Denso Spark Plug 14 mm socket ???

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

Anyone knows where to get a thin wall Magnetic 14 mm socket for replacing our VQ35HR spark plug? The Denso spark plug is very thin and I heard that a regular deep socket will not fit in the spark plug cylinder hole.

Should a 12 point socket ok to use vs 6 point?

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

Does a spark plug socket for the VQ35HR require a magnet for some specific reason, or will other methods for retaining the plug suffice?

I saw a few on amazon. (availability of specialty products is one of the many reason's I can't stop myself from shopping there)
http://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-2376-So ... B00EDN3V0G
http://www.amazon.com/14mm-Spark-Plug-S ... B008CGYZIM
Also found it here:
http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/12-poin ... ocket-14mm

A local auto parts chain may have one, but I don't know which stores have set up shop in your area.

Unless the VQ35HR has a reputation for stuck or heavily corroded spark plug threads, I think that a 12 point socket should be fine. Also, at least on the vehicles I've owned, I have never seen any required torque values that concerned me enough about rounding off the hex portion of the plug.

Before you take on the job, I wanted to offer you a little tip: For a bit of insurance, I like to tape my spark plug socket and extensions together so that they don't get 'stuck' in the spark plug hole; the socket sometimes does a better job holding onto the plug than to the extension when I try to remove the assembly and the tape keeps everything together. I don't quite know how deep the spark plug holes are in this engine, but on my other cars the holes were deep enough for a potential headache.

Please share some pics when you do this job. :)

AWGD8

Thanks NJ for the response.

I just ordered this today...

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/BMW_N54_T ... ES2561145/

I prefer a magnetic type , a lot easier to hand tight and torque to specs. No worries to drop the spark plug and break the insulator etc... I will clean the throttle bodies too (my 2nd time cleaning it). We need to remove the throttle bodies and intake tubing to gain access to the rear spark plugs. (No need to remove the intake manifold and the air filter box.

Cleaning the throttle bodies alone smoothen the acceleration. I can't imagine replacing the spark plug too! Gain more power??? Car is 70K miles now..

AWGD8

Update: I just received the 14mm Magnetic socket and it perfectly fits to our Denso spark plug that is so thin....The magnet hole inside is big enough for the spark plug to go through. No more dropping of spark plug. :woot:

AWGD8

NJGUY: Thanks for the tips.

The 14mm Magnetic socket works flawlessly! I highly recommend this socket. First, No dropping of spark plug. Second is you could feel the socket is in all the way to the spark plug when you hand torque them. (I torque the plug at 14 ft-ib) .

I find this procedure very easy to do if you have the right tool. The throttle cleaning is actually harder, since I only use a q-tips cleaning the gunk! This is my second time cleaning the throttle bodies. It is probably easier to clean it if you totally disconnect the tubing , and cleaning the throttle bodies on the floor, but this tubing are tight, so I went ahead and change my spark plug then at the same time spraying the throttle bodies with cleaner in between so it dissolve the junk. I did the throttle body cleaning one side at a time and also one spark plug at a time too. Over all my lower back hurts as I was leaning for a longer period of time cleaning the throttle bodies. (And boy! I really did take my time! )

Spark Plug change:

Remove Negative battery connection first...
1) Remove Engine cover ( 5x 10mm socket)
2) Remove intake tubing (after MAF sensor towards throttle body) Leave the airfilter box as is. You need to remove any small tubing connected to the main Air Intake tube.
3) Remove 4 allen type screw on the Throttle bodies
4) Remove one electric connector on the throttle body. (Option to remove the 2 rubber hose on the throttle body so you can clean them on the floor and save your back. (use q-tips to clean and do not open the throttle plates - search online for g35/37 forum, it is a big headache to do that)
5) After removing the throttle body on one side, you`ll have access to the spark plug connectors. Those connectors are held by 10mm bolts. So remove them and unplug the electrical harness too. You`lll have a access to the spark plug. it is deep and tight! (You need to have the type of setup that I use since the rear plugs are farther and deeper at the back and you need longer extension.

6) I did put anti seized lube to the sparkplug tread and hand torque them then used torque wrench at 14 ft-ib. Be careful of the 10mm connector bolts, the manual says 76 or something ft-ib of torque for a 10mm :biggrin: These 10mm bolts do not need that much. I would say less than 10 ft-ib.
7) Do the procedure in reverse. :dblthumb:

Tool setup : Removing the plug I use a regular wrench and installing it, I used a torque wrench from Harbor Freight.

Throttle body is out! Now you have better access to the 3 spark plugs... Sorry for the dirty engine bay... YUCK! :lolling: That will be my next project :dblthumb:

You need that 3/8 swiveling adapter . Without it, this is how it looks like at the rear spark plug. You can remove the Plastic covering wall for the brake master cylinder , but I was lazy and the 3/8 adapter is easier.

Again, this SHI.! really WORKS! :biggrin:

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/BMW_N54_T ... ES2561145/

BTW, No engine codes or problem. I did a quick Idle Relearn -- (Turn on KEY ignition 2 secs and Off 10 secs. something like that) The idle RPM will be high at first (2K) on start up and will settle down to normal. DANG! cars run smoothly!

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

Thanks for the pics and the tips!
AWGD8 wrote: 6) I did put anti seized lube to the sparkplug tread and hand torque them then used torque wrench at 14 ft-ib. Be careful of the 10mm connector bolts, the manual says 76 or something ft-ib of torque for a 10mm :biggrin: These 10mm bolts do not need that much. I would say less than 10 ft-ib.
Perhaps there's a typo or error in the service manual for those 10mm bolts. A torque recommendation for fasteners of that size would probably be about 76 in-lb, not ft-lb; so that would translate to a bit over 6 ft-lb. The 14 ft-lb for the plugs themselves does sound about right though.

AWGD8

Yeah, big typo error there...!

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”