Dead Clock, Resetting Trip Odo, A/C Forgets

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
yeravgjoe
Car: 2001 Nissan Maxima 20th Anniversary 5spd
2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6spd

I recently replaced the starter on our 2001 Maxima SE 20th Anniv/5spd. Now the clock is dead, the trip odometer resets to 0.0 everytime I restart the car, and the A/C doesn't remember the mode from the previous car trip. Does anyone know what the fix is? Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Rex
Car: None

On other makes/models an inoperable clock usually points to a weak/dying battery. I've had this happen on both an Oldsmobile and Lexus myself.

yeravgjoe

The battery was new 6 months ago. No troubles starting after sitting for days at a time. I don't think its the battery.

Fezzik
Car: 2010 G37 Vert w/ stage 1 GTM supercharger

Try putting the battery charger on it for a night and then give it a day and see if it still does it. Also, you can check the battery If the clock resets everytime by hooking charger and starting car. then set clock. turn car off wait and hour and turn it back on. If the clock is not losing its time then there ya go.

yeravgjoe

Definitely NOT a battery issue. The trip odometer (which must use some kind of low voltage for its memory)resets every time the key is taken out of the ignition. The automatic climate control (which must use some kind of low voltage to remember its last setting) also resets whenever the key is removed. The clock never activates at all. No way to reset or set the clock.

Rex
Car: None

I only suggested the battery, as I had a similar issue in my 95 Lexus SC400. The car started, drove and did all other things fine, the Trip worked, the odometer worked even the temp gauge worked all same digital type display across the bottom of the dash. I had the battery tested and they told me it was only 16 months old, it wasn't the battery. Fast forward 3-4 months, and the car is slow to start on cold mornings, but starts every time even after sitting for days.

I decide I'm going to just replace the battery, and the are willing to check it 1 more time, and after a solid 5 minutes of connecting, disconnecting & re-connecting the battery tester they decide the battery is bad.

Next they subtly accused me of swapping the battery and insist I must return the exact same battery, because batteries don't go dead like this in <2 years.

Anywhoo, after the new battery was installed, the clock started working fine.

I realize this may not be your case, but my car started every day for 5 months after the clock stopped. I hate thinking of the extra burden I put on the alternator all that time.

Auburn dad
Car: 2009 G37S

Hi yeravgjoe

I have a 2009 Infiniti sedan that I put a new battery in about a month ago. I noticed now that I have the same problems...everything resets on climate controls, dimmer light switches and trip odometer. Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I am thinking there must be a some sort of back up battery that saves the settings. Like you , I know it is not the main battery. Thanks!

fq1234

I am also having the EXACT same issues. Did anyone ever find a fix. I also have been suspecting there is a second battery. I had a Saab that had a second battery.

In addition to the trip/clock/AC issues, my keyless entry doesn't work. Anyone else have that problem in combination with the others?

fq1234

fq1234 wrote:I am also having the EXACT same issues. Did anyone ever find a fix. I also have been suspecting there is a second battery. I had a Saab that had a second battery.

In addition to the trip/clock/AC issues, my keyless entry doesn't work. Anyone else have that problem in combination with the others?
I ended up finding the solution. The Trip, AC, clock, and even the keyless entry are now working.

In the fuse panel on the driver's side near the steering wheel there is a 7.5A fuse way up on the right hand side. It is easy to miss unless you get down low inside the car and look up. That fuse was blown. I replaced it and the above started working again. The column of fuses positioned vertically on the right side of the other fuses are spares. There should be a replacement 7.5A in that row.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”