DIY How To: Power steering cooler for under 40$

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
LayNLow240
Car: 92 240 coupe

So if your looking at this you obviously are curious about putting a cooler on your p/s system. Now, this is great if you track your car hard and often for two reasons. One being that while your drifting going from lock to lock your pump is working very hard, working with line pressures up to or over 2000PSI. This makes the fluid break down over time, or even boil if your really running laps after laps. Second reason well I already said it but it helps keeps the fluid from breaking down so fast from the heat. Now everyones mounting will be a little different, so I am not going to include pictures of me mounting mine up. But I will show final pictures. Also, I apologize but I didnt take that many pictures of every step involved. Heck I didnt plan on making a write up about it until I was halfway through(posted up on a local forum) One last thing is, this is for dual cam p/s systems! Your extras needed might be more or less!

Parts:Part number 911401 from autozoneratchet(duh)3/8ths drive 10mm1/4 drive 8mm(depending on your hose clamps)philips head screwdrivera few extensions4.5 more feet of hose for oil use(Must be for oil or it may swell, leak, blow, etc)ATF (I used about a quart, you may need more depending on how big your cooler is, how much you drain out, or if you are putting p/s on for the first time)

When you buy the cooler from autozone it will come with the following:Cooler(duh)4.5 feet of oil resistant hose4 hose clamps4 radiator zipties8 i think foam pads1 transmission fitting(not used)Now the fun begins.

First you need to take your bumper off. Mine was bolted on, yours may be held on with zipties, wire, ductape, whatever. Just take your bumper off so you can expose your mounting area. The hard part is where to mount it. There are many options so this part I will leave to you.The most obvious is to mount it to the radiator using the supplied hardware. Otherwise you will have to get creative.Here is what I ended up doing: Before you do mount it put the lines on and tighten the clamps. Easiest way to do it is put some ATF in the hose so it slides on more easily as it is a tight fit!Afterwards take off your intake/filter/maf as one by the hose clamp holding it onto the turbo inlet and set it aside.Next thing to do is put a drain pan under the driver front corner to catch the fluid that will come out. Depending on how low your car is, you may need to jack it up.

I reccomend pulling the line off of the bottom first so you can neatly drain the fluid and not have it all over that side of your engine bay. Here are the stock lines:The line we are putting this on is the one on the left in the picture. This is the return line from the rack. After the fluid is drained take the stock line off completly. Slide your hose clamps over the hose then slide each end in place of the stock line. It should look something like this:Its hard to see the line going to the hardline, but its there. Make sure the way you route your hoses does not come close to rubbing anything abrasive or near the belts. With the way I mounted my cooler, I used 2x 4.5ft length of hose and it was just about perfect. You may not need another 4.5 feet of it if you mount it closer to the driver side, but I dont think 4.5 ft alone will cut it. Tighten the clamps up and fill with fluid. Now your ready to start it up and bleed the p/s system. This shouldnt take too long as we didnt drain the whole system out. Slowly turn the wheel back and forth and check the fluid and keep it topped off.Now you just need to put your bumper back on and your done!Here is my finished setup:Total time including mounting: 45minutes. And thats being generous.Total $ spent 35(thanks to a friend, got a few $ off the cooler) Cooler retails for like 31-32$. So either way its around 35$ depending on the length of hose you use.

Additional notes:Part numner 911009 is half the size as mine and about 19$ but it will probably be special order.Be sure to mount the cooler lower than the reservoir otherwise you may have problems with the res. overflowing. It would be hard to mount it higher on our cars, but just keep that in mind.Also, MAKE SURE!!!!! If you get more hose that it is rated to carry hot oil! Otherwise it may swell, leak, and or blow.Other Coolers you can get:Also FYI the one I bought is the smallest cooler I found in stock at autozone that didnt look too small.http://contentinfo.autozone.co...age/8/You can also get this one: http://contentinfo.autozone.co...age/8/It is about 19$ and half the size of mine with the same hardware. But you would have to special order it most likely. Part number 91109And for all of the people who love to use AN lines and what not:(quoted post from my local forum)[quote=""Forrest""]Good writeup Ty.

Here is another option just incase anybody is thinking about running AN fittings and braided hose instead of push on rubber hose. I have used this one made by permacool part # 1009

Dimensions are 5 x 7.5 x 3/4in. and it has -6 fittings made onto it. Summit sells it for $43.95

You will also need an M16x1.5 o-ring to -6AN male fitting for the rack in order to run a -6an line from it to the cooler in addition to whatever other lines and fittings needed to make your setup.

Its definitely way more expensive this way, but it makes for a little more durable setup if you are worried about the rubber hoses failing.[/quote]

Modified by LayNLow240 at 7:50 PM 2/10/2010

Modified by LayNLow240 at 7:50 PM 2/10/2010

Modified by LayNLow240 at 7:52 PM 2/10/2010

Modified by LayNLow240 at 7:55 PM 2/10/2010

Modified by LayNLow240 at 8:17 PM 2/10/2010
Modified by LayNLow240 at 10:54 PM 3/6/2010

hpballer76
Car: 97 s10 slammed dd.. 89 hatch s14 sr project...

nice write up!

is that the pbm intercooler kit?

LayNLow240

hpballer76 wrote:nice write up!

is that the pbm intercooler kit?
Yes it is! And I love it!

E7-S14
Car: ess 14 foo!

AWESOME Write up!if i ever have problems with my powrsteering fluid boiling over at the track, im referring back to your thread!

question tho.i track my car, about every two months, and by mid year, every month.would it be a good idea to do this even though i haven't boiled over my PS fluid yet?( i dont think ive boiled it over yet..) and also what are some signs that let you know your boiling over your ps fluid?

LayNLow240

E7-S14 wrote:AWESOME Write up!if i ever have problems with my powrsteering fluid boiling over at the track, im referring back to your thread!

question tho.i track my car, about every two months, and by mid year, every month.would it be a good idea to do this even though i haven't boiled over my PS fluid yet?( i dont think ive boiled it over yet..) and also what are some signs that let you know your boiling over your ps fluid?
You would know if it has boiled over. It will come out of the top of the reservoir and get all over your engine bay on that side, if its bad enough it could cause a fire. But unless your drifting or running many laps at a time I dont think you would have a problem with it.

mrgreeneyes
Car: ///M5
Parted Out Built S13 Coupe

a good write up, PSM HMIC, and a legit cooler install with pics.

bravo good sir, bravo. those HMIC kits are banging. we just did one on a local's car, response is insane. on my to-buy list for sure.

Future_gohan
Car: 91 240sx, 91 vert

front mount fo life. ha I like mine to much to change it up.

But anyway, great write up, i'll deff put this on the to do list for my track car this year

Justin35ll
Car: s13 coupe sr20det

sweet man I will be def be doing this probably this week. I had a problem last summer at the track flyuid kept coming out of the reservoir and I was losing power steering, don't want that happening again

mRodiek
Car: Stock Hatch

Great write up, definately on my list of things to do! However long that list may be

Philipio
Car: 96 240sx, 96 Miata

I didn't have any problems at the last road course track day I went to. Granted, it was 40 degrees and not 100 like it will be in the summer. Probably had close to two hours total of driving time. 30 minutes of straight lapping was the longest duration. If I have issues in the future, I'm totally doing this.

LayNLow240

Not much of an update but I went to an event on 2/20 and had p/s for only 5 laps before the high pressure line sprung a leak. Took the belt off and finished the day with no p/s. But I am going to make my own stainless p/s line as soon as parts get here and I may post a write up on it also.Also can a mod add a space between power and steering in the post title? I just now noticed that. Oops.

nwmrkt
Car: S13

hey alittle OT but, does the HMIC interfere with the popup headlight motors?

LayNLow240

nwmrkt wrote:hey alittle OT but, does the HMIC interfere with the popup headlight motors?
Yeah. Mine are always up now. Had to pull the motors and cut the headlight brackets.

Justin35ll
Car: s13 coupe sr20det

I'll post up some pics of mine today. I got the cooler and the extra hose from auto zone and mounted mine up a couple weeks ago. It's pretty sick

Return to “240sx General Discussion”