Decoding Nissan Vin numbers

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

With the registry that we are working on, I have been starting to reseach vin numbers in a little more detail.

For example.. I found that the serial number (last 6 digits) of all Nissan 240sx convertibles fall into the following pattern depending on model year.

1992.... 10XXXX1993.... 20XXXX1994.... 21XXXX

So, I started researching a little more and found this page... http://www.vehicle-history.com....html

Here's a pretty cool chart.

All VIN numbers are 17 digits.

So for Nissan 240sx 'verts... All start with the same 6 numbers/letters. JN3MS3

1.) J = Manufactured in Japan2.) N = Nissan3.) 3 = Convertible4.) M = Engine Code for KA24de5-6.) S 3 = Chassis Code... S13

7.) Next is the Body Type... 1992's all have a 61993 and 1994 all have a 7 I'm not sure why they differ.. perhaps the classification criteria changed between years?

8.) Next is safety... All are " A "... standing for convertible with belts and air bags.

9.) Next is what the chart refers to as a "Check Digit"... At this point, I have no idea what this refers to. My hunch is something to do with color of the exterior.

10.) Model Year - 1992 = N1993 = P1994 = R

11.) Manufacturing plant codeAll Nissan 'verts were originally manufactured in Kyushyu - W *though they were modified for final sale elsewhere*

The final 6 are serial #'s of the car itself. 12 - 13.) All '92 models appear to be 1 0. All '93 Models appear to be 2 0. All '94 Models appear to be 2 1.

14 - 17.) The number assigned to your vehicle as it rolled off the line. I would assume this would be chronological according to the order in which they were built... But I am not positive about that.

So, there you have it... the mystery of the VIN number is solved... almost.

Modified by Eikon at 9:00 PM 3/24/2006

TurboChargedSE-R
Car: 1993 SE-R with a BIG turbo, 1993 240sx convertible with KA24DE-T

I've noticed that -for the most part- our 'vert VINs are usually low serial numbers. Mine ends in "1313", and there's only one other in the registry thread that is above "1000".

Interesting stuff.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Yes. As I said, I beleive the last four numbers (serial numbers) refer to the order the car came off the line.

I would guess that you have one of the later cars to roll off the line. Perhaps they made less than 2000 each year. I think even less than that though.

Mr. Foully

Excellent work young man!

Fewer than 2000 would be great, in fact, the fewer the better, as long as I've already got one.

Having the convertible-specific prefix # shows that they were destined to become convertibles before they were built, not just excess coupes.

I've got a call in to ASC to see if they can provide production figures. The guy was friendly and was aware of the "cult status" our cars are attaining but he didn't sound very optimistic that he'd be able to find them.

This registry project may tell us almost as much. Since industrious young Mr. Eikon has established the starting point for each year, the search is on for the highest VIN from each. Except for units that didn't make the full conversion (prototypes, test vehicles, errors), we should get a pretty good idea of production totals.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”