Do any of you REGRET buying the Versa vs. another?

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
sonicfox
Car: 2010 Nissan Versa 1.8S HB

I bought my 2010 Versa 1.8 S HB last night after also test driving the Yaris and the Fit. Before test driving, I already had my heart set on the Yaris, so I drove it first. My family has always been Toyota fans, so I was biased. However, after driving it, I liked how peppy it was, but the cabin noise and the interior did not impress me at all. Next, I drove a Fit Sport. Hands down, I liked everything about it...even the $2000 difference in price between it and the Yaris, wouldn't have cinvinced me to buy the Yaris. Last, I drove the Versa. The interior certainly did not have the "cool" factor like the Fit, but it was of good quality...better than the other two cars IMO. It was the least peppy of the three, but it was a smooth and quiet ride...a tad better than the Fit.

Going by looks only, the Fit won me over. However, the price tag on the Versa was $1000 less PLUS they were going to take $2500 off of that! So, basically, I'd get a brand new car which was $3500 less than the Fit...and what I figured would be just as reliable.

To make a long story even longer (HAHA!), I didn't do much research on the Versa before I made this decision. I went on blind faith in the Nissan brand that this would be a reliable car. My friends and family all have owned Nissans in the past that have run forever! So, I figured this was too good of a deal to pass up. But, after I got home last night, I found out the reliablity ratings of the Versa seemed considerably lower than the Fit. Now, I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse. I wouldn't have spent an extra $3500 for the Fit on looks alone, but I would have if I had known about the reliability problems of the past Versas.

I know it's too late now, and it's my fault for not doing my research, but I wonder if any of you have felt the same way. I hope the problems have been ironed out, and they were minor. I guess I'm hoping many of you will tell me you've not had any severe problems and have not regretted your desision to buy the Versa over it's competitors. I'm a single female, and do not care to be stranded alone on the interstate somewhere! It's only been two days since I've owned the car, but so far, I love it! I hope it stays that way!

Thanks...and I'm glad this forum exists! My car is a boring color...magnetic gray, but I plan to tint the rear windows and add a spoiler. I think it will make it look a lot nicer.

WeirdFishes

I had a similar experience to you.

I got an OUTSTANDING DEAL from Nissan that I simply couldn't walk away from. I gave Honda dealers the opportunity to take my business, but they couldn't go ANYWHERE EVEN CLOSE to the deal on the Versa. Like your case, it was a difference of about 3K. They told me Fits sold themselves without much budging on price. I believe them.

But I LOVE my Versa. However, I would trade it for a FIT if even exchange. :P

Versa Pros

- Fuel Economy- Roomy- Rides Well- Untouchable Value- Class Leading HP/Torgue- Heavy, Solid Doors- Exterior Design- Interior Design

Versa Cons

- Questionable Build Quality- Mediocre Fit and Finish- Creaky Air Vents- Ropey Shifter- Thrashy Engine- Sloppy Handling (but rides better than Fit)- Pathetically Low Number of OEM Accessories - Terrible Gauge Illumination- Whack Stock Stereo

Fit Pros

- Excellent Fuel Economy- Excellent Handling- Smoother, More Refined Engine- Better Looks (more modern)- Insanely Crisp/Bright Gauge Illumination (plus blue beats white every time!)- Higher Resale Value- More Versatile Trunk- Waaaay Better Stock Stereo- Snick Snick Shifter- Comprehensive OEM Accessories

Fit Cons

- Price (shiz be expensive!)- No Beige Interior (I'm sick of black/gray)- Weird Interior Design- Doesn't Have That Awesome Thud That Versa Doors Make When Closing
Modified by WeirdFishes at 5:57 PM 3/21/2010

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

I never looked at the Yaris or Fit. I originally went in to buy a Frontier truck and left with a Versa S H/B. The only thing I sometimes want is a manual 6-spd vs. the auto I bought. I too bought the "boring" Magnetic Gray as it was the best color for me. I am going to have to find a way to build a bullet-proof auto if I ever get around to building a turbo kit or a supercharger kit.

WeirdFishes

Promise Land:

You should test drive a FIT for fun. The handling is slightly short of a Mini Cooper, which is nothing but praise. Very crisp turn ins and very athletic. Much more fun to drive than the Versa, but doesn't absorb bumps/highway expansions as well.

silverarrow27

I wish I would have opted for a car with more power...somewhere in the 190-200 hp range.

WeirdFishes

Silver,

That's a whole different ballgame, i.e. segment. Some cars that come to mind: Golf GTI, Civic SI, Mini Cooper S, Sentra SE-R, etc.. These cars are rarely cross-shopped with the Versa. But yeah, 80 more horses would very sweet!

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

When I bought my first Versa the Honda dealer didn't even have a Fit for me to look at, let alone test. They were, however, willing to let me buy one sight unseen and over invoice price... I went to the Toyota dealer and when they found out I'd test driven a Versa they wouldn't even unlock a Yaris for me to look at and showed me a Corolla, instead. No thanks.

Literally, the only regret I had about the first Versa was not getting the package with the keyless ignition, steering wheel audio controls, etc. So when I sold it to my son at 99k miles the next one I bought had that package and I love it! (My daughter loves hers, too, with about 60k miles on it.)

None of our three Versa's (all CVT HB's) has had any problems other than one warranty replacement of my daughter's fuel pump regulator, a common problem. I don't think you have to worry about getting stranded.

WeirdFishes

How would one detect a fuel pump regulator problem?

br4dysays
Car: 06 Alti SE-R

you would know if you had the problem.

the car doesn't want to start normally, turns over but doesn't start, then after a few tries it'll start up normally, and for me it came and went, didn't really do it EVERY time, but enough.

iluvmyVersa08
Car: 2008 SL Sport

I never test drove a Fit, I didn't want a Honda; insurance here on a Honda can run really high. I test drove an Accent (as that was what I was currently driving) but hated it. I only test drove it because my dad knows the owner, but I hated it. New 08 model felt the same as my old 01 model. Then I test drove a Cobalt as I had an incentive if I test drove it they gave me a free ipod (which I did receive:D) ... But didn't like it. Too boring and I wanted a hatchback.

Next I drove the Versa; and after insurance was going to be the same cost, I went with that. I however got it fully loaded. If I'm going to drive a car I figured I might as well enjoy it and pay a bit extra for all the goodies. (And to be honest it's not that much more to get it fully loaded). Mine's 2 years old on April 2, and about 32K. No problems besides have the fuel pressure regulator replaced. I have the CVT warranty and am happy that they extended it to 10 years. I know a lot of Nissan owners who cannot say enough good things about their cars, so hopefully the Versa lasts for many years w/out any problems.

Bubs daddy
Car: 2007 Versa SL
ABS, CVT

First of all, I prefer the looks of the Versa far better than the Fit.

I have had my Versa SL for almost 3 1/2 years now. The fit and finish is excellent, the interior looks great and has high quality materials, economical, reliable, and VERSAtile. Paint looks just like the day I bought it and all I've put in it in these 3.5 years is gas, oil and an air filter.

I replaced the tires but it wasn't because the tires were bad. They were wearing well but some road shrapnel took out the front tire so I just got new tires. They had over 30,000 miles on them and rather than have one brand new and three really used ones, I just bought a whole new set.

I have no regrets at all and if I had the choice of a Fit or Versa right now I'd take the Versa without question. The CVT is smooth and has lots of pep.

I high recommend the Versa to anyone looking for a solid, reliable car.

KGibbons
Car: 2008 nissan versa sport(canadian)

I love mine! I have a 2008 full load and have never had a problem. imo some people will want a different car after some time no matter how good it is. ie I had a tuner maxima it was great but sometimes I wanted a different car.

sonicfox
Car: 2010 Nissan Versa 1.8S HB

Wow! Thanks for all of your input! To know you are all satisfied with your Versa's reliability makes me quite as ease that I bought it. I went from a 1999 Hyundai Tubiron to this. Sure, it doesn't look as sporty, but as I've gotten older and wiser, the looks isn't as big of an issue as it used to be though I DO like the looks of the Versa. Most important to me was an affordable and reliable car to last a long time...and it seems I might have found it. I'm known to keep my cars for THAT long. I bought that Tiburon brand new. After 11 years, I was SO ready to get rid of it. The Versa blows it away in every aspect! Although it may not LOOK as sporty, it's SOOO much nicer to drive...more than the Tiburon EVER was! LOL! Thanks again!

Nismo V
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8S 2008 Scion xB 2.4L

What's to regret the V is hands down the best of the three at the current price point and class the Fit get's more credit then it's due cheap quality interior and as far as handling goes it should be a little better in stock form given the higher sticker price $$$$

The Yaris is no competition, there are many nicely upgraded ones but none of the stock ones can match a V..

I drove all three before I made my decision and it was not a hard decision at all..

But what I do wish (regret) is that Nissan/Nismo has not made all the Tiida parts available stateside.. but maybe if they see more people fixed V's they'll realize they could have a good tandem with the Cube and Versa like Scion did with the original xB and xA.

Most Fit owners know the V is a tight car.. sometimes take a visit to Fit Freaks site you might see pics of a V or two..

I personally think it's better not being part of the "in crowd" funny thing is most of the cars that try to get me racing them are not Fits, Yaris, xA, xD or Civics but cars with more power like Mustangs, Accords, Acuras and a lot of V8 and V6 cars so guess that goes to show how other people view the V

silverarrow27

WeirdFishes wrote:Silver,

That's a whole different ballgame, i.e. segment. Some cars that come to mind: Golf GTI, Civic SI, Mini Cooper S, Sentra SE-R, etc.. These cars are rarely cross-shopped with the Versa. But yeah, 80 more horses would very sweet!

The whole different ball game isn't a big issue, after making numerous long drives with a car packed of people and luggage trying to climb hills and trying to speed up to traffic speed isn't very, hmmm..pleasing.

I figured at the time it was making the same numbers as my s12 turbo, 120 hp n/a vs 120 hp fi isn't the same lol Same trips with the s12 turbo netted me the better gas mileage and did everything I needed. Just didn't have ac and 4 drs.
Nismo V wrote:...I personally think it's better not being part of the "in crowd" funny thing is most of the cars that try to get me racing them are not Fits, Yaris, xA, xD or Civics but cars with more power like Mustangs, Accords, Acuras and a lot of V8 and V6 cars so guess that goes to show how other people view the V
For your situation, I look at it this way. Easy Kill for them I wouldn't necessarily take it as a compliment.

Promise Land
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

Nismo V wrote:But what I do wish (regret) is that Nissan/Nismo has not made all the Tiida parts available stateside..
What parts do you want? I have a part number for every NISMO Tiida part that will fit on the Versa, and they will be in the NISMO catalog when it comes out in April (next month). Any dealership and some retailers that can order NISMO items can order them.

What I wish, is that they got the info out there better. They really push the GT-R, 370Z, but not the Versa. We sell like 5x the amount of Versas, but it doesn't get advertised as "sporty". We're slowly changing that.

nova09versa

wife's 10 year suv kept on throwing codes. Hearing about CFC, we decided to shop for around online at (fit, yaris, accent, and versa). Price point was the key for us. Didn't want to have a loan and wanted out the door for $10k.

Quickly realized that Fit had no cash incentives, neither did yaris. Accent didn't know much about reliability with hyundai. So went to Nissan showroom. Saw the Versa and wife liked it. Ended up getting it out the door for $11k. This included the $3500 CFC and $3500 nissan matching.

led hed
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa SL HB 6spd

i bought nissan again because i have a good dealer and remember, you have warranty.

install the UR braces and this car will be tighter than a fit.

you can do alot to the versa for the difference in price that will exceed the fit.

i like mine. no problems whatsoever after 10k kms

Nismo V

Key words "they try to get me racing".. as far as easy kill goes the car with the most power to weight usually wins..

Anyone can be beaten, the most important part is how the driver feels about their vehicle, like the way you felt about the S12 it was a good FR chassis, but didn't meet all your needs.. Good thing is you still have the Z to play with..

Off subject have they built up Empire? I haven't been out there in a long while..

Nismo V

I don't currently plan on getting to many new parts yet, I still have some in my garage I need to install, but thats good news about the catalog I will have to check it out..

Thanks for the heads up

silverarrow27

Nismo V wrote:Key words "they try to get me racing".. as far as easy kill goes the car with the most power to weight usually wins..

Anyone can be beaten, the most important part is how the driver feels about their vehicle, like the way you felt about the S12 it was a good FR chassis, but didn't meet all your needs.. Good thing is you still have the Z to play with..

Off subject have they built up Empire? I haven't been out there in a long while..
Nope, the IE is still pretty worthless. In certain areas like where I live...finally got a whole new shopping center with decent stores. Still looks the same though for the most part.

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

Depends on where you're at in the IE. Where I'm at (Rancho Cucamonga, North Fontana and areas where the 210 freeway went through) cities have all been building and developing faster than demand. There are a lot of empty buildings around and unemployment is still running 13 - 15%.

Nismo V

Well if you need some help putting the Z back together I have some friends over at http://www.performanceoptions.net/index.html they specialize/restore classics like yours they worked on my friends 260Z it was in the last Fast and Furious it has a 2JZ..

Take a look it's clean.. http://photobucket.com/friendsridespassword: gifted

Modified by Nismo V at 9:32 AM 3/27/2010

ScottDoom
Car: '09 Nissan Versa

I kind of got suckered into buying the Versa because I don't know how to deal with pressure from dealers.

I was going to look at the Honda Fit as well, but never made it out to drive one. However, I think even if I had, I would have chose the Versa since it's cheaper and rated almost as highly.

I wish I had waited to get a different color though. I have the lighter silver one (Brilliant Silver?) and I wish I had got either black or that darker gray (Magnetic Gray?).

But really, what I wish I had done was never bought a new car and got a used one I could of paid off faster. Having debt sucks! Hahah. Or kept my old car, which was amazing. 2002 Buick Regal LS with a crap ton of options and leather seating, with a 3.8L V6. It was auto though, which was killing me. I wanted manual, and got it.

So, in the end, I have a love-hate relationship with my Versa.

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

ScottDoom wrote:I wish I had waited to get a different color though. I have the lighter silver one (Brilliant Silver?) and I wish I had got either black or that darker gray (Magnetic Gray?).
Living in Edmond, you might appreciate it in the next couple of months. In the lot on a sunny day, I was surprised at how much cooler the silver and white cars were to the touch than even the gray ones. It makes a lot of difference in the summer.

bondiblue
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa 1.8S HB ---- 2003 Dodge Durango SXT Sport

ScottDoom wrote:I kind of got suckered into buying the Versa because I don't know how to deal with pressure from dealers.
I'm a sales consultant at the Nissan dealership here and I need to meet more customers like you. Especially on the Versa, we still have 4 new '09s. They don't sell very well around here even though they are indeed a great car for the money. Personally I wish my wife would've gotten a Cube instead. I love those things.

jeep2times

Why are the 2009's still on the lot? Any ideas why they haven't sold? Looks like the incentive that was on the unsold 2009s that was available in March is gone too. I'm interested as I'm beginning to look at adding a Versa to my family... and other than traction control, can't see much difference in the 09 and 10 models. I tend to keep cars for a long time, so model years don't really much matter.

Promise Land
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

Other than the grille update for the 2010 and ABS standard instead of an option, there isn't much difference.

Here is a list of the model changes by year:http://www.nicoclub.com/archiv....html

KimberKenobi
Car: the Camel

Thankfully I know one person on here will manage to put more miles on their V than I will on mine...

My first V had poor fit and finish, partly due to the sunroof install being crooked and screwing up the headliner... As we have learned a good lesson here, NEVER BUY AFTERMARKET SUNROOF IF YOU ARE ANAL RETENTIVE AND THE CAR IS AVAILABLE WITH SUN/MOON ROOF... I digress and traded for second V...

Neither V has rattled (though I traded first one at 7,600 miles) but I'm pushing 74k in mine (will have owned 3 years as of the end of May) and only problem was the fuel regulator... which was doubly difficult as somebody tore the O-rings on the first one put in and you can't just order extra O-rings... sigh.

I was grateful that they increased the warranty on my CVT... though at this rate that warranty will too expire in 2 years.

Prior to purchasing the V, I spent months researching upcoming cars - I had decided that I wanted to buy a new car that would be dependable and last me for a long time versus another used car which came with it's own unique problems... in my experience, a used car can be just as expensive after maintenance and if you buy new, after you pay it off you can put that monthly car payment into a savings to cover the more expensive things that start to wear out like wheel bearings, suspension, etc.

The Fit was automatically out for 2 reasons, not enough leg room and no dead pedal... and it is kinda unpleasing to mine eyes...(insert german accent and "mein eyes, mein eyes" here)

I looked at a Yaris... which looked like it could tuck safely into the pocket of my JNCOs so no dice... and I hate that front end that they have now adopted for other cars of theirs...

Hands down, the V has the best back seat legroom in it's segment and the segment above it... and going from the "trunk space" of a Suzuki Sidekick (or Chevy Tracker) to the cargo space of the V... I've had no problems XoD Plus, one year a friend of mine and I went camping in the Smokey Mountains... on the way back we left the Camel with my mom to take to the shop (see: fuel regulator problems) and drove the rest of the way home in her Subaru Forester... Everything which tucked neatly in the V (cargo area and backseat) was all up in my rear window in the Forester (cargo area and backseat)... which hurt my brain to the point I wish I had taken pictures.

By the time I first went to test drive one, I knew more about the V than the sales team... Unfortunately I test drove an automatic and was deeply disappointed by its lack of power. I agreed to try a CVT before I bough another car, but I did start looking elsewhere. At the time, the V was just the biggest bang for the buck for a techie nerd like myself. Plus it had all the things I loved about my first car (Subaru Loyale)... the bumps on the steering wheel, showed the gear selection in the dash, auto up/down driver's window, intermittent wipers, rear doors... it was a hatch like my Probe and had the rear window wiper... It had a back seat I wasn't ashamed to stick my adult friends in (let's face it, the back seat of a Sidekick or a Ford Probe is a joke and many back seats are uncomfortable for folks with long legs)...

Suzuki had stopped making the Aereo in a hatch, Subaru was no longer making the Baja... I wanted a small car because I enjoyed how easy it was to park and u-turn my Sidekick (which, ironically, had a higher safety rating than my Loyale) and I'm very glad I had that preference as now I have to park in a ridiculously small parking garage... At the time the car manufacturers I looked to for long lasting cars (Toyota and Subaru) didn't make anything I wanted to drive and truthfully, Nissan only had the 1... (I would've taken a Z, but that's not very practical, now is it. ... and I didn't want the Xterra because it's not small)

Anyway, I had already sold my Sidekick, so I really don't know what I would have done if the CVT transmission hadn't performed beautifully...

But I love the Camel. ;o)

The only regret I had was not waiting for them to reorder my car in the correct color (and going with an SL with aftermarket sunroof).

Bubs daddy
Car: 2007 Versa SL
ABS, CVT

and it is kinda unpleasing to mine eyes
That is something I have always thought as well. Something is just odd looking with the Fit. Looks like a rollerskate or something.

I like how the Versa roofline slopes back down rearward. The Fit stays high and just looks strange, kind of toyish. Can't put my finger on it but just doesn't look right.

Congrats on three years, mine's 3.5 years but only 35,000 miles.

Welcome back Kimber Kenobi, you're our only hope!

Return to “Versa General Chat”