CVT - What are the most miles anyone has with no trouble?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
kbz1960

I've read bad threads on the CVT transmission so now I want to hear how durable they can be.

philipa_240sx

I have 49,000km or 29,400mi with no problems so far.

Leo2005

22,300 mi with no problems.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I started the same thread in the Versa, Altima and Murano forums, and I've heard several reports of over 150,000 miles trouble-free....... the Rogue is new so it'll be a few years before we the high mileage reports pile up, but there are a few owners out there who seem to put on a lot of miles but not many.... it'll be about 8 years before I hit 100,000 km so I'm less interested in the short-term highway high mileage cars, but instead would rather be able to see into the future and see how the CVT holds up against 10 years of short city driving, stop and start, not real high miles but much hard on the CVT I would imagine. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

kbz1960

Hi, I also posted in those forums. I'm hoping to see some with high miles as if I do get one I will be wanting to keep for years to come.

Does anyone know if the Rogue's cvt is used in any other model?

Hope things work out for you kerrton!

Roguemonster
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD (Iridium Graphite)

48,000 miles.

Zero problems.

philipa_240sx

The Rogue CVT is Nissan model# RE0F10A / Jatco model# JF011E. The CVT is made by Jatco. It is shared by 2 other Nissan's:

'07-09 Altima - with 2.5L QR25DE motor'07-09 Sentra - with 2.5L QR25DE motor or 2.0L MR20DE motor

And a few domestic/imports:

- Dodge Caliber, Jeep Compass, Jeep Patriot. Note: Chrysler uses different programming/computer for their CVT than Nissan.- Mitsubishi Outlander (FWD and AWD)

The Rogue is the only Nissan vehicle sold in North America that has the AWD version of this transmission. Mitsubishi and Chrysler may have the AWD version as well depending on model. The AWD version has additional cooling, a different case, and a third 'output' to send power to the transfer case and finally to the rear wheels.

Note:

V6 powered Nissan's (Altima, Murano) use the RE0F09B / Jatco JF010E which has a higher torque capacity. The Versa uses the smaller RE0F08A or B / Jatco JF009E. Of note, the Rogue's RE0F10A uses a chain driven oil pump as opposed to direct drive oil pumps in the RE0F09B and RE0F08A. Otherwise all the CVT's are very similar in design.

mlmcgahee
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5s

35,000 miles with no problems....

kbz1960

Well after finding more posts and forums with Nissan and cvt problems needless to say Nissan has lost another potential customer. The way I hear they treat their customers and deny everything until it is out of warranty and then they know exactly what the problem is and it's going to cost an arm and and leg..... funny how that works!

I hope you all have some good luck with them as it seems they are not a car to drive any more than 50,000 miles if you are lucky and then try to unload it on some unsuspecting person.

Maybe Nissan should be committed to their customers and not the cvt transmission which seems to be the biggest piece of crap around.

It's too bad because I really like the Rogue that I test drove and I would have purched one............ really glad that I found this out before I did.

philipa_240sx

Keep one thing in mind here...

If you read forums for any car make/model, a large amount of of the posts are usually complaints or other issues. If you were to base your purchase solely on this information, you would never buy any car... because all you read about are the complaints!

These forums are just one tool for researching, you should talk to other owners, test drive the vehicles... both new and used, tour your local dealership(s), talk to the service department staff, even check out several dealerships. Once you have gathered all the information, you can make an informed and non-biased decision on whether to buy a particular vehicle or not.

One final note... perspective:

Nearly 50% of Nissan vehicles sold in North America come equipped with a CVT transmission. For 2008, that would mean 50% of the 838,361 vehicles Nissan sold in the US came with a CVT... that's over 400,000 vehicles! Worldwide, Nissan sells in excess of 1 million CVT transmission equipped vehicles a year. The few transmission failures reported here (Maybe 30-40?) are a tiny speck compared to number of transmissions sold. If the CVT was such a failure, Nissan would have went out of business by now on warranty recalls alone.

Good luck!

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

kbz1960 wrote:Well after finding more posts and forums with Nissan and cvt problems needless to say Nissan has lost another potential customer. The way I hear they treat their customers and deny everything until it is out of warranty and then they know exactly what the problem is and it's going to cost an arm and and leg..... funny how that works!

I hope you all have some good luck with them as it seems they are not a car to drive any more than 50,000 miles if you are lucky and then try to unload it on some unsuspecting person.

Maybe Nissan should be committed to their customers and not the cvt transmission which seems to be the biggest piece of crap around.

It's too bad because I really like the Rogue that I test drove and I would have purched one............ really glad that I found this out before I did.
Troll. Way to double post everything in here and the Murano forum. You didn't even read all the people stating the positives they have with their transmission, and simply threw out that you didn't like it. Whatever. Have fun driving another failwagon where the dealer denies you service until out of warranty. Guess what - THEY ALL DO IT.

kerrton

kbz1960: All I have to say is that you are completely CLUELESS in your logic, as Philip pointed very politely. ALL vehicles have a certain number of component failures that need to be replaced under warranty, including transmissions regardless if they are CVT or not. I don't have the numbers but it could very well be that Nissan's 30 failures out of 1 million is much better than the competition (ex. RAV4 who is having problems with their new tranny's this year, and no they aren't CVT!). The point is, you don't know but you just made assumptions. If you don't want to buy a Rogue, don't, we aren't trying to convince you to do it but we just want to try to stick to the facts and avoid random paranoia.

kerrton

kbz1960:

I checked the Murano and Altima threads, and now I'm annoyed too. There's nothing wrong with asking the same question on those threads, but you got ALL POSTIVE RESPONSES to your question, NOT A SINGLE NEGATIVE report, and several with high mileage 60 to 140k miles. Also, warnings not to worry about any 2003 murano cvt issues because it is completely different than today's CVT designs.

Lots of people took time to do you a favor and share their experiences with you, all of which were positive, and then you turn around and totally disregard their opinions and stick with the conclusion that you wanted to arrive at based on your INACCURATE PRE-CONCEIVED NOTIONS. That is disrespectul and really not cool, pretty annoying too.

takeshi
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

philipa_240sx wrote:If you read forums for any car make/model, a large amount of of the posts are usually complaints or other issues. If you were to base your purchase solely on this information, you would never buy any car... because all you read about are the complaints!
Actually, that applies to every forum site out there -- not just the ones for cars. I'm curious what products kbz1960 buys given that they all have large numbers of complaints on forum sites.

philipa_240sx

I think we've beaten a dead horse on this one. I'm going to lock this thread and leave it at that.

Return to “Rogue Forum”