Does anyone's CA18 powered car function??

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

Sorry folks, this is not going to be a tutorial on the CA18, but I would like a show of hands of folks' cars that are functioning correctly. The reason for me asking is the forum is starting to get cluttered with the "help" questions again and we need to either point you in the right direction or find you an SR or even boost your old KA or something. Most of the information in the stickies and the forum are more than enough, but it's when you take short cuts and rush the work just to hear it crank-up, it will near doom your set-up's functionality. Don't be skeered to speak-up ladies and germs (I mean gents).

beans33
Car: 1993 ca18det 240sx

hey Dee, mine runs pretty well. I went blow thru do to my open atmoshpere bov and it runs much better. Anyone else ?

DALAZ_68
Car: 90' 240sx CA18det

mine runs like a champ...just currently dealing with my clutch issue...

sjbsuperman1425
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx
CA18DET

i drive mine everyday. It burns and leaks some oil and gets 18mpg, but i love it. The VLSD makes it 10x more fun :D

ca18detgabby
Car: 92 s13 ca18det SOLD, 03 G35

it is always about 20 percent or less of the forum has running cars at any given time.......based on what Ive seen here.

20 percent who are trying their best to do it the right way, and it takes time for their mild to medium build to assemble.

the rest are either freshly destroyed or duct tape builds for the most part.

then there are the 1 perecent people like Memito and few select others like yourself Dee who always are semi working because you find another cool new mod to do and take apart your car again.

sjbsuperman1425
CA18DET

I usually do something to the car every winter. I just dropped $1k this past year..But my car has ran since day 1 of putting it in and it was/is clean as a MoFo! xD

croustibat
Car: 200sx S13 w/ ca18det

Mine came with a ca18det as standard, it was running well until i decided to make a major overhaul (oil pump, water pump, timing belt, clutch and flywheel, headgasket, injectors, FPR, turbo, full exhaust except manifold and electric fan change). As the overhaul is not finished, i cant tell :D it will need a new mapping too.

CakeEater
Car: '93 240SX w CA18, '08 Titan Pro-4X

Mine has ran like a champ for 3 years now without a single issue (knock on wood).

I don't know why or how so many people have issues with this engine? I guess like Dee said, when you get cheap and cut corners....

I'll use this CA until parts no longer exist and the world has turned Mad Max style. Mwuahahahaha

roast
Car: 1989 Silvia

Mine runs but the Silvia's a third car and I won't drive it daily.

I have a minor coolant leak and my tune is too rich. Once that's resolved it should see more KM's on the odo... right now it has 87k km or 54k mi! =D =D

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

Count me in for the "disappointment" section of this thread.

HOWEVER, I am 100% sure that if I assembled my motor right now and hooked it back up, it would run like a champ - despite its ailments. CA's are tough as nails.

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

Nice to see some of you guys care to come clean. I really want to help the ones that are not so fortunate, but if you guys don't want to take heed to the advice given by CA members including your moderators, then you should only be upset with yourself and not bad-mouth the CA18DET engine. My personal 240sx with CA runs just fine. It's contents include, but not limited to: (remember that this is only one of my cars)

1. CA18DET engine bored .020 over
2. New oil pump
3. New piston rings
4. New bearings
5. New seals
6. JUN camshafts
7. Heavy Duty 300zx TT valve springs (not stock)
8. 750cc injectors
9. Butterfly valve removal
10. Custom exhaust manifold
11. HKS 40mm wastegate
12. GT35R dual ball bearing (Chinese Spec :dblthumb:) with nearly 2500miles on the turbo and refreshened engine (what a turbo)
13. 13 lb. flywheel
14. Custom clutch house clutch
15. Custom 3inch intercooler piping
16. Greddy Type R BOV (simply the best IMHO)
17. Ebay intercooler
18. S13 Silvia conversion
19. Custom 3inch down pipe that feeds a very quiet HKS catback exhaust.
20. SDS (Simple Digital System) EM-3 standalone
21. MSD DIS-2 ignition system
22. MSD 8.5mm wires
23. Blitz dual SBC boost controller
24. Blitz turbo timer
25. Digital oil pressure gauge
26. Digital boost/vacuum gauge
27. Functioning air conditioner
28. Functioning power steering
29. Functioning 300zx complete brakes swap
30. Aluminum radiator
31. Aftermarket hoses
32. 255lph fuel pump
33. KYB AGX with Tein green springs (Very tamed, but fun ride with this set-up)
34. Rear strut tower brace
35. J30 diff with axles

The car's boost is set at 17psi daily and can be changed on the fly between ch.2= 21psi, ch.3= 25psi and ch.4= 31psi and all can be ran on the 93 pump fuel and this is no joke; just the way I tune. I know I don't post a lot of pics, let alone videos, but this season things will be different. My focus is simple folks: Reliable power.

cdkilla
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX (dd) 1990 240sx CA18DET. 2005 VW Jetta TDI (Wife's dd)

I too am on the disappointment list.

I got my swap from iLL garage, and upon start-up it self destructed. I kind of blame myself for just throwing the motor in and attempting to get it running right away. I guess it just gave me a good reason for a complete rebuild. So as of now my 240sx sits with the following:

Rebuilt bottom end(Rings, Bearings, ARP rod bolts and Gaskets.)

Remanufactured head from Alabama Cylinder Heads

Stock Turbo

OEM headgasket and headbolts

Walbro 255 Fuel Pump

Competition Clutch 6 Puck Unsprung Clutch

Custom Mid-mount intercooler Set-up

OBX helical LSD

Godspeed coilovers

Polyurethane Bushings Throughout the whole car

Seam welded engine bay

Mishimoto Radiator

Custom 3" exhaust w/Summit Racing Muffler

Now I'm waiting on an oil filter housing to start up and see how she runs, never got a chance to drive it with the CA before the motor self-destructed. I'm pretty excited.

blownhemi
Car: S13 200SX CA18DET HX35

Mine's not running, but it did, before we pulled it and tore it down for forging and rebuilding. But oh, boy... probably shouldn't even get started on it.
I don't know, though, how much us Europeans count in this, since ours in not a swap, so it's not like the engine is missing half of the parts when we get it, like some of you in the States. I'd think, at least, some of you get it like that.
boost_boy wrote: 12. GT35R dual ball bearing (Chinese Spec :dblthumb:) with nearly 2500miles on the turbo and refreshened engine (what a turbo)
Care to elaborate where you got a Chinese ball-bearing Garrett-clone? I'm really curious.
boost_boy wrote: The car's boost is set at 17psi daily and can be changed on the fly between ch.2= 21psi, ch.3= 25psi and ch.4= 31psi and all can be ran on the 93 pump fuel and this is no joke; just the way I tune. I know I don't post a lot of pics, let alone videos, but this season things will be different. My focus is simple folks: Reliable power.
Care to elaborate what AFR's you tuned to? I'm really curious.

ragenasian
Car: AE86 w/CA18DET

Mine is currently not running but it currently sits in an AE86 and still have to do the wiring and some other little things. Hopefully it won't implode when it fires up after all these years.

boost_boy

Actually had the turbocharger for about 2 years and I purchased it off an individual on ebay for around $430. I had the front housing modified with the anti-surge and bullet holes as well as having the rear housing (.63) ceramic coated. Someone had to take the plunge and test one of these questionable turbochargers and I felt I would be the best guinnea pig. I am happy to report that it is a "so far-so good" story and along with the compliments of the other goodies helps this turbo spool-up pretty quick for this size of a turbo. Oh yeah, no smoke out the exhaust except for a little puff of grey-black smoke under 20+psi of boost.

As for a AFRs, this tune was designed to keep AFRs at or around 14.1-13.7 off boost and drops from around 12.5 to 11.5 under boost. Hope this helps a bit.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Mine hadn't run in 2 years. Got it running, drove it home, fixed some stuff, and now it's apart again because I'm trying to fit this HKS turbo kit. I could start the car I suppose, it'd just be really loud (no turbo manifold bolted to the head) and there's no brakes right now either.

Does that mean I count for 1/2 of a running car?

boost_boy

float_6969 wrote:Does that mean I count for 1/2 of a running car?
Nope! Your car now qualifies a 72% running car :poke:.

sjbsuperman1425
CA18DET

[quote="float_6969"]now it's apart again because I'm trying to fit this HKS turbo kit.quote]

you best get that installed pronto! I gave u those ex. mani gaskets over a month ago lol

Cams
Car: 1993 Nissan 200sx CA18(DET) RS13
2002 Mitsubishi Airtrek JDM 4G63T (wife)
2013 Scion FR-S
2016 Infiniti QX50

Mine is running fine ready for some open specs circuit racing next weekend. Hoping for a safe return home after this.

Speedracer5767
Car: 95 240 SE-SR20DET-3"exhaust-HKS SSQV BOV-VLSD-FMIC-Greddy GRacer lip-4300K HID's-AEM UEGO WIDEBAND-AUTOMETER CF Boost gauge-Go Pro Hero Cam

I have currently just completed my CA swap into my 95 240. I had Yuri do the wiring. It was flawless until it came down to the MAF wiring. Power wire and signal wire swapped (Z32MAF) :slap: . It runs. Idles like crap. But it runs. Waiting on my Apexi SAFC NEO and AEM UEGO Wideband to arrive to start the tuning process. I am also looking to put P/S and A/C back on. Anybody got parts? :naughty:
ImageImage

ganma_ca
Car: 240sxxx
1CA +1SR = 3.8L

Well mine's running........ On 3 cylinders lol :lolling:
And 2 Z32 calipers lmao, that had to be filed to fit, file to fit calipers imagine that lol...
Ahhhh but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Even though I've ripped my hair out a few times, it's like a zombie, it just keeps coming back to life:) Soon when I get all the quirks worked out like after tracing the wiring to coil #1 to find out why it's not getting power lol, and getting a new turbo because my intercooler is slowly filling with oil, and figure out why I get brake fluid to my front 2 Z32 calipers, and not to my rear ones, I think my 240 will be in pretty decent shape, getting ready for a face lift soon(almost have everything in parts sitting around for a stupid complete silvia conversion minus the rhd) But everything from badges to grills k's bumper, B magic fenders, weds wheels, n all it's just waiting till the car runs right to be put on. So I guess you could say mine runs lol :mike

roast
Car: 1989 Silvia

roast wrote:Mine runs but the Silvia's a third car and I won't drive it daily.

I have a minor coolant leak and my tune is too rich. Once that's resolved it should see more KM's on the odo... right now it has 87k km or 54k mi! =D =D
Time to fight emissions!

I completely failed my first run...

beans33
Car: 1993 ca18det 240sx

hey speedracer that maf is too close to the turbo...by the way im in murfreesboro

boost_boy

Speedracer5767 wrote:I have currently just completed my CA swap into my 95 240. I had Yuri do the wiring. It was flawless until it came down to the MAF wiring. Power wire and signal wire swapped (Z32MAF) :slap: . It runs. Idles like crap. But it runs. Waiting on my Apexi SAFC NEO and AEM UEGO Wideband to arrive to start the tuning process. I am also looking to put P/S and A/C back on. Anybody got parts? :naughty:
ImageImage
Hey Man, as stated by beans33, your AFM is waaaay to close to the turbo and you are so asking for a s*** running car (guaranteed).

ser20det
Car: Silvia K's 88

boost_boy

Are u running on stock bottom end on your 240sx setup ?

davidricardo86
Car: 1992 Nissan 240SX SE

My ca18det powered s13 coupe has been running like a champion ever since i did the swap. After working out all the electrical wiring, headgasket and turbo issues, I've been able to use this car daily. It hasn't disappointed me at all. I have used this 240SX a lot and im glad i didn't skimp on the details. The engine is running well because i made sure it would but i've still got some things id like to perfect, my DIF controller being one of them.

Anyways, its been a fun and long road. I learned so much from this experience and it has help me advanced in my passion for the auto industry. I've been enjoying my car a lot more now that the weather has warmed up in Chicago. The setup is satisfying so i haven't felt the need to upgrade anything yet. After loosing my job back in December, i pretty much decided to take care of other things (bills, credit cards, school, etc.) before spending more money on the car. I do have plans to do a few things this summer so ill keep you guys updated on anything. Things are looking better though. I'm glad to say that i have a job again. For the next two semesters or summer/fall, I will be workng for a company called V2Soft, Inc. I managed to interview and accept a summer/fall full-time paid internship with them and will be working with fellow Southern Ilinois University Carbondale graduates. :)

This company engages in the business of development and/or implementation of computer software and other technology products for its Clients. From what i know so far, they make software and hardware for Chrysler/Fiat Scan Tool communication. I am lucky to be working with the newest Chrysler and Fiat products. This will look great on my resume! :cool: I will be living in the Pontiac/Auburn Hills area of Michigan (north of Detroit). Maybe ill meet someone from the area. This is the first time i've been given the chance to do something like this and im excited start working for them on May 17. :dblthumb:

I do plan on taking the 240SX with me to Michigan (300 miles away) and traveling back to Chicago when i can. I rented an apartment with a classmate so i'm almost ready to move over there. Oh, and i do plan on taking classes here in Chicago for summer/fall so i'd be traveling back on the weekends from Michigan, except i wont be driving the car (AmTrak). :woot:

sjbsuperman1425
CA18DET

David, when you have time, hit up Bay City when you get to Michigan!

Speedracer5767
Car: 95 240 SE-SR20DET-3"exhaust-HKS SSQV BOV-VLSD-FMIC-Greddy GRacer lip-4300K HID's-AEM UEGO WIDEBAND-AUTOMETER CF Boost gauge-Go Pro Hero Cam

I will look into rerouting the maf to another location. Beans33, you should hit me up if you ever get up towards smyrna.

boost_boy

ser20det wrote:boost_boy

Indeed! The bottom end has stock .020 over pistons and rings. Each engine has a different trim, but this one is stock. The others range from Wiseco to CP, from Pauter to cheaper aftermarket rods, align bored to lightened, knife-edged and balanced cranks. As for the heads, they all have big name bump sticks and valve springs, so again I get to play with a few different trims.

davidricardo86
Car: 1992 Nissan 240SX SE

boost_boy wrote:
ser20det wrote:boost_boy

Indeed! The bottom end has stock .020 over pistons and rings. Each engine has a different trim, but this one is stock. The others range from Wiseco to CP, from Pauter to cheaper aftermarket rods, align bored to lightened, knife-edged and balanced cranks. As for the heads, they all have big name bump sticks and valve springs, so again I get to play with a few different trims.
I wish i had the flexibility and funds to be able to fine tune my engine/software parameters like that Dee. I've been learning more and more about fuel, ignition, and volumetric efficiency from some the best drivability techs in the chicago area.

EPA funded seminars on emission related code diagnosis/repairs are held on a monthly basis. They involve lab scopes, and scan tools (oem & generic)as the primary tools of the diagnosis/repair process. The topics included Fuel Trims and how they corrolate to Air-Fuel (Lambda) and Oxygen Sensors, MAF sensors and everything else thats happening with the engine when it operates. The main goals being to reduce emissions and increase engine efficiency. I can see how tuning any engine relates to what you are doing. The seminars are free to anyone and a lot of locals attend. The more i learn, the more i realize i didnt/dont know though. It's really good information if youre into that (i am). Yea I know, a standalone ecu is the answer for my ca18. Just thinking out loud i guess.
sjbsuperman1425 wrote:David, when you have time, hit up Bay City when you get to Michigan!
Will keep it in mind. I will be looking for reputable shops in the area, maybe you could lend me a hand?

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”