Dirt under the doors

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

I know there is another post on this issue, but I cant find it. I also noticed the weatherstripping on the bottom inside of the door causes dirt to collect on the body of the car where the stripping hits the body. Our Rogue is only one month old and its already starting to show scratches of where the dirts rubs againts the body. I bought some weatherstripping and see if this will stop the dirt from collecting.On a site note, I have leather seats and the driver seat already shows wear and tear. One specific spot looks like the leather is wrinkled. Fortunately I am on really good terms with the service manager and he ordered a new insert for the seat.

Paul

philipa_240sx

The original post is here:

zer...08551

Superdave54
Car: 2008 Rogue

I have posted in several other threads on this subject.

I recognized the dirt problem right away and my door sill paint getting chewed up.

I bought some EPDM, 1/2" square automotive weather stripping with pressure sensitive adhesive on one side. I slid underneath the car and cleaned up the area and attached the weather strip to the body in the gap between the door bottom moulding and the door sill.

No more dirt and grit packs itself in and chews up the paint now.

wbloomfield
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Superdave54 wrote:I have posted in several other threads on this subject.

I recognized the dirt problem right away and my door sill paint getting chewed up.

I bought some EPDM, 1/2" square automotive weather stripping with pressure sensitive adhesive on one side. I slid underneath the car and cleaned up the area and attached the weather strip to the body in the gap between the door bottom moulding and the door sill.

No more dirt and grit packs itself in and chews up the paint now.
Could you please post some photos of your fix... I have the same problem too. I have noticed something too when I crawled under to take a look.. It seems like it's only doing it fron the front doors. If you look closer at that whole molding on the front door, it's kinda like a V molding. With one exception, there is a weather strip(one sided self stick)that looks like a 1/4" wide that goes inbetween the V. It's does not go the full lenth of the door molding either. Maybe just 8 inches towards the back of the front doors. This is where its scrapping on my car. Both sides are the same. Maybe that weather strip should be removed which will put less pressure on V strip, thus stopping the grinding if grit gets in. Both of my back doors do not have this extra 1/4 one side self stick molding. I think that why they are not damaged.

wbloomfield

paulvanharte wrote:I know there is another post on this issue, but I cant find it. I also noticed the weatherstripping on the bottom inside of the door causes dirt to collect on the body of the car where the stripping hits the body. Our Rogue is only one month old and its already starting to show scratches of where the dirts rubs againts the body. I bought some weatherstripping and see if this will stop the dirt from collecting.On a site note, I have leather seats and the driver seat already shows wear and tear. One specific spot looks like the leather is wrinkled. Fortunately I am on really good terms with the service manager and he ordered a new insert for the seat.

Paul
Do you think the dealership would cover the repair of damage done by this poor engineering(door sill)defect?? Did you get them to fix yours(repaint)??

wbloomfield

wbloomfield wrote:
Do you think the dealership would cover the repair of damage done by this poor engineering(door sill)defect?? Did you get them to fix yours(repaint)??
I was getting P.O'ed by the scratches on both sides of my car so I stopped by my Nissan dealer(d!ck Scott, Canton Michigan). They told me that I was the first to complain about this happening to me. They agreed there is a defect which they do not have a fix for. They said, "they would take some photos and send it to Nissan". Now I wait?? I showed them that small 1/4" foam molding at the bottom of both my front doors that I believe is the cause of the whole problem. It puts extra pressure(to seal better)on about 8" of the main seal at the bottom of the door. I still maintane that if you remove that foam sealer, you will fix the problem. The dealer says if they did it then I might get air leaks. I don't know....

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

I, too, have noticed the dirt. I've just been wiping it off. After checking the forums, it seems like a design problem. Nissan should come up with a solution under the warantee. I wouldn't remove, cut, or reroute any weather stripping and see what Nissan decides to do. I'm off to my dealer tomorrow to report the problem. Just to be on the record, ya know.

mistergib
Car: 2008 Silver Nissan Rogue AWD SL

I just checked mine...(1400mi on the odo), and I've got the scratchingtoo, so I will go to the dealership and report it also. Maybe we can getsome action on this before bare metal shows all the way down.

One possible fix would be, that before the scratches get really bad, to goto a shop that installs tint and those clear bug guards and get them to cutand apply a clear, narrow strip under each front door. Thats about the onlyfix I can think of?? What say you?

I will investigate and see what the cost would be and post it for all.

paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

I was thinking about the clear guard stuff as well, but decided to just use the weatherstripping. Benefit to that is that it actually keeps the dirt from collecting on the doorsill.I also sent some pics to the service manager and he said he would show them to the Nissan rep. I will keep you posted.

Paul

mistergib

...your idea sounds ok too, as long as that weatherstripdoesn't look odd, and it may not, but the clear strip won'tshow at all, so me, being as anal-retentive as I am, I'm taking a different route...........

I've decided that I'm not wait'n around forNissan to decide whether or not to issue a recall/fixon this problem....by then, all the paint will bescratched down to bare metal!

So, tomorrow, I'm head'n down to my friend thatdoes window tinting and clear bras and have himapply a 42" x 1.5" clear strip under each frontdoor. That ought to cure the problem forever!Then, even if dirt does get up in there, it won'tscratch anything with that clear strip there.

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

Won't it really scratch up the clear strip? Or would you just replace it as needed?

mistergib

cdmuile wrote:Won't it really scratch up the clear strip? Or would you just replace it as needed?
yeah, it may put a few scratches on the clear strip, but its hidden underthe door anyway.....but the MAIN thing is that rust won't be able to set in,thats THE reason for doing it in the first place. And also, the scratches onclear strip would not stand out like the scratches down to bare metal onthe paint...agreed? I just don't want any body cancer to have a startingpoint.Scratches on the clear strip is most definitely the lesser of the two evils!!!
Modified by mistergib at 7:20 AM 4/8/2008

philipa_240sx

mistergib wrote:So, tomorrow, I'm head'n down to my friend thatdoes window tinting and clear bras and have himapply a 42" x 1.5" clear strip under each frontdoor. That ought to cure the problem forever!Then, even if dirt does get up in there, it won'tscratch anything with that clear strip there.
Exactly what I plan on doing. I wanted to wrap it right underneath to protect the rocker panel as well. I occasionally drive gravel roads and the extra protection would be nice.

mistergib

I'm with ya there...if drove the gravel, I'd wrap it too, but its reallynot a problem with me......I just don't want to see scratches and rusteverytime I open one of my front doors. I want to stop it now beforeit really gets noticeable!

I am still planning on registering this with the dealership so that itcreates another record of it....
Modified by mistergib at 7:39 AM 4/8/2008

mistergib

just got back from making an appointment at theclear bra shop for in the morning at 8:30...the cost is $20 a side...I'm do'n it!

mistergib

Just got back from the clear bra shop having himinstall the clear strip on both sides, (fronts only).I'd post pics, but they blend so well that you can'tsee them.....$20 a side...

I figure this will stop the damage forever, or, for atleast as long as it takes for Nissan to recognizethe problem and issue a TSB/recall. Anyway, I cannow quit worrying about it....

One added note: I believe that the debris gets under the front doors from the track of the front wheels, the only reasonthat the rear doors have remained immune to the damage is that the front wheels can't throw much ofthe debris that far rearward, or, what debris does getthrown rearward hits at the wrong angle to be able toget under the rear doors?....so, maybe after more of an extended length of driving time, some scratchingmay still occur under the rear doors.....it just takeslonger to show up.....something to keep in mind.

(Oh, I also took a trip to the dealership and registeredthis possible defect, so you guys do it too....again,there is power in numbers. They were unaware of theproblem.)

good luck y'all...

Modified by mistergib at 3:51 PM 4/9/2008

RogueSeeker
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD & 1997 Ford F-150

Could someone post a pic and add a pointer to where the dirt buildup occurs? I've followed this thread for a while and I have kept looking for it on my Rogue, but I'm not seeing it. Mine is still new with just over 1000 miles on it, so I may not be due for it to be noticeable yet. I'd like to stay ahead of it if I could.

mistergib

RogueSeeker wrote:Could someone post a pic and add a pointer to where the dirt buildup occurs? I've followed this thread for a while and I have kept looking for it on my Rogue, but I'm not seeing it. Mine is still new with just over 1000 miles on it, so I may not be due for it to be noticeable yet. I'd like to stay ahead of it if I could.
I have a couple of pictures that I took, but, the lighting was terrible when I took them...but one does show the location on the front doorframes where the scratches happen, and the other picture shows which weatherstrip on the door that the debris gets caught between.I only have under 1500 mi on mine and had scratches on both sides,the passenger side being the worst. I feel that if I had not stopped itnow, with the clear strips that I had put on yesterday, that, by 5000mi, it would have had very deep, down to the metal scratches, all down the length of the door frame. (..the pictures are that taken are my front passenger side...)

Anyway, go to this link:

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee190/mistergib/

Its the first two pictures.

Gib

Ryepow

Inside the red box on this picture is the problem area. Mainly on the right side. If you look closely you can begin to see the scratching has started inside the red box on my Rogue also. I have been trying to keep this area as clean as possible. I have seen signs of this happening on all four doors. Front doors the worst however.

mistergib

...finally someone with a better picture than mine...

I only have 1500mi on mine, so no back door scratching is visibleas yet, but, if you say that you are seeing the start of it, then, I'm gonna go ahead and have the clear strips added under the reardoors too......

As I stated in my earlier post, I too, thought it would just take more driving time for the scratching under the rear doors to show upsince they are not as directly hit with debris from the track of thefront wheels.....you just verified that assumption.

philipa_240sx

It happens with the rear doors as well although nowhere near as bad.

Ryepow

I only have 750 miles on mine and wouldn't have noticed it until I read this thread or when it was too late. I think because I have a darker color (gotham gray) is why it is already showing up compared to a lighter color such as silver or white. Hopefully Nissan does something about it.

mistergib

....I FEEL CONFIDENT THAT IF YOU DON'T HAVE, AT LEAST, THE FRONTSPLASH GUARDS ON YOUR CAR, THAT THIS PROBLEM WOULD BE GREATLYACCELERATED AND COMPOUNDED!

philipa_240sx

My Rogue (all Rogues sold in Canada for that matter) has front & rear splash guards. I still got the sand, salt and dirt from winter driving trapped in the weatherstipping and the resultant scratches.
mistergib wrote:....I FEEL CONFIDENT...
All caps is considered yelling on a forum. Please use them with care. ;-)

mistergib

philipa_240sx wrote:My Rogue (all Rogues sold in Canada for that matter) has front & rear splash guards. I still got the sand, salt and dirt from winter driving trapped in the weatherstipping and the resultant scratches.

All caps is considered yelling on a forum. Please use them with care. ;-)
I didn't realize this rule existed because caps should be taken in context.In my usage, just who would I have been yelling at or about, I wasemphasizing, that's all, and that's what it looked like since nobody else had said this statement before...so it couldn't have been yelling?? caps isalso how you emphasize, I thought... Anyway, I don't get on forums to getemotional, really. Geez...if being on a forum would make me want to yell,I'd quit the forum first! Life's just too short!

...so, to put this puppy to bed......for those out there that are unable toread contextually and discern the meaning, I wasn't yelling.....I'm trying to be an asset to this forum, not a liability...

Modified by mistergib at 4:44 PM 4/10/2008
Modified by mistergib at 5:14 PM 4/10/2008

jsellberg
Car: '08 rogue iridium graphite sl awd premium

my car has front and rear splash guards and i just went and looked. its on my driver and passenger side, though the passenger side is worse, which is weird because i rarely have a passenger. what do i say when i go in to report it?

mistergib

I just went in to the service dept. and told them I wanted to registera possible defect...I told the person that it was all over the Rogue forumson the internet and that some dealerships recommended that all of owners contact/register this with their dealers to give credence for Nissan to issue a TSB/recall.

I showed that person the cause and result of the problem.

I don't know if you can do anymore than that??? One thing, try to dothis with the service manager.

RogueSeeker
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD & 1997 Ford F-150

Thanks so much for the pics. I'm gonna check mine out tomorrow.

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

I thought that I might not have this problem with the different road condtions in the south, but now I am starting to see the scratches on my Rogue. Do you guys see any problem using either of these two products?

Bike frame protector tape: http://www.coloradocyclist.com...VGY4KI have used this on my road bike it is a pretty thick gauge.

or Trimbrite BodyGuard Protection Film http://www.autobarn.net/trit9020series.htmlThis would have to be cut to thinner strips.

philipa_240sx

Given the choice, I would stick with the automotive product from Trimbrite. Use a straightedge and razor blade to cut the strips.

Return to “Rogue Forum”