DIY: How to install a Nismo exhaust onto your 350z

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

I know, I know, easy cheesy, but I figured I'd do a "write-up" anyway since I haven't done one in a while (I'm venturing here from the 240 side, so most of you guys probably don't know me, haha).

We just finished installing my friend's Nismo exhaust on his 350z. His personal review is basically @ idle, it is much quieter, but once you get on the throttle, there is a much more deep and "racey" sound to it.

Total Install Time: 2.5 hours (being very relaxed & taking our sweet *** time). This install should be doable in 30 minutes - 1 hour for those who are motivated.

QV: "Hey Chris, I think I can fit your muffler on my 240."

Equipment Required/Recommended:- Nismo (or whatever you bought) exhaust- Replacement exhaust gaskets (2 for cat, 1 for mid-pipe, and 1 ring gasket for mid-pipe to muffler) & bolts or a Nismo exhaust gasket kit- Jack- Jack Stands- PB Blaster (especially handy for the exhaust hanger bushings- Metric socket & wrench assortment (mostly 10, 12, & 14mm)- Long screwdriver or something to help pry the hanger bushings- Breaker bar to make removing old nuts easier- Possibly a Ford Wrench... just in case something gets stuck- Metal/Aluminum polish if you wish to make things shiny- Pimp Khakis & a Dress shirt because 350z guys work on their cars in style (optional)

Step 1 - Prep- Put the car on jack stands. Chris used the front jacking point & the rear diff to raise the car. He also chose to use the jack points (the spare tire jack ones I believe) for the jack stand support area.- PB Blast the nuts/bolts if you wish. PB Blast the exhaust hanger bushings to make removal easier. Nothing like a lil lube to make it slide in & out quickly.

Jacking up the rear via the differential.

Jack stands in place.

One more view of jack stands because... why not.

Don't forget the PB Blaster.

Step 2 - Remove the old exhaust.This step is fairly straight forward:- 2 nuts for each cat to y-pipe connection- 2 nuts for the y-pipe to mid pipe connection- 3 nuts for the mid-pipe to muffler connection (one side is double nutted for the ground wire connected to the exhaust)- 1 bolt for the rear exhaust hanger bushing

The toughest part here was getting the muffler off the exhaust hanger bushings. With 2 people (or 1 person and a jack), pry away @ the bushing against the muffler pipe after spraying it down with some PB Blaster.

Also, be careful w/ stripping nuts - I would highly recommend using 6-pt sockets/wrenches.

Removing the bolts from the y-pipe

Mid-pipe removed

Fondling - err, I mean, removing - the muffler

Step 3 - Install the new exhaustReverse of removal. I would recommend PB Blasting the exhaust hangers a little more if you haven't already, makes install that much easier. The Nismo exhaust comes with a separate grounding point on the muffler that uses a 10mm bolt & nut, very spiffy.

Driver side muffler - notice the new grounding point for the exhaust ground wire

Passenger side exhaust hanger - this one was a PITA to get out at first

Passenger rear exhaust hanger - we found it easier to remove the bolt holding it in rather than trying to slip the muffler out of the hanger

Mid-pipe bolted back up

Bolting the y-pipe back up

View of Nismo mid-pipe & y-pipe - sexxxy

Step 4 - Clean Up- Polish/clean up the exhaust if you wish- Lower car- Put away tools- Start car up and pat yourself on the back for a job well done

Crazy Eyes Chris says "This is the best polish evars!"

"Damn QV left finger prints all over my muffler." *polish polish polish*

We even made a video - the video actually sounds quite louder than what the Nismo exhaust sounds like in person, haha - it's quieter than stock @ idle.

Can't embed video on Nico... I have the full write up on my site:Nismo Exhaust Install on 350z

nterrigno
Car: 2005 Nissan 350Z (Enthusiast)

Very Nice! Im buying the exhaust this weekend and this will help me a ton. Thank you so much!!!

bmike818
Car: 2007 Z

This looks so easy. (famous last words)

onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

I'm "almost" inclined to say it was easier than doin my 240 exhaust swap

- nice clean under body- no rusted nuts/bolts- I guess having 2 people didn't hurt either

rmezz13
Car: Had 2004.5 Nissan 350z
Have 96 f250 and mommas 07 Murano

Very good write up, i will put a link in the 350Z FAQ & General Info thread....

Oh and this made me giggle!
onosqv wrote:- no rusted nuts
onosqv wrote:- PB Blast the nuts. Nothing like a lil lube to make it slide in & out quickly.

Mr. Z33
Car: 2003 Pearl White 350Z

Good write up man! This will help me a bunch when I put my Nismo Exhaust on today!

sluggoZ
Car: 2004.5 350Z SuperBlack/Black Touring Roadster

Yep....very nice write-up! Thanks!

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”