary, since you'll never get all the fluid out (some remains in lines and multiple quarts will remain in the torque converter). But you've got the right idea. The best method is to measure what you drain. Then, when you go to refill, only add as much as you drained. From there, check the dipstick to verify you've added the right amount. Total capacity is 9 quarts but that's meaningless since you'll leave a variable amount in the system. You'll probably end up draining around 6 quarts at most, I'd guess. You will definitely NOT need to add a full 9 quarts to the system.

There is a drain plug for the Maxima transmission, so you can drain without dropping the pan (which means no need to change a gasket) but depending on milage since the last filter change it may be worth dropping the pan anyway to change the filter.

Good info for properly checking the trans fluid level can be found on page 21 here.

A lot of members like to do repeated changes to try and get as much old fluid out as possible (since some always gets left undrained). Usually 2 or 3 successive drain-and-fills should get things pretty wells exchanged...but it requires a lot more fluid.

Zagginzeed87t

Hey Thanks alot for the quick reply.....I'm on it

Nelsito65
Car: 2K Maxima GLE AT

A note regarding the transmission oil screen (not really a filter); The screen is held in place by a few bolts and one nut that is threaded on a bolt(?) that is in the opposite direction as the rest. A few forum memebers, including myself, have reported having trouble removing that one nut and opted for just leaving the screen alone.You might want to check the thread below for some reference:http://forums.maxima.org/5th-g....html

junkiefp
Car: 03 GLE

I recently did a drain and fill procedure on my max at 60000 mile mark. I used Amsoil and drained and filled 3 times in a period of 3 days. I was really easy. even easier then changing engine oil because you dont have to change the filter. At first the car was jerky when switching gears but in a month or two it went back to normal. Now the transmission is more responsive and much smoother. Hope everything goes well with your trans

Markc
Car: 2008 m35x
2005 infiniti G35

I just did mine 2 1/2 weeks ago. I dropped the pan and cleaned it and the magnets. I would suggest this, (it's really not that difficult). That way you'll have a good indication of the condition of your tranny and you can inspect the screen. Mine was clean, so I left well enough alone. Grey powdery muck stuck to the magnets = normal wear/ break in. Stalagmites of metal shavings stuck to the magnets means OH NO!

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

Dropped the tranny pan 2 wks ago. All of the pan bolts holding the panare the same size on the 95 maxima. There are different lengths of boltsholding on the screen. Recommend drawing a templete of the screenbefore removing the bolts so you can put the correct size back in thecorrect hole. I didnt use any gasket sealant and there are no leaks.

Mine had not been shifting cleanly at 50 MPH to the next higher gear.After changing, it did not seem to help but after 2-3 weeks I noticedit was shifting better. The bottom of the pan had some kind of blackgoo (looked like black hair conditioner) and would not have come outwith only a fluid change. Had shavings on the magnets but it was awhile since the pan was dropped. Cost of the gasket at the dealer was $18. Because the screen was still in good condition I reused it ($30).Cost of the fluid at Wal Mart was $10 for 4 qts. I sure would like to changethe springs in the valve body but I dont have the guts.

Markc
Car: 2008 m35x
2005 infiniti G35

Good advice on the screen bolts, (and 1 nut - what's that all about anyway?)I was very happy to see only some grey powder stuck to my magnets and no shavings what so ever. There are 21 bolts holding the pan on and they have a single use thread sealant on them. I opted for new ones @ just over a buck a piece. I'm sure applying new thread sealant to the existing bolts would suffice.I refilled the amount drained and started engine. Repeatedly shifted through all gears for about 1 min. 45 sec. Shut it down, drained and refilled again. I figured most of the new fluid had been pumped to the torque converter in this procedure. Obviously some old & some new would be mixed. Sure enough the drained fluid was a little darker than the new. I drove it for a week and performed a drain & refill again. I went through 13 liters of fluid, but feel that I have about 80% new fluid in there.

Zagginzeed87t

Again...to EVERYONE that replied to this post....Thanks Alot!!!! Very good advice!!!

Malibu Jim
Car: 2004 Infiniti I35

I have seen various posts in regards to the transmission screen on I35's. In fact, several years ago I ordered one with the intenion of replacing it, only to find I couldn't get the old one off. I am sure, others have done this too. Now I have run across this:

http://www.drivewire.com/vehic...ilter/

Nice that someone out there is helpful.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”