Door handle fell off, what the ???

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
captndon777
Car: 2007 Versa

versa_dan wrote:You need a Torx head screwdriver T25. Open the door and on the side of the door is a small black grommet, remove grommet, inside is the torx screw you need to loosen for the lock mechanism to move. you dont need to remove the screw just loosen enough to move the lock assembly around. Once loose enough, install the door handle and tighten lock assembly back and put grommet back.

Here is a picture if you need a bit of visual clues.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1218 ... dlefix.jpg

I did that and it kept falling off until I did the permanent fix.

captndon777
Car: 2007 Versa

pingflood wrote:No joke, the door handle came right off the driver's side door today when I went to open it. 2007 Versa SL hatchback, 48k miles, not abused in any way.

Looks like the pin that holds the front part of the door handle snapped off somehow and the entire thing just came loose in my hand.

Anybody else have this happen?
It happen to me to I took it apart and found that there is no pin,so I drilled and put a pin in it and now its fixed for good.
Don.

chrisrayn
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

Just for the record, I used Captndon777's fix, with the EXCELLENT step by step instructions. I know next to nothing about cars, but I fixed it. Saved untold number of dollars. Of course, my lack of expertise and skill with drilling plastic made my fix a Little imperfect, but it still works fine, and the door handle no longer comes off, which was the main point.

A little extra help though:

NEEDED TOOLS FOR CAPTNDON777 PERMANENT FIX (in order of use):

Flat-head screwdriver (for prying snap-on pieces)
Towel/rag (use with flat-head to reduce scratching on pieces being pried)
Large-head Phillips-head screwdriver (two bolts)
T25 TORX screwdriver ($2.15 at my local hardware store)
Electric drill with 1/8 inch drill bit (borrow if you don't own...can be pricey for a one-time fix)
1/8 inch cotter pin (10 cents at my local hardware store)
Flashlight (optional...I used it to check the accuracy of my plastic drilling hole, which would have been much worse without the flashlight)

Altogether, with my lack of knowledge, I'd say this took me about an hour and a half to two hours to fix, but only because I didn't really know what I was doing (never pulled off a door panel before), and I had to constantly get up and grab tools I'd forgotten, or set a towel down for my knees, or get a drink of water, etc.

THANKS CAPTNDON!!!

Corpsman
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa Model S 4 Dr Sdn.

I have a 2007 Nissan Versa Model S 4 Dr Sdn. The small plastic part covering the door lock cylinder on the drivers side, outside, which sits to the back of the door handle broke off.

I have the new part, but cannot figure out how to get the new gasket on since it is partially covered by the door handle. Somewhat the same thing, I pulled on the door handle and the small part covering the door lock cylinder broke off.

I tried to figure out how to get the longer outside door handle off so I could get the gasket for the door lock cylinder on since it extends behind the door handle. Do I have to take the panel off the inside to do this? If so, I need help with that.

Sammieoh
Car: 2007 Nissan versa

Same exact thing happened to my driver side door about 6 months ago!!! Plus, all of my hubcaps popped off , rear view mirror came off, breaks screech, and, and my antanna flew off!!! All about month after buying it BRAND NEW! WTF

Athikerguy4life
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa

Sammieoh wrote:Same exact thing happened to my driver side door about 6 months ago!!! Plus, all of my hubcaps popped off , rear view mirror came off, breaks screech, and, and my antanna flew off!!! All about month after buying it BRAND NEW! WTF
Lemon?

jonny25
Car: Versa
Titan

Thank you captndon777! Followed your steps for the door handle on my wife's Versa. Very easy, thanks to you. Best part ...my wife thinks I'm Superman now.

IcecreamLtDan
Car: 2010 Versa S

Hi folks, just had this happen to the drivers door on our Versa. Where is everyone getting the piece from, the Nissan dealer? Or is there another source? I'll definitely be giving captndom777's procedure a try. We haven't had any problems with our car other than this, so far. Knock on wood right?

browntown3
Car: ???? Nissan Versa sedan

Going to be doing this process over the weekend, Drivers side pulled completely out in my hand last night. (*%&$# Thanks for the information and write up!

anmcguirenvh
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback

I have a 2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback. My exterior, driver's side door handle also came off in my hand! This doesn't happen; even to really old cars.
I am reading that this happens lots to Versas and I'm not happy about that.
Will Nissan cover this? My car has 92K and I believe, is out of warranty. They should cover it. Especially because it seems to be common!
Argh!!!!
:wtf2:

polygonfla
Car: Versa

Just adding to the general dissatisfaction with the door handles. The Versa is my primary vehicle. (2nd car is a Lexus) I generally like the car and I have put 80k miles on it since buying it new in 2009. In the first year of ownership the driver side door handle popped out in my hand, at the dealership after an oil change. The dealer fixed it under warranty the following week. They ordered a whole new assembly, although I don't know why. When a simple cotter pin would have fixed it permanently.

It is now 4 years later and it is coming off again. I will be attempting the permanganate fix next weekend. I feel e recall is definitely called for here. The only other complaint I have had is all the hub caps falling off over the last year. I bought cheap copies on Amazon and for $40 for a set of 4 they are better quality and I have no worries about the cheap plastic clips Nissan used breaking and loosing $50 per hubcap.

I had hoped to keep this car for ten years or more but I am beginning to think that in a year or so I will be trading it in now. :confused:

VeisaVersa
Car: 2007 Versa Hatch

I can't tell you how relieved I am to have found Don's instructions for the driver doorhandle! Made my day! Huge thank you to Don. First the key cover piece fell off my 2007 hatchback 4 weeks ago. Just purchased the plastic-to-metal glue to try reattaching since the plastic hooks broke off and then yesterday the door handle came off in my hand. How embarassing to be without it. I don't have the know how or tools to fix it but I will find someone who can.

Yes, my Versa suffers from disappearing wheel covers too. What a pain. I see VWWC (Versa's without wheel covers) on local highways all the time.

About the older post about the tire pressure light staying on... Happened to me 2 years ago. I daily park my car with the front end on a slight downgrade. The tire pressure light came on; I fixed the problem; the light stayed on. It stayed on until I happened to park my car for 36 hours on the opposite slope -- the front end on an upgrade. Viola!

frankytuesday

Yea...my handle also just fell off. I have a similar experience to many others here. My first brand new car and lots of body failures. Never again will I buy a new car. :(

mbrown14
Car: Nissan Versa, 2009

I am attempting the permanent fix suggested by captn777 earlier (I know this is an old thread, but I'm at a loss). When going through the steps - I ran into a problem.

Near the end, when reassembling the door, there's this step:

(13) Line up the door lock that you pulled back to the outside of the door so that the Torx head screw, screws back into place at site.

I cannot get the screw to go back into the door lock mechanism. I loosened it the way that was suggested and have put it back to where the lock is outside of the door and to the far right. I've even lined it up to where I swear the screw it right where it should be, but it just turns and turns without securing or engaging? I'm wondering if the lock mechanism part has been stripped somehow? I'm just not sure how I would've done that and when I look with a flashlight it does appear that the first part might be, but the further back isn't - so I'm uncertain what is wrong. Has anyone else run into this problem? I've looked into the cost of replacing that part and it's near $100 because I have to replace the entire lock and keyless system since that all seems to be together.

Advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm not mechanically savvy, I just knew I could follow the step-by-step I found here.

clem238

My small piece fell off, then the handle. I'm so mad. This car has been nothing but trouble since I bought it.

Does anyone know if I need to buy another handle or can I use the one that popped off? I know there are fixes on here, but did you buy another handle first.

The steering wheel pops all the time. They replaced something, now it does it again, and they said they can't figure out why (the dealer mind you). I need another car since my daughter drives this POS, but can't afford it.

:cry:

sladkomn
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa SL

The text and pix provided by captndon777 are invaluable: thanks so much! With their aid I was able to repair my 2009 Nissan Versa, the front door driver's side handle of which kept pulling off. It took me a good while to do the repair (most of the time telling myself to calm down and not break anything). About the most difficult part was lining up the handle and lock mechanism in order to drill through the holes already in the handle. There's no easy way of lining these objects up, as the handle fits inside the lock and the handle holes are then invisible; measurements were hard to take. In the end, I drilled two exploratory holes before I got a pretty straight one all the way through. (I should add that I took the lock mechanism completely out of the door and so had to reattach the rod and electric cable. But this removal helped me drill as straight as I finally did.)

eric_diyfix
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa Hatc. SL CVT

Had the same thing happened on our Versa 2009.
Followed captndon777 instructions. Thank you very much.
Had a hard putting it back but in the end it worked.

I measured the location of the 1/8" hole to drill.

I`m sharing it here. Hopefully the image will come through fine.
It`s a handsketch from the part 13 in captndon777 instructions. You will recognize the parts when you do the fix.

http://www.picatom.com/2b/Photo%202014- ... 032-1.html

sladkomn
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa SL

Eric,

Thanks a lot for these precise measurements. Now that I'm in the business of fixing people's Versa door handles (yes, people have heard of my repair and are clamoring for help), it sure does help things to have these measurements.

So you suggest 0.675" up from the bottom right of the big end, and 0.585" in from the right side, is that correct?

nissanversa08
Car: Versa 08 SL HB

I performed this fix on my driver's side handle it worked like a charm. I only wish I had gone to the second page and seen the measurements showing exactly where to drill. I ended up eye-balling it and thought I had screwed up the location at first.

The only issue I'm having now is getting the torx screw to secure back into the lock. For some reason it refuses to go in and neither the screw nor the part it screws into looks stripped. Any ideas? :gotme I'd like to get the screw back in before I epoxy the lock-hole cover back on.

ynthe
Car: 2010 Nissan Versa

Thanks captndon777.

Your post was a great help! I just finished fixing my door handle.

docmel
Car: 2007, Versa, 4 door hatchback

Seeing how this seems to be common issue, I thought I would tackle it head on since my handle (drivers side front) came off about a week ago. After just one day of having to open the passenger side door, then crawl thru to open the drivers door, I had about enough.

First I have to disagree somewhat with the long post with pics on how to fix the problem. Don't get me wrong, the person that did the fix post spent allot of time on helping us all out, and was good enough to post pics. So I'm not here to say the post is somewhat wrong, but to post a similar and much easier way to fix the prob. I used the persons post to get halfway there to my final solution, so I am grateful for the post, and w/o it, I would've run into issues

First, be SURE YOUR DOORS ARE UNLOCKED. Unless you have spare set of keys: I DON'T. I would roll down all but the drivers window just in case. The drivers window must be all the way up

Second: Take your time. The below works, but don't force ANYTHING. period. If you find yourself forcing something you are doing it wrong.

1. Understand how the handle works: First, I am sure when it "broke" off, you prob looked at the handle closely and saw a small pin hole in the front portion of the handle which looks like some sort of pivot pin had once been in it as a fulcrum point. I took the whole door handle interior assembly out (you DON'T have to to fix the prob), but I did it just to see how the handle works.

Foremost, understand that there is NO PIN that has broke, no snaps that went into the holes, PERIOD. (No I don't know why the hole is there)

If you take your old handle and just slide the front part of the handle back in its hole and gently finesse back in, you will feel how the handle will go back into its front cradle inside the door. Yes, its a somewhat loose fit. But then you will see that the rear part of the handle wont go back into place. That's because 2 things are in the way:

a: The interior door latch, which looks like small silver gray "tit" pointing downwards, is spring loaded and in the down position. There is not enough room to pry it up so you can slide the rear part of the handle back into place. The spring loaded tit lays in a small "box" formed by two small plastic walls on the top, rear part of your door handle. Look at your door handle from the top and you will see what I mean.
This tit, when seated in the box of the door handle, is what opens your door from the outside. You pull the rear of the door handle, and it pulls outward and lifts this tit about 45 degrees

What has happened is that one of the plastic walls of the "box" that holds the "tit" is worn. When you pulled the door handle out, the tit came over the worn top of the wall and then the whole rear part of the handle came out and the front part of the handle that just lays in cradle pulled out with it. Once you see this, you will now see how the door handle actually works, as well as how this part gets worn. A good hard pull is enough to get the handle to pop off, even with very little wear present

So nothing broke, you just have a worn handle. And the "cotter pin" fix will not fix the issue. The front part of the handle, the "pivot" point, is not the cause. The rear of the handle is

b. The door lock may also be in the way of getting your new handle in. But maybe your door lock cover popped off. No prob, Ill get to that later

First, you need a new handle. Go to the net and order one. Be sure you get the front drivers side. I searched and ordered one for $15.00 US, but of course USPS shipping was like another $12.00. It came in black, with a new lock cover. I have blue versa, but at this point I could care less if the handle was pink

Installation:

First, before you take anything apart, Try this:

Just slide the front part of the new handle in the door at a slight outward angle. It will fell a little funny, very sloppy, like it wants to keep falling out of place. But that's ok. Remember, the front part just slides in and lays in a cradle: No pin, no snaps, and you want a loose feel so you can wiggle the rear part of the handle in place.

Now attempt the get the rear part on the handle in. Do this by SLIGHTLY pulling the handle to the rear (yes, it will feel like the front part of the handle might not be seated, but no worries)

Now gently push the rear of the handle inwards, while pushing it forward at the same time. (maybe wiggle just a little up and down as well). You will eventually feel the rear part of the handle pop in, and there you are.

What you are doing here is going AROUND and to the slight rear of the little spring loaded tit, not going directly under it

Keep in mind that the front part of the handle must slide into its cradle as well, so work slowly while keeping an eye on both (even though you cant really see whats going on). Go by feel

BUT, maybe, the front of the door lock cylinder is in the way of getting the rear part of the handle in. If that's the case, loosen it from the door jamb, like in the previous post, and that will def give you the room you need

NOTE: IF, and only if you must remove the inner door panel, follow the previous post, but know that you cant help but to break maybe two or three of the 6 or so white inner clips that secures the door panel to the inner steel part of the door. You can get new ones that will work from O'Reillys, part number 454640BP made for Ford. They don't look exactly like the OEM ones, but will work. Or you can go to the dealer and get them for almost $3 a piece
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed May 06, 2015 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted duplicate post.

docmel
Car: 2007, Versa, 4 door hatchback

For those who loosened the door lock screw all the way out after removing the black plug: It ONLY takes few turns to loosen it. If it screwed all the way out its ok, the screw wont fall, its held in place with a tang. Be aware, some of you in order to do my fix will have to take the screw all the way loose anyhow so you can move the door lock around for more room

To get it to line back up for reassembly, take a small phillips head screwdriver and use it instead of the torx to get it started. This will allow you to view the threaded portion of the door lock, your target, thru the plug hole, and you can move the the torx head a little while screwing it in. Once you get it started, go back to the torx head tool and snug it down (Ask me how I know this fix!)

ljsessi
Car: Nissan Versa Hatchback

I can't believe how many posts there are on this subject! My door Handle just fell off while I was trying to get into my car What the ??? is right!!!
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to try to repair this myself . What a piece of garbage this is!

mbee1
Car: nissan versa 2010

Tried the approach of using the pin. After a lot of swearing got the thing figured out and it went back together and it works. The handle does not have anything except the lug that the handle pulls up to hold it in position. To keep from sliding back the front of the lock is fashioned as a stop for that lug. Pretty poor design. Drill the hole in the plastic holder for the door handle and put the pin in from the top, you do not even need to bend it as it cannot fall out.

cnikirk

docmel wrote:Seeing how this seems to be common issue, I thought I would tackle it head on since my handle (drivers side front) came off about a week ago. After just one day of having to open the passenger side door, then crawl thru to open the drivers door, I had about enough.

First I have to disagree somewhat with the long post with pics on how to fix the problem. Don't get me wrong, the person that did the fix post spent allot of time on helping us all out, and was good enough to post pics. So I'm not here to say the post is somewhat wrong, but to post a similar and much easier way to fix the prob. I used the persons post to get halfway there to my final solution, so I am grateful for the post, and w/o it, I would've run into issues

First, be SURE YOUR DOORS ARE UNLOCKED. Unless you have spare set of keys: I DON'T. I would roll down all but the drivers window just in case. The drivers window must be all the way up

Second: Take your time. The below works, but don't force ANYTHING. period. If you find yourself forcing something you are doing it wrong.

1. Understand how the handle works: First, I am sure when it "broke" off, you prob looked at the handle closely and saw a small pin hole in the front portion of the handle which looks like some sort of pivot pin had once been in it as a fulcrum point. I took the whole door handle interior assembly out (you DON'T have to to fix the prob), but I did it just to see how the handle works.

Foremost, understand that there is NO PIN that has broke, no snaps that went into the holes, PERIOD. (No I don't know why the hole is there)

If you take your old handle and just slide the front part of the handle back in its hole and gently finesse back in, you will feel how the handle will go back into its front cradle inside the door. Yes, its a somewhat loose fit. But then you will see that the rear part of the handle wont go back into place. That's because 2 things are in the way:

a: The interior door latch, which looks like small silver gray "tit" pointing downwards, is spring loaded and in the down position. There is not enough room to pry it up so you can slide the rear part of the handle back into place. The spring loaded tit lays in a small "box" formed by two small plastic walls on the top, rear part of your door handle. Look at your door handle from the top and you will see what I mean.
This tit, when seated in the box of the door handle, is what opens your door from the outside. You pull the rear of the door handle, and it pulls outward and lifts this tit about 45 degrees

What has happened is that one of the plastic walls of the "box" that holds the "tit" is worn. When you pulled the door handle out, the tit came over the worn top of the wall and then the whole rear part of the handle came out and the front part of the handle that just lays in cradle pulled out with it. Once you see this, you will now see how the door handle actually works, as well as how this part gets worn. A good hard pull is enough to get the handle to pop off, even with very little wear present

So nothing broke, you just have a worn handle. And the "cotter pin" fix will not fix the issue. The front part of the handle, the "pivot" point, is not the cause. The rear of the handle is

b. The door lock may also be in the way of getting your new handle in. But maybe your door lock cover popped off. No prob, Ill get to that later

First, you need a new handle. Go to the net and order one. Be sure you get the front drivers side. I searched and ordered one for $15.00 US, but of course USPS shipping was like another $12.00. It came in black, with a new lock cover. I have blue versa, but at this point I could care less if the handle was pink

Installation:

First, before you take anything apart, Try this:

Just slide the front part of the new handle in the door at a slight outward angle. It will fell a little funny, very sloppy, like it wants to keep falling out of place. But that's ok. Remember, the front part just slides in and lays in a cradle: No pin, no snaps, and you want a loose feel so you can wiggle the rear part of the handle in place.

Now attempt the get the rear part on the handle in. Do this by SLIGHTLY pulling the handle to the rear (yes, it will feel like the front part of the handle might not be seated, but no worries)

Now gently push the rear of the handle inwards, while pushing it forward at the same time. (maybe wiggle just a little up and down as well). You will eventually feel the rear part of the handle pop in, and there you are.

What you are doing here is going AROUND and to the slight rear of the little spring loaded tit, not going directly under it

Keep in mind that the front part of the handle must slide into its cradle as well, so work slowly while keeping an eye on both (even though you cant really see whats going on). Go by feel

BUT, maybe, the front of the door lock cylinder is in the way of getting the rear part of the handle in. If that's the case, loosen it from the door jamb, like in the previous post, and that will def give you the room you need

NOTE: IF, and only if you must remove the inner door panel, follow the previous post, but know that you cant help but to break maybe two or three of the 6 or so white inner clips that secures the door panel to the inner steel part of the door. You can get new ones that will work from O'Reillys, part number 454640BP made for Ford. They don't look exactly like the OEM ones, but will work. Or you can go to the dealer and get them for almost $3 a piece
Hi,

The rear piece of the handle fell off on my versa and now the main handle is loose but still attached. Is the process the same to repair it? I guess I need to fully remove the main handle, then put a new handle on, then the key lock piece last, or can I just replace the rear keylock piece and go on my way? Thanks.

booyah68
Car: 2009 Versa SL Hatchback

First let me say thanks for the posts pics and effort involved on this issue!!! :mike :mike :mike
After following the instructions, it then took me three hours to figure out this.... The T25 bolt on the inside of door was stripped and had barely been hanging on to begin with. My first suggestion before you take the time to rip it all apart is to remove the sticker covering the hole and see if still screwed in. If it isn't, get the handle "jimmied" back in til it clicks and tighten the screw! If you cannot and the keylock itself is real loose, get a new screw before you start drilling. I went to the local Sears and it was $.60. It's an m-6 and I'm pretty sure .5" long (make sure it's a screw and not bolt as the socket won't fit to tighten with - I used a Philips screw). It's only held in place by the plastic clip. Easy enough to wiggle out. Once I tightened that up, its working like a dream. As another note to this, I used Gorilla Glue to re-attach the lock cover (if I ever need to change, I'm likely screwed). :facepalm:

Good luck all!!! I hope this saves at least one person the many hours I spent on this project.

:dblthumb:

nissanversa08
Car: Versa 08 SL HB

As I mentioned earlier I made the change in this thread but for some reason I could not get the screw which holds in the locking mechanism to thread in. I took the idea from the thread above and was able to purchase an aftermarket screw that worked perfectly despite being slightly longer. Below is an image of the exact screw I used with a comparison to the original (the original looks fine to me, I don't know why it wasn't going in). Although they had a torx head available I opted to go with phillips head since I am more likely to have a phillips screw driver lying around. It was a little difficult to get in because I didn't have a magnetic screw driver, but once I got it started there were no issues. Cost was less than a dollar at Lowe's for a 2-pack (no singles available). I used a M6-1.00 x 16mm in case the picture isn't showing for you all.

drummerboi91
Car: 2010 Nissan Versa

I was having the same issue today before I finally got the screw to thread...I even had a magnetic screwdriver :mad:
Anyhow, I changed the steps around slightly by tightening a Lil on the torx screw first after positioning it back into place after I had already drilled out my 1/8 inch hole. That helped to keep the lock assembly stable. After that I just to jiggle the handle a little to have it sit properly back into position before inserting the cotter pin. I struggled with that lock for way too long before finally tightening up that torx screw, it helped a ton with my door handle going back on :mike

Trusso11783
Car: 2007 Versa Sedan

I thought I was the only one this happened to. A Month ago, the black plastic that surrounds the key lock broke off. I couldn't figure out how to put it back on so I decided s to to live with it. Then, last week, the handle pulled off right into my hand. I Have been opening the passenger door and pushing the driver side door open, and then putting a stick there to keep it from closing on me while I run to the other side. Completely ridiculous.

I will try some of the fixes on this page. I am not sure if I need to buy a new handle or use the one that fell off. No more Nissans for me. Ever!

2009VersaHatch
Car: 2009 Versa S Hatchback

So some of the ears on the plastic cover over the lock cylinder on the driver's side door were broken. A body shop glued it back on but it eventually fell off down the road somewhere. I have learned to open the door by pulling out while pushing the handle sideways, towards the front of the car. It seems that that plastic piece is paramount to the door handle staying in place because if I were to just pull the door handle straight out like you would with any other door handle it comes right off (and then you have to make sure to have a Torx driver on hand). This is really annoying and I have no interest in buying a whole door handle assembly. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to find just the replacement lock cover or a solution to keep the handle from slipping sideways towards the back of the car and right off the car?

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”