DIY - AeroCatch Install on a CF Hood

All things Altima Coupe.
dangeris
Car: 08 Code Red 3.5
08 BMW 328xi Coupe
90 300ZX 2+0 NA

I know there is a write up on the 240 forums on the aero catch but this write up is specifically for the Altima coupe / sedan. So here it goes. I am starting it on the 1st Gen section but will later move it to the Exterior Mod section.

Overview: This is a DIY install guide for the AeroCatch Flush Mounted Hood Pins.

Difficulty 2

Tiime 1 - 2 hours

Tools Needed: DremelCordless DrillPainter's tape13/64 Drill Bit & 3/16 Drill BitDremel Cut Off WheelDremel Spiral Cut bitgreaseTape Measure7mm socket 2.5 Hex wrenchblack fine point Sharpiecloth tarp or drop cloth

An additional product that you should purchase before doing this install is the Password JDM Aerocatch mounting plates. This plate takes the place of the small fender washers and nuts that are used for the install. As you can see from the pics below, the surface area is much greated than the nuts and washers provided thus giving it added strength.

I did not have these at the time of install but I wish I did.

************************************************************** DISCLAIMER

These procedures are meant for someone with decent mechanical knowledge. If you are unsure or have never worked on your vehicle before, then seek help... either from a fellow mechanic or someone who is familiar in modifying cars. Otherwise do no attempt this on your own! If in doubt then leave it for the professionals.**************************************************************

So let's start this install. Here is what you'll need:The AeroCatch Flush Mount Hood Pin

Grease and Painter's tape

Drill Bit a little bit bigger than the Hood Pin itself and a drill bit for the bolts that will hold it down.

There's a couple of more things but I've listed them above.

Step 1:

Locate the area where the OEM hood bumper hit. They are at the end of the radiator support. Once you locate them find the center and mark it your sharpie with an "X" and drill a pilot hole

Once you drill the pilot hole, enlarge the hole with the 13/64 Drill bit. Make sure you drill through the top and bottom support. Once your done, install the hood pin BUT ONLY through the top support.

Close the hood carefully to locate where the hood pin will be striking.

Take your drop cloth and cover your engine bay. This will keep it from getting too dirty from all of the cut off debris.

With your handy dandy dremel and spiral cut bit, cut out a portion of the hood underneath. You will need to do this so you can access the nuts that will be installed to fasten down the AeroCatch.

Once you have both sides cut out, blow off the residue and install a piece of painter's tape underneath the hood.

Next, kind of eyeball where the hood pin will be going through and tape off the top of the hood with the painter's tape.

Now, dab a little grease on the top of the hood pin and slowly close the hood until they both touch. Then lift up on the hood and you'll see where the grease mark is. This is where you will drill your hole.

With the hood up, drill a pilot where the grease mark is and enlarge it with the bigger drill bit. Slowly lower the hood until the hood pin is through the hood.

Now take the latch and place it over the hood pin and align it on the hood. MAKE SURE THE NARROW END IS FACING DOWN!

Do this on both sides. When you are satisfied of the placement and angle of the latches, take your sharpie and trace the outline of the catch on the tape. I used the cardboard that came with the catch to make a more defined line.

Once you have the outline, With your dremel, cut the straight line. Once the line is cut, use the spiral to cut the curves. Test fit the latch until it sits properly in the hole. Mark the 6 holes with your sharpie. Drill the holes out with the 3/16 drill bit. Be careful that the drill bit doesn't "walk" off as you're drilling.

Here's a shot of how it looks after you have the latch installed from the bottom.

Before installing the latch, lubricate it with WD-40. Once that is done, place it in the hole and use a 7mm socket and 2.5 hex wrench to do install the nut, washer and bolt.

Now adjust the hood pin till it is 2.25 from the top of the nut.

After the height adjustment, slowly lower the hood and close it. Open and close the latch a couple of time to ensure that there is no rubbing. Once satisfied, install the rubber bumpers over the hood pins.

You are now done so enjoy the Hood Latch.

Here's a video of how it latches look and operate.

http://s27.photobucket.com/alb...1.flv

Altima1992
Car: Dark Slate Altima Couper

One of the cleanist jobs on possibly anything. Great write up.

PHENOMenalVinyl
Car: 08 altima coupe 2.5 mt

great writeup but um y did u change ur lights again?????????????????......also in case u wanna make me a custom title since u already have one itd be great......"King Of Lights"....thanks

2008AltiCoupeDan
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5s - Gone, 2008 Subaru WRX Premium - built

yeah i 2nd tht- where r ur lights lol

and AAA++++ job D nice and clean

Bmore-coupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 3.5

2008AltiCoupeDan wrote:yeah i 2nd tht- where r ur lights lol

and AAA++++ job D nice and clean

Rob.Vegan
Car: 08 2.5S Altima Coupe 76 Datsun 280z (not running)

Wonderful job and great write up, pretty ballsy cutting through that brand new carbon fiber hood

I 3rd on the lights ???

dangeris
08 BMW 328xi Coupe
90 300ZX 2+0 NA

Yeah, I felt like I was doing surgery on my kid when I was cutting thru the hood and yes my stock lights are back on because I'm doing some improvements on the lights. Actually, one of the LEDs in the strip was flickering and was annoying the crap out of me so I took it off. Oznium sent out free replacements so I'm waiting to install them. Using the the 3M strip caulk makes a big difference in opening and re-sealing the lights.

08Coupe
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe

Looks good, and nice work!

On a side note have you added up the cost of all your mods? lol I bet your well over $50K with the cost of the car

dldjros69
Car: 2012 Evo Gsr
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

Difficulty 2???

2 out of what 3?

This looks hard as he77. Nice job, very clean.

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

Nice!

dangeris
08 BMW 328xi Coupe
90 300ZX 2+0 NA

dldjros69 wrote:Difficulty 2???

2 out of what 3?

This looks hard as he77. Nice job, very clean.
I guess for you Danny this would be a difficulty level of 20

ItsEcko06

dangeris wrote:Yeah, I felt like I was doing surgery on my kid when I was cutting thru the hood
yea i started to say to myself, I HOPE HE'S NOT GONNA CUT UP THAT PRETTY CF HOOD OF HIS!!but looks great, glad everything went smoothly

dldjros69
Car: 2012 Evo Gsr
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

dangeris wrote:
I guess for you Danny this would be a difficulty level of 20
No really - on a scale from 1 to 10 this seems like a 7 or 8. 1 being the installation of an intake, and 10 being an engine swap or a turbo application.

Haha r u callin me stupid lol

mcheddadi
Car: R8

Great DIY! CUSTOM TITLE GET!!!...oh wait lool

great job!

ESP
Car: 2008 SexyBlack A/C

Dangeris, thanks man! The thing I was most curious about was the placement of the pins themselves...I had figured this was the most logical place for them, but since the aerocatch locks are so bloody long I wasn't too sure if they'd lay perfectly flat being so close to the curving front of the hood. That being said, do they lay perfectly flat?

Regardless...

Now if only Canadian custom would let me have my hood!!! It was supposed to be here today... *pout*

dangeris
08 BMW 328xi Coupe
90 300ZX 2+0 NA

Just be careful when you are drilling the holes for the pins themselves. You'll notice when you install the hood pins on the first support, the pins will be on a slight angle; just as the base is. When you drill the second hole, make sure you keep that angle or your pin will not line up with the latch. You'll need a box and a open end wrench to tighten everything up.

maxentropy
Car: '08 Altima Coupe 3.5SE

dangeris wrote:I guess for you Danny this would be a difficulty level of 20
lololololol

Looks great Darryl!!!

toxik
Car: 09 Pearl White 370z

dangeris wrote:Yeah, I felt like I was doing surgery on my kid when I was cutting thru the hood and yes my stock lights are back on because I'm doing some improvements on the lights. Actually, one of the LEDs in the strip was flickering and was annoying the crap out of me so I took it off. Oznium sent out free replacements so I'm waiting to install them. Using the the 3M strip caulk makes a big difference in opening and re-sealing the lights.
lol darryl i hope i didnt jinx your oznium strips when we spoke at carlisle and i said that was gonna happen haha

bravey_z12
Car: 2.5 6spds A/C [azure blue]

i wanna see ur car in person so bad well, if i move up to VA ,i might have a chance to c u

stsxcrle

+1 Million points

(the points don't matter, but still that's a lot of points)

Bmore-coupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 3.5

bravey_z12 wrote: i wanna see ur car in person so bad well, if i move up to VA ,i might have a chance to c u
It was nice a couple months ago when I saw it at Carlisle, but so much has been done since, its a whole new car again.

sadly, mine's still the same

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

dldjros69 wrote:
No really - on a scale from 1 to 10 this seems like a 7 or 8. 1 being the installation of an intake, and 10 being an engine swap or a turbo application.

Haha r u callin me stupid lol
Hahahahah

Dude, no way its a 7 or an 8.. You dont need special toolsYou can do it yourself (no friend needed)There is no electrical workNo "problem areas"

The only way it could be easier is if it came already attached to the hood lol... Djdlross you gotta step your game up son, stop feeing all the melons in the produce section!

mikegtr06
Car: 1995 180sx

can you post some pics from diferent angles so we can see how flush they really are ???

Heels1010

great write up. it must have been so hard to cut into the carbon fiber hood. I would be so nervous something would go wrong. Just slicing into a new sexy carbon fiber hood gets my heart pumping lol

ESP
Car: 2008 SexyBlack A/C

mikegtr06 wrote:can you post some pics from diferent angles so we can see how flush they really are ???

I agree with Heels1010 though...it's gonna be nervewracking slicing into brand new sexy CF...

dangeris
08 BMW 328xi Coupe
90 300ZX 2+0 NA

Yeah it was very nerve racking! I was sweating so bad you'd think I was a dis-arming a nuclear war head or something.. I'll take more close up pics of it tonight and post up.

surmanm
Car: 2008 nissan altima coupe 3.5 se

yooo buddy were do i order them from gota get them asap

dangeris
08 BMW 328xi Coupe
90 300ZX 2+0 NA

surmanm wrote:yooo buddy were do i order them from gota get them asap
Got them from a supporting Nico vendor. Just click the blinking search button and type in aerocatch. I believe they are the first post. $98 delivered.

dangeris
08 BMW 328xi Coupe
90 300ZX 2+0 NA

mikegtr06 wrote:can you post some pics from different angles so we can see how flush they really are ???
Here you go boys.... Sorry about the quality, I took it from my phone..

As you can see it sits pretty flush and I noticed a lot less bouncing on the hood at higher speeds ( 80mph+)

Nissan 4 LIFE
Car: 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL CVT Sedan Radiant Silver

Hey Darryl good job on that writeup...I actually did mine a few weeks ago but I used the Password JDM backing plates which is waay more solid than just using the nuts and washers and my setup was done exactly like yours. With the angles that you are using do you notice it getting easier the more you open and close the hood...mine was basically real snug due to the angle of the pins at first but I guess the latches wear down just a little and its much easier now. I'm also not using my factory hood latch and it really makes it all the while easier to close now.

Excellent writeup!

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”