Dobbs Honda in Memphis, TN screwed me. Bunch of crooks. (Now renamed Autonation Honda)

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

My 1997 Honda Prelude needed a bunch of work for its 240k service. This included: Head gasket (had a small external leak), rebuild the head (valve seals and valve adjustment), timing belt, water pump, accessory belts, front main seal, intake manifold and exhaust manifold gaskets, Vtec solenoid and Vtec module gaskets, valve cover gasket, and fuel filter. I also requested that they inspect everything while they were in there and let me know if anything is out of wack (or just replace small things like any cracked vacuum hoses they might find). In addition, I also requested the take a look at my squeaky/rattling sunroof.

The reason I didn't do all this myself was that I didn't want the car to be off the road for very long. I didn't want to be driving my highly modified 240 all over the place (required repeated trips up to Memphis and back, my mom was flying in from the airport).

Assistant Service Manager Brady Hutchison at Dobbs Honda in Memphis, TN quoted me roughly $1700 and change, with a 3 day turn around.

3 days turned into 3 weeks. I received multiple calls letting me know what was going on with the car. One of which said that it would be an extra day because the exhaust manifold studs were severely rusted, and the nuts wouldn't come off of them, so they had to cut, drill, and re-tap them all. This added 9 hours of labor to the job, and a bunch of cash.
Do those look like new exhaust manifold studs and nuts to you? This pic was taken after I got the car back.
Now, I've heard of crooked shops performing un-needed work on cars (and charging for it), but this is just ridiculous. They didn't perform that work, and still charged me for it.

Every time they told me it would be taking longer than expected, I asked if I could get a loaner car or something, due to the situation with my 240. They kept telling me no. Finally I said "Ok fine, but it absolutely HAS to be done by March 19th" as that is when my mom was flying in... and the 240 isn't exactly a good car to go around touring the south with (no cruise control, no AC, not very comfy seats, loud as heck, not very reliable, etc). They said that wouldn't be a problem.Well the day comes and guess what, the car still isn't done. They claim that they were having trouble with a shop they outsourced the head to... and that the guy didn't want to do the work. Brady Hutchison actually called me and informed me that if I rebuild the head, that I would probably end up using a bunch of oil in the car. I informed him that he had that backwards... but Brady Hutchison doesn't seem to understand even the most basic of automotive internal combustion theory (which he proved to me many times, but that's another long story).

After I picked up my mom from the airport in the 240, I went to the Dobbs Honda in Memphis TN and demanded some sort of rental or loaner, because it had now been 2 weeks on a job they had quoted me 3 days, and that is just retarded. Brady Hutchison told me that he could get me a rental car from Enterprise, but I would have to put it in my name so that the rate would only be $19 per day, and not the $35 if it was in Dobbs Honda's name. He also told me that they would only cover 3 days of rental, not the amount of time until the car was completed, whatever amount of time that may be. Dobbs Honda would NOT cover any insurance or any other fees, just $19 for 3 days.

I discuss it with my mom and determine that if there are a bunch of stupid hidden fees, we would say screw it and just drive the 240. Well, that didn't work out. Pulling into the Enterprise car lot, the 240 hits a bump and just dies. It cranked over but wouldn't start and kinda smelled like fuel (like the coolant temp sensor just died). So now we're screwed, and we HAVE to get the rental.$19 a day turned into about $60 a day after insurance and a daily $10 "under 25 fee" even though my 25th birthday was during the time of the rental (they wouldn't wave the fee for those days I was 25), plus $10 a day to add my mom as a driver. So then I get this awful chevy Aveo... not comparable to the Prelude in any way, shape, or form. Whatever, by this time I was sick of the whole situation and just took the keys.

By the time the rental ran up, my Honda still wasn't done from Dobbs Honda in Memphis, TN. Brady Hutchison gave me some random BS line about why that was, and that I would have to rent the car again, but they weren't going to cover it.By this time I am thinking that the crooked lazy people at Dobbs Honda in Memphis, TN and Enterprise car rental in Memphis (both on Covington Pike) are in cahoots with each other, and do this type of crap all the time. So I figured I'd throw a monkey wrench into their plans, and buy another car. I was looking at getting an S2000 from the dealership, but there was no effing way in hell that I would be buying ANYTHING from them, so I got a Mazda Miata from another used car dealer.Gave the awful Aveo back to Enterprise and went on my merry way in the Miata. I also filed an official complaint with Honda Corporate. That seemed to get their butts in gear, because 2-3 days later BAM my car was done! Amazing!

So I drive to Memphis with a friend of mine and pick up the car. I go to Brady Hutchison to pay the bill, and HOLY SMOKES, the $1700 and change has exploded into $2818.17.I swipe it on the credit card in case anything is messed up (or I find some sort of billing discrepancy), so my credit card's army of lawyers can rip them a new one.

We got 20 miles from Dobbs Honda in Memphis, TN, and the oil pressure light came on in the car. I stopped driving immediately, parked it in a walgreens lot, and drove the rest of the way home in the Miata. It was pouring rain out, so I didn't feel like digging into the problem right then and there. I called Brady Hutchison of Dobbs Honda in Memphis and left a very angry voice mail.The next day, my friend gives me a ride up there to get/fix/inspect the car.

I inspect things, and this is what I find:Valve cover bolts used to be chrome, now they are weird rusty ones from god knows where.Radiator support bracket bolts used to be weird rusty ones, now they look like valve cover bolts (which there were 4 of)....but now there are 5 of them down there. Where Dobbs Honda got the 5th bolt... I have no idea, probably stole it off someone els' car.I also find this little gem:A random wire just hanging out, not connected to anything, and this wire, completely broken off:

Anyway, I didn't find any oil leaks or anything, so I start the car up. No oil pressure light. Great. I drive it home problem free.I take it to work the next day and on the way home from work, BAM, the oil pressure light AND and CEL come on.I run diagnostics on the CEL and I get this:P0401- insufficient exhaust gas recirculation flow.Probably some coked up intake port for the EGR that they didn't inspect after I requested they inspect everything while they had it apart.

Brady Hutchison of Dobbs Honda calls me back and tells me that I need to bring the car back up there. I tell him he can send a flat bed and pick it up, and pay for the tow, cos I'm not driving the car with the oil pressure light on. I also tell him that I have no faith in his shops abilities. He tells me its probably just the oil pressure sending unit that is faulty. I ask which sensor controls the oil pressure light (there are 2, one is for Vtec). He tells me he'll look into it. He never called me back, so I do my own research and find out which one it is. I swapped it out today. Guess what, oil pressure light is still on, I called him, and he hasn't called me back yet.

When I first got the car back, the oil REEKED like it was half parts cleaner, it was also a quart and a half low... so I changed it out (also hoping it would take care of the oil pressure light). The only thing I can think of is that they filled my crank case with something other than oil, OR they let a piece of trash get into the oil system while they were doing all their work, and it is blocking the oil pickup. Either way, they haven't reduced my bill, given me a refund, or made any attempt to make it right. I'm calling my credit card company today and telling them not to pay them.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I forgot to mention, Dobbs Honda did nothing to the sunroof (which... now I'm thankful for... I don't want them to touch the car ever again), and there are now coolant leaks coming from the upper radiator hose.

The good: whoever did the valve job did a hell of a job. It runs super smooth and quiet, no taps, ticks, etc.

The bad: Absolutely everything else.

EvillE423

Damn dude. That sucks!! I don't blame you one bit for not paying. That's b.s. Hope you get things figured out and get to the bottom of it.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Feel free to post things such as Dobbs Honda, Memphis, TN and Brady Hutchison in your replies to get this to the top of a google search and make them famous for the crooks they are.

Honestly, I just want my car to be done/driveable for the price agreed upon... and they don't seem to have any urgency in the matter. Maybe this thread, seeing it become the #1 result in a google search, and canceling the payment from the credit card company will light a fire under their asses.

sx moneypit
Car: 2010 370Z
1986 Toyota MR2

When the Dobbs family owned the Dobbs Honda dealership this sort of s**t never would have happened.Since Auto Nation bought them out they have gone to s**t!I know because some techs i used to work with work at Dobbs Ford.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

^ Good to know. When did Dobbs Honda get bought by Auto Nation?

The BBB gives Dobbs Honda a rating of A+, but I wonder if that was from when the Dobbs Family owned it.

numbnuts240
Car: 1999 exploder 4-door 5-speed, 1974 fairlady z 250gt, 2011 ford focus, 2010 mazda3

brady hutchison of dobbs honda in memphis, tn is a lying, cheating, extortionate bag of d!ck.

sx moneypit
1986 Toyota MR2

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:^ Good to know. When did Dobbs Honda get bought by Auto Nation?
Dobbs Honda got bought out in 2001 or 2002 .

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Honestly, he doesn't really seem like an evil person or anything, just that he doesn't know the first thing about cars, nor does he investigate anything that goes on at his shop... nor does he feel the need to let me know what is going on with a $2800+ service charge when the car is all sorts of f***ed up.

numbnuts240
Car: 1999 exploder 4-door 5-speed, 1974 fairlady z 250gt, 2011 ford focus, 2010 mazda3

as a service manager, i find it hard to believe that brady hutchison doesn't know what's going on in his shop. if i had a pissed off customer calling me asking why a 3day job was taking 3 weeks, heads would be rolling. he obviously doesn't care, which just leads me to believe that he's just a good actor.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I dropped the car off to Dobbs Honda on March 6th, and this s*** is still going on, 1 month later.

sx moneypit
1986 Toyota MR2

When Dobbs Honda got bought out a lot of good , long time employees left them.

adidas2go
Car: Cycle through all kinds of cars, trucks, motorcycles, and boats 🤙
Once upon a time: 1st turbo Altima Coupe

Dobbs Honda and Brady Hutchison of Memphis, TN sound like a bunch of whack, no talent crooks. You should not pay a CENT!

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Well, I already responded to your post on facebook, but I'll respond here too. It sucks that the Service Manager Brady Hutchison at Dobbs Honda in Memphis, TN is not taking car of you, especially after charging you nearly $3k to screw up your car worse.

You need to file a complaint with the BBB about this because it's ridiculous. The exhaust studs that haven't been replaced after being charged 9 hours of labor to do so would have me outraged. In fact, I would have my lawyer dealing with Dobbs Honda in Memphis, TN instead of messing with it myself at this point.

Any place that charges you over $1000 more than you were originally quoted, withOUT even contacting you to ask if it is ok is not conducting business very well and should have a report filed against them. They are essentially stealing from *you*. When you dropped the car off, you authorized them to do $1700 worth of work on your car, not charge whatever the hell they want.

I can see the time thing taking longer than 3 days. Sometimes things like that happen. But they have no right to charge the customer (you) more without asking if it's ok.

It's a shame that a company like Dobbs Honda in Memphis, TN is still in business after treating customers this way.

Otto.

Dobbs Honda of Memphis, TN sounds like a horrible place to do business.

Once this is all sorted out with Brady Hutchison, service manager at Dobbs Honda in Memphis, TN, you should never go near one of their dealers ever again.

Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business Dobbs Honda Brady Hutchison Bad Business

Wheeeeeeeee

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/8....html

I know its a Cali link but hopefully some or all applies to your state as well.

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

It certainly sounds like Service Manager Brady Hutchison at Dobbs Honda in Memphis is completely clueless and doesn't give 2 shats about Customer satisfaction.

Service Manager Brady Hutchison at Dobbs Honda in Memphis is just as bad as all the other scammers out there, only he has a "title"

One day, Service Manager Brady Hutchison at Dobbs Honda in Memphis will learn his lesson the hardway!!

If I were you, I would also post Service Manager Brady Hutchison at Dobbs Honda in Memphis in http://www.ripoffreport.com/

I would also take a quick video of everything that transpired between you and Service Manager Brady Hutchison at Dobbs Honda in Memphis showing all the Eff-ups while narrating and post it on Youtube.

If you read this Service Manager Brady Hutchison at Dobbs Honda in Memphis ... you have done your company a GREAT dis-service...

Shame on you Service Manager Brady Hutchison at Dobbs Honda in Memphis

eds13
Car: 89 240sx Hatch, 07 Armada LE, 06 M35x, 97 C35 Laurel, 94 JDM Q45

Time to report them to the Better Business Bureau!!!!

Dobbs Honda in MemphisDobbs Honda in MemphisDobbs Honda in MemphisDobbs Honda in MemphisDobbs Honda in MemphisDobbs Honda in MemphisDobbs Honda in MemphisDobbs Honda in Memphisderp.

Sushibandito
Car: 1992 240sx HB

I was told that Service Manager Brady Hutchison at Dobbs Honda in Memphis, TN likes to attend cos-play conventions dressed as pedo-bear, but he also dresses as pedo-bear in RL.

I've had it with crappy shops deciding to just pretend the problem will do away. We have a local tuning garage, the owner makes the call on who he will and won't do business with. If the guy brings his S13 and says "I want 500hp on my stock engine" the owner will send him elsewhere, which is totally legit. But promising to preform basic engine maintenance and then epically failing at providing that should be a crime, like 5-0 show up at the shop and write him a ticket, or better yet, arrest him for fraud.

troskinatior
Car: A Two Tone Piggy Coupe

Wow that suck, thats why I wouldn't trust anyone working on my car, especally that Service Manager at Brady Hutchison Dobbs Honda in Memphis

jona300zx
Car: '95 300ZX N/A

Service Manager Brady Hutchison at Dobbs Honda in Memphis, TNService Manager Brady Hutchison at Dobbs Honda in Memphis, TNService Manager Brady Hutchison at Dobbs Honda in Memphis, TN

I hope all goes well OP!!!!

Service Manager Brady Hutchison at Dobbs Honda in Memphis, TNService Manager Brady Hutchison at Dobbs Honda in Memphis, TNService Manager Brady Hutchison at Dobbs Honda in Memphis, TN

TurboSauce
Car: 2006 G35 coupe, 2018 Mazda CX-9

Ignorant sales manager rips off honest hard working man nearly 3 thousand dollars.service manager took ten times longer then the agreed upon time slot to fix said young mans car, and only did a valve job for his 240k mile service, it was agreed upon that everything would be changed and fixed for one thousand seven hundred dollars but everything mas merley moved around and some wires were badly damaged.Dobbs Honda Memphis Tennessee
Modified by TurboSauce at 8:06 PM 4/7/2010

Solar_Runner

Wow... almost hard to believe that crap like this still happens, Dobbs Honda in Memphis, TN reminds me of those old gas stations along route 66, back in the 50's that would sabotage your car when you where inside taking a piss...

Pull a "Jesda" and picket them... it worked out pretty good for him when he got jacked around.

Modified by Solar_Runner at 3:52 PM 4/7/2010

TurboSauce
Car: 2006 G35 coupe, 2018 Mazda CX-9

Urabus GodofTraction
Car: 2002 WRX Wagon, 2004 SV650, 1988 Land Cruiser, 1994 XR600R

You know Google has algorithms to reject spam like most of you are attempting to do, right?

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

charlieo wrote:You know Google has algorithms to reject spam like most of you are attempting to do, right?
Yeah, it will actually work better if each poster mentions Dobbs Honda in Memphis, TN only once or twice in each post. Hundreds of repetitive posts don't do anything.

It will also help when we get the new forums up and running (should be any day now) because it will help index the forum pages better.

dre1507
Car: Some boring Lexus that's currently at home with a smashed mouth (crashed).

So Brady Hutchinson as Dobbs Honda in Memphis, Tennessee is allowing his employees to perform sub-par repair/check-up work and giving customers the run around while making them over pay for it? Shame on you Brady Hutchinson at Dobbs Honda in Memphis, Tennessee. Brady Hutchinson at Dobbs Honda in Memphis, Tennesse needs to face some sort of consequences for his negligence.

ralphsdiorama
Car: 1991 240sx, 1998 240sx (RB project)

Dobbs Honda and Brady Hutchison of Memphis, TN will be put out of business due to their poor service, but hey we might as well quicken the process!

Jesda

I'm ENRAGED reading that story. What an incompetent, worthless bunch of useless twats. If I lived in Memphis, I'd be down there picketing the dealer for you.
charlieo wrote:You know Google has algorithms to reject spam like most of you are attempting to do, right?
Most effective thing to do is put it in your siggy with a link to the thread. The great thing is, with 30,000 posts floating about, anyone who searches for Nissan, Infiniti, Q45, Maxima, BMW, convertible, Jesda, Crossfire, Saab, vanning, Kelly Clarkson, pants, Honda, Prelude, bacon, Cadillac, Seville, Mandy Moore, or Memphis could possibly see it in search results.

Its a pretty effective high-traffic billboard.
Modified by Jesda at 5:58 PM 4/7/2010

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

I can't belive that Brady Hutchison can be that clueless about what goes on in the bays at Dobbs Honda in Memphis, TN. I think a lot of people there need to get fired!

Return to “General Chat”