CVT - slow to engage reverse and drive?

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Sibica
Car: 2010 Versa Hatch SL

This is the first CVT I've ever owned and I've noticed that it takes a couple of seconds (as in, not virtually instant as it is in other non-CVT vehicles I've had) from park, to engage either reverse or drive. Is this normal on the CVT? Does yours do the same? BTW, this is a 2010 with 13,000 kms on the clock.

Thanks!

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

Compared to the minivans my wife has had (the only automatics I've driven before our CVT Versas), it might be a half-second difference, but not a couple of seconds. I do make sure the car is fully stopped when shifting from reverse to drive to avoid a clunk, but I'm just trying to be easier on the transmission than I felt I could be with manual transmissions when I had full control of the clutch. As you might guess from my avatar, we've been pretty happy with the CVT's around here!

Sibica
Car: 2010 Versa Hatch SL

Good to know that its a bit slower. A couple of seconds may be an overstatement on my part but it definitely is slower than any other auto I've driven in.

Cheers

BBISHOPPCM
Car: 2006 Murano S/AWD w/ Convenience Package

After owning two CVT equipped vehicles ('06 Murano and an '07 Versa, neither remain in my posession), the "delay" to engage appears to be a characteristic of the CVT transmission.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”