Dashboard Rattle - The Sequel

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
JPS48
Car: 2009 Versa SL Hatchback

I realize much has been written on this topic previously but I thought I'd share one fix I've discovered thus far. It isn't new and has been recommended before but in slightly different ways.

It relates to the perceived 'dash rattling against the windshield,' a noise that drives one crazy and which you'd swear is coming from just about every other place but there.

Following other posters' advice, I tried small squares of foam on a temporary basis and achieved some relief but discovered in one location, it actually made things worse. I then experimented by placing foam every few inches all the while doing a tap test on the dash's surface. In some locations, the foam in place caused new or increased rattles and in others it silenced them entirely.

Also, I think I discovered is that in my case, it wasn't so much the windshield contacting the dash as it was the dash not fully seating tightly down on items below it and that causing some rattling.

I ended up using 3/8" x 3/8" closed cell sponge rubber tape generally used for home weatherstripping. Fortunately it comes in a very dark grey shade virtually identical to the dash. I left the peel off paper which is white on it and simply ran two continuous strips, one on top of the other, from the rightmost passenger side over to the right side of the VIN viewing window.I inserted one strip at a timewith the backing paper pointed towards the dash tucking it into the crevice with a thin wooden shim. Even with two layers, you cannot see the foam at any point nor the edge of the white backing paper.

As for the section from the VIN window to the leftmost point of the dash, I initially did the same there but discovered doing so produced even louder rattles so I removed it.

Is this a long term fix? We'll see what happens in warmer weather when I suspect all the other rattles eminating from the dash will go silent, just as many, but not all of them do today, once the interior is sufficiently warmed up.

Codelicious
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx

Sweet thanks for the details. I haven't had any problems with any rattling in my dash yet (thank god), but when I have pop cans in the holder or glasses in the compartment they rattle like no other! I'm sure some pads will fix those though.

Anyways to my point, could you post some pictures for members to see? That way if anyone wants to do it they can get a good view and can make it work on their first try. :D

carorules

I'd love to see pics too, I wanna try it for sure before I lose my mind with all the crackling and rattling... :(

pp312

Hi. I'm just popping in from Australia to say that I was developing a peristent rattle in the dash of my Tiida/Versa when I visited this forum (we don't have a Tidda forum in Oz) and spotted "Matt's" original post about jamming foam between dash and windscreen. I tried it and viola!--haven't heard the slightest sign of a rattle since. I'm still surprised actually that it was so easy (you can get lucky), but also confused that at least one person here is finding the rattles made worse by foam packing. I guess maybe the foam stuffed in certain places forces the dash slightly askew so that it contacts other parts of the surround--or something. There's no doubt that this kind of material can be noisy--just try rubbing your elbow on the armrest of a typical office chair.

Personally I've never been in a car that didn't have some rattle, squeak or creak problem. My last car, an Elantra, had a rattle around the steering column area, which I managed to cure by jamming foam between the column and dash. Maybe BMWs, Audis etc don't have rattles, but with the typical econobox it's a case of being prepared to put in the time and effort and track the little buggers down. (And for that you sometimes need a relative who's prepared to travel upside down in the passenger's seat with his/her feet in the air and head under the dash, listening). :crazy:

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”