Decided to get an R32...

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
sponaugle

I have an lightly modded 750whp R35 GT-R (see : http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/112 ... s-of-data/ ), but I decided it would be fun to get an R32 project car. With the R32s coming in under the 25 year rule, there are lots of options.

I found one (in Japan), a 1990 R32 with only 70k km, along with a few upgrades.

I was curious to hear some feedback about a few of them.

Using google translate, here are the key ones:

BNR34N1 engine
Tomei Ponkamu
Tomei head gasket 1.2mm
Tomei turbine outlet
BNR34 Gold Brembo
R34 turbine
R34 injector
Tomei INEX slot gasket
Mines VX-ROM
HKS air cleaner
nismo sport clutch
KIT oil catch tank
intake pipe buffing copper two-layer radiator
RS-R muffler
R slit rotor
harmonic drive nismo
Mines 320km meter

It was interesting to me because it appears to have an R34 N1 engine block. The pictures show the regular black valve cover, so I assume it is the R34 N1 block and the original R32 heads. I assume R34 turbine means R34 turbochargers, which is a nice upgrade. It also has R34 injectors, although they are the same size as the stock R32 ones.

"Tomei Ponkamu " must mean Tomei Poncams, although no way to know which ones until I take them out and measure them.

Once I get the car, the first thing I'll change out is the ECU. I will probably put in a Vipec, as I have a couple of Vipecs in my other cars.

Any comments?

Cheers,

Jeff

tone21g

Hey Sponaugle,
Sounds like your R35 is more than lightly modified LOL - must be fun to drive.

Sounds like the r32 you're looking at has some pretty nice upgrades as well. Do you mind if I ask what site you found it on?? Im looking for a decent R32 too and haven't seen to many that make the cut for me.

sponaugle

tone21g wrote:Hey Sponaugle,
Sounds like your R35 is more than lightly modified LOL - must be fun to drive.

Sounds like the r32 you're looking at has some pretty nice upgrades as well. Do you mind if I ask what site you found it on?? Im looking for a decent R32 too and haven't seen to many that make the cut for me.
Yea.. However in the R35 world, anything under 1000whp is weak sauce. :) It is amazing how many people have 1200whp+ builds.

I am getting the car thru GTR-Garage. Their US showroom is in Portland, so right down the street from my office. I stopped by and talked to the guys there, and they were able to find the car for me. It will be here in Portland near the end of May. I was primarly looking for one that didn't have that many mods, but this particular car had the R34 engine block (and oil pump) upgrade, so that seemed like a good starting point.

Once I get the car I'll pull the engine and rebuild it, but it is nice to have a better block to work with.

Low milage was also something I was wanting.. only because it reduces the total wear on the car. Most R32s I see are in the 80-140k km, so to find one with <70k km seemed pretty good.

kabob
Car: 1990 Skyline GTR R32

lol @ Tomei ponkamu :p That's supposed to translate to "poncams" meaning it's got Tomei aftermarket camshafts. The rest of that list sounds impressive.

sponaugle

kabob wrote:lol @ Tomei ponkamu :p That's supposed to translate to "poncams" meaning it's got Tomei aftermarket camshafts. The rest of that list sounds impressive.
Yea... I am curious to see which version of the cams are in the motor. I should have the car at the end of May, so I'll post up some details once it arrives.

Cheers,

Jeff

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

If I remember right, poncams are basically just drop in cams that don't require any work to the head/valves/springs. Just slightly over stock. Nice power upgrade, but still maintain the manners of a standard cam.

sponaugle

Gold Digger wrote:If I remember right, poncams are basically just drop in cams that don't require any work to the head/valves/springs. Just slightly over stock. Nice power upgrade, but still maintain the manners of a standard cam.
Yes. There are three different spec versions of the Tomei cams: A,B, and R.

All three have the same lift ( 9.15mm ), but the durations are slightly different. They do indicate no need for valve spring upgrades, which does make it a nice stock level upgrade. Since this particular R32 has an N1 R34 block, I assume the cams were added while the block was being replaced.

The other interesting question I have is if the 'R34 turbocharger' is the upgraded RB26DETT-N1 turbocharger. The real R34-N1 turbocharger has a steel turbine instead of the ceramic one. I doubt this is the case, but you never know. If they really are R34 turbos they should at least be ball bearing.

Jeff

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

I've heard rumor, but never confirmed, that the R34 used only steel exhaust wheels on their turbos. Like I said, never confirmed, though.

I have a friend in Japan that had a 94 R32 and had upgraded to R34 turbos and front pipes for his only real performance upgrades. He works for Nissan, too. If I can get a hold of him, I can ask to find out if the R34 turbos are ceramic or not.

kabob
Car: 1990 Skyline GTR R32

Most R34 GTR turbos are ceramic. I have a pair sitting in a box in storage waiting for gumption and a Defi multilink before installing them on my R32. Only the limited edition R34s like the Z Tune had steel internals.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”