DIY HR airfilter change

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
ldstang50

Yesterday I decided to change the air filters on the Z. I had a spare hour till the GF came down so I figured this would be something I could do that would take an hour. As it turns out, I should have picked something else, entire time was 10minutes.

Difficulty: 1 out of 10

Tools you will need:3/8" ratchet12mm socket14mm socketI also choose to have a helper, my 16yr brother

To make mylife easier I used a 1/2 cordless impact, I'm telling you, after this job yesterday then helping a friend do a disc brake conversion on his car, this is by far the best tool you can get to make your life easier.

Now to the air filter change. I choose to put in K&N drop in filters because the cone style filters are illegal in stock class. Every article I do for the next month or so will be a mod thats legal in stock class.

For the Nismo, there is a brace that goes across the front that sits right on top of the filter boxes. That brace has 6 bolts that hold it on, 3 on each side, the two up front are 12mm the one rear is a 14mm.

Brace with bolts pointed out

Bolts up close

Use ratchet or gun to remove bolts

Now that the brace is removed you can see you have clear access to the air box

This is the part that is beyond easy. You simply pop two clips and the air fitler element pulls right out. I thought I was going to have to fight with the box, but nope, Nissan has done its homework, this what made this job so easy.

Two clips you unlock

You can see how the air filter element just slides out

Now just pop the filter out and replace. K&N on left, old one on right

For those that have an HR, I would recommend you check and clean your air filter every other oil change atleast. Notice how dirty the filter is, and this is only 10,000miles. I've put 2000mi on the car since I've had it. Had I known it was this bad, I would have done this earlier.

Air filter size difference

Once filters are in, slide the filter elements in and reclip then attach front brace. Make sure you do both sides. Filters are exactly the same on both sides.

nik..
Car: 350z hr roadster

what is that brace for ?what does it hold?i haven't got that in my hr..

ldstang50

I have the Nismo. So I'm thinking its one of the extra braces the Nismo comes with.

figgsy4ever
Car: 370zNISMO

I installed a K&N unit on my '01 mustang and will neverdo that to ANY car I own again. It completely trashed the top end of the 'stang's motor in about 6000 miles. Apparently more airflow means more dirt and dust particles not to mention the filter oil getting sucked into the throttle body making your top end a dust magnet.

when I would start the car you could hear the valves "rattle" for a few seconds... anyhowgood luck!!

ldstang50

You obviously did something wrong. I've put a K&N filter on just about every car I've owned and had no problems

xjmxstac
Car: 2003 nissan 350z track edition

figgsy4ever wrote:I installed a K&N unit on my '01 mustang and will neverdo that to ANY car I own again. It completely trashed the top end of the 'stang's motor in about 6000 miles. Apparently more airflow means more dirt and dust particles not to mention the filter oil getting sucked into the throttle body making your top end a dust magnet.

when I would start the car you could hear the valves "rattle" for a few seconds... anyhowgood luck!!
You know, K&N has a warranty on their product. If it's the filter that caused your engine to malfuction, not human error, they might just give you a new engine.

R350Zz33
Car: 2008 350z enthusiast

it takes 2 seconds to change the filter on non nismo's i can even do it with one hand

rmezz13
Car: Had 2004.5 Nissan 350z
Have 96 f250 and mommas 07 Murano

ldstang50 wrote:You obviously did something wrong. I've put a K&N filter on just about every car I've owned and had no problems
me too.... every car well now the Z has CAI sooo w/e but everything else including my mustang GT (1999) and had no problems with that car as far as the air filter goes.... everything else tho LOL thats another story.

LD good post, you can find this in the FAQ & Gen Info thread.

figgsy4ever
Car: 370zNISMO

xjmxstac wrote:You know, K&N has a warranty on their product. If it's the filter that caused your engine to malfuction, not human error, they might just give you a new engine.
I'm driving a '08 350z now and lovin every minute of it,the beauty of Nissan is the factory"S Tune" speed parts that let you go fasterand keep your factory warranty.

dangeris
Car: 08 Code Red 3.5
08 BMW 328xi Coupe
90 300ZX 2+0 NA

aaaahhhh..I can't see the pics.

ldstang50,..did you move or delete the pics

bmike818
Car: 2007 Z

Is that you in the picture?

ldstang50

mike, thats my brother

dangeris, pics work just fine here