DIY - HR Dual Short Ram intake with oem Piping

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
evografix

Well I couldn't help myself. After looking at the factory air boxes and piping I had to give it a try. Some of the after market air filter setups are crazy expensive.

At first I wasn't gonna do this because I didn't want to destroy the factory boxes. I purchased a used set off ebay for $25 + shipping and went to work.

I then researched filters for quality and sizing and came up with AEM 21-201DK they have 2.5" inlet and fit perfectly.

I then cut the inlet pipes off the stock air boxes as close to the box as possible. I mounted the AEM filters and temporarily secured them to try them out. They performed much better than the stock air boxes but I wanted to extend them a little closer to the front of the engine compartment. I then purchased 2-1/2 id x 2-1/2 od pipe adaptors. I cleaned and polished these and painted them with high temp paint. I then installed them over the OE pipes. They were a tight fit but I used a small amount of black O2 sensor safe rtv to ensure no air leakage. I then fabricated and installed support brackets. This system works very well and I have a total of $125.00 in this.

Extensions added.

Brakets fabricated.

rmezz13
Car: Had 2004.5 Nissan 350z
Have 96 f250 and mommas 07 Murano

very very very nice... i love theses kind of posts.... stickied

R350Zz33
Car: 2008 350z enthusiast

ur gonna get heat soak unless u fabricate a heat shield

K03sport
Car: 04 Pathfinder. My first Nissan was a '72 Datsun 510 Wagon.

R350Zz33 wrote:ur gonna get heat soak unless u fabricate a heat shield
I was thinking the same thing...nothing like warm..err hot air from the radiator.

What is so restrictive about the factory air boxes? There are minimal bends, decent filter area, and they draw air in right behind the bumper (low pressure area). The 350 (and now 370) seem to have a really well designed twin air box setup.

evografix

R350Zz33 wrote:ur gonna get heat soak unless u fabricate a heat shield
That might be possible if I idled for prolonged periods on a hot day. The 350z has some of the best front air flow I have seen so I'm not too worried at this point. there are several G35's and some other cars that run a short ram with no heat shields anfd have no problems.

I have been driving it this way for a week now with no problems.

Just in case I have considered this and mocked up some templates to fabricate my own. I also contacted AEM to see if I can purchase just the heat shields. I should know more in a day or two from AEM.

If I end up putting heat shields on estimated cost to fab my own is about $15-20.

otto_3478s
Car: 94 AlTiMa + 94 tT 300 zX

Nice work evografix! Looks good and you cant really complain about the price. Thanks for using quality filters instead of Eghey crap. Good work.
K03sport wrote:
What is so restrictive about the factory air boxes?
The Box.
K03sport wrote:There are minimal bends, decent filter area, and they draw air in right behind the bumper (low pressure area). The 350 (and now 370) seem to have a really well designed twin air box setup.
Hell might as well keep the boxes forever then. Screw aftermarket gains in performance

R350Zz33

if you dont think heat shields are not necessary then why does every short ram kit have them. these are credited companies and you are just some guy that cut off an are box and stuck on a filter.

otto_3478s

evografix wrote:
Just in case I have considered this and mocked up some templates to fabricate my own. I also contacted AEM to see if I can purchase just the heat shields. I should know more in a day or two from AEM.

If I end up putting heat shields on estimated cost to fab my own is about $15-20.
Read dude.

evografix

R350Zz33 wrote:if you dont think heat shields are not necessary then why does every short ram kit have them. these are credited companies and you are just some guy that cut off an are box and stuck on a filter.
I'll let you finish reading and won't comment on the heat shields as I don't want to repeat myself.

As far as just some guy, I have 30 years automotive experience and have worked on most vehicles including Rolls Royce, Mercedes, Bently etc. While this by no way makes me the all knowing car designer, I do feel qualified to properly modify my 350z.

I researched Nismo, Injen, AEM and Jim Wolfe Tech. They all have similar performance gains. They all have MAF positioned in approx same place, and have similar sized piping. If you look at the JWT the piping is similar to mine and thats where I got the idea to mod mine.

I will add heat shields if needed, not because you say so.

Thanks

R350Zz33

thats cool i have a few years myself in the automotive field ive worked on fords nissans toyotas subarus mercedes ect... no where near as many years as you but if i put it in a fraction it sounds good ill round up 4/18ths or a little over 1/4 my life.

evografix

R350Zz33 wrote:thats cool i have a few years myself in the automotive field ive worked on fords nissans toyotas subarus mercedes ect... no where near as many years as you but if i put it in a fraction it sounds good ill round up 4/18ths or a little over 1/4 my life.
WOW.....thanks for your contributions to these forums.

otto_3478s

Haha what the laugh and bad image he gives the Z community?? Yea Thanks R350Zz33!!

inline350
Car: 350z

R350Zz33 wrote:thats cool i have a few years myself in the automotive field ive worked on fords nissans toyotas subarus mercedes ect... no where near as many years as you but if i put it in a fraction it sounds good ill round up 4/18ths or a little over 1/4 my life.
Your only 17 since when have you been working on cars????

Just cuz you read the owners manual doesnt make you know evreything and make you have a "couple years of experience"

lmfao

R350Zz33

well i dident count all the years i changed oil with my dad in the drive way but it was on and off for a few years this past year ive really been into it pretty much building 2 and a hlf of my friends cars with them a 94 acura integra thats getting a gsr swap and supporting mods suspension ect.. a 1991 toyota supra thats my friend was using untill he blew up the old 7m non turbo that was in it that we are trying to rebuild. and his 1993 for mustang 5.0 that we really Fix Or Repair Daily(im serious something is always wrong with it.)

otto_3478s

O dang I wouldnt want you working on my car. Geez!!

----------------END-------------------

This thread really needs to get back on topic. I think R350Zz33 already knows where everyone stands on him. LOL.

OP --- Nice work!!!

dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

R350Zz33 wrote:thats cool i have a few years myself in the automotive field

R350Zz33

y not i do great work its not my fault my friend has a ford.

dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

R350Zz33

what details would u like ill hook you up

ldstang50

Richie, get back on topic. or if you want to talk about your automotive history, start another thread.

evo, I like the intake work. Have you thought about extending the piping and making a cold air intake? Just an idea, not suggesting. Plus you seem like you'd have the knowledge to fab something up like that.

-Liam

R350Zz33

anyone can make a cold air intake they sell the parts at auto zone lol

otto_3478s

R350Zz33 wrote:anyone can make a cold air intake they sell the parts at auto zone lol
??? Can you?? Have you?? No you havent so shut up. Your lack of knowledge overwhelms you. You are the true definition of an idiot. You are a disgrace to every Z owner out there. You really need to shut your mouth because you have no clue on anything. STFU until you craft something like this with your bare hands. Yea you can just stay silent. Idiot.

R350Zz33 wrote: if you have a smart a** answer of a smart comment do us all a favor and keep it to yourself. thanks -rich
Lead by example moron. Gosh you are truly mind boggling.

evografix

ldstang50 wrote:evo, I like the intake work. Have you thought about extending the piping and making a cold air intake? Just an idea, not suggesting. Plus you seem like you'd have the knowledge to fab something up like that.
Hmmm....not a bad idea. I know Stillen offers this for the G35 and now the 370. I'm not sure there is enough room. I will look into it.

well I received pricing for AEM heat shields and they approx $110 and a 3 week wait. Looks like I will fab them my self.

Thanks for the complement

AZFAIRLADYZ
Car: 2008 nissan 350z/ VQ35HR

wow nice work evo. I really like the creativity of your project. As for this
R350Zz33 wrote:i have a few years myself in the automotive field.
Sorry Rich, but dude please stop talking. once you get caught lying you just dig yourself a deeper hole. However I know your young so i'll try to be nice. Just FYI I have been working on cars and military aircraft ( F-16's and now C-17's) for about 5 years now. So I know a little bit about cars(but i have alot more to learn), but there are alot of knowledgeable people on here. So if they decide to share what they are doing then show at least some appreciation.

Back on topic. Did you have any luck from AEM?

evografix

AZFAIRLADYZ wrote:Did you have any luck from AEM?
I couldn't convince AEM to send me some free shields so I will fab my own. I will post pics when done.

ldstang50

evografix wrote:
I couldn't convince AEM to send me some free shields so I will fab my own. I will post pics when done.
bastardssend them pics when you're done, along with posting them here

Cesardrgn
Car: Infiniti G20t-EV0

yeap, i 2nd the guy that said "anyone can make a CAI" is so easy to do...

evografix

Cesardrgn wrote:yeap, i 2nd the guy that said "anyone can make a CAI" is so easy to do...
Yep, you are correct. I'm not looking for recognition. I just wanted to put the info out there for anyone who wanted SHORT RAM INTAKE for their HR Motor. I just couldn't see the kind of $ some of the companies were asking.

bmike818
Car: 2007 Z

Evo thanks for your post and Welcome to Nico!!!
R350Zz33 wrote:thats cool i have a few years myself in the automotive field

xjmxstac
Car: 2003 nissan 350z track edition

hahahhahahahhahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahahaahahahhaha

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”