CVT....NO!!!!

Discussion forum for the Infiniti JX35 / Infiniti QX60 - This 7-seat premium crossover dominates the class.
joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Just found out that this thing will have a CVT transmission :(

I thought Infiniti only used 6 or 7 speeds...CVTs are a Nissan thing. Speaking of Nissan...is it me or does it look Murano...ish?

Well that's it for me...

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

They offer the JX in All Wheel Drive and Front Wheel Drive. Infiniti only offered the G20 as a FWD car since the JX. I am not a fan of a SUV thats FWD, Kinda kills it.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Yup, it's because it's FWD/transverse. The 6 and 7 speeds used in other Infinitis are all longitudinal, rear drive. It's still disappointing that they went with the CVT, though. Nissan WAS building a decent 5-speed automatic just a few years ago (the RS5F) but stopped in order to force the CVT on every car they could. I think the RS5 would be much better suited to a big lux-crossover like the JX.

The FWD layout also means no VQ37VHR, since that's a rear-drive VQ. It'll probably get the Maxima's 290hp VQ35DE.

I'm sure it's built on the Murano's platform, but it's definitely bigger (7 seats rather than 5).
Infinitiguy19 wrote:They offer the JX in All Wheel Drive and Front Wheel Drive. Infiniti only offered the G20 as a FWD car since the JX. I am not a fan of a SUV thats FWD, Kinda kills it.
The I30/I35 were also front-drive. When Nissan killed it off back in 2004, they did it while talking loudly about 100% separation between Nissan and Infiniti models (the I was a rebadged Maxima), and about not wanting any FWD in the lineup. Now we've got a FWD CVT Infinti.

Of course, we can't really hold it against Infiniti. Everyone is so MGP-obsessed these days it's hard to stay competitive without a car-based 7-seat crossover. Pilot/MDX, Highlander/RX, CX9, Flex, Traverse/Acadia/Enclave...everyone else makes one. Nissan/Infiniti need to, too.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

I'm going to go out on a limb here and support the cvt. It is probably time that the conversion could be made. If the JX is made in Japan it should be of high enough quality to actually work.

I personally do not really care for the shift logic of the 7 speed in the 10-11 FX and some new Ms. The timing is odd and in normal city driving is feels complicated and confused. Over time they will learn driving characteristics of the long term primary driver but I do not care for them. In sport mode or using paddles they are far more manageable but densely packed suburbs are hard for modern eco minded transmissions to figure out.

Nissan has been tinkering heavily with the cvts in suvs since 2003. They have really come a long way and at least with Nissan come with a 110k warranty. With that type of support behind the product they might just be on to something decent.

Other than quality concerns what is the major argument against them? They optimize efficiency...isn't that what the automotive aftermarket strives to sell you items to do?

The front wheel driveness of the JX is something that raised one of my eyebrows. So it seems like the JX is an M body on a Maxima with some neat technology. The compounding features listed on the site top the JX out at maybe $55k which would make a decent competitor in a market the FX and QX are missing with all the bells and whistles of both a loaded M and the entertainment in the QX. The fwd bias will make more people moving out of minivans and smaller suvs more comfortable and yet again operate more efficient. The 3.5 is still used (in the EX and M hybrid) and has also been refined since 2003. If they fix the first year interior QC concerns of the Y51 M the JX could be quite a hit.

As skeptical as many of you may be those have given some throttle to a new Maxima have to have a least a little bit of a smerk....it is fun.

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

NIssan's latest versions certainly seem to be durable, extremely smooth, and help with fuel efficiency. These days all companies are doing what they can to help fuel economy numbers, whether it be CVT, turbo, direct injection, hybrids, EV's, or simply smaller displacement engines.

mcmnky
Car: 2013 JX35
2009 M35x

Timmbo wrote:NIssan's latest versions certainly seem to be durable, extremely smooth, and help with fuel efficiency. These days all companies are doing what they can to help fuel economy numbers, whether it be CVT, turbo, direct injection, hybrids, EV's, or simply smaller displacement engines.
I've driven the JX a couple times and am pretty close to buying. I didn't like the MDX and the Lexus GX is something like $13k more for similar features as the loaded JX.

Any thoughts/feelings on a hybrid model? I'd hold off if a hybrid JX was less than a year off.

I've read about the "JX25h" trademark. Any other buzz about it? :confused:

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

I personally really like the JX, really fits the bill for families today that want a luxury vehicle. For me personally, I would like to see a little more performance, but I am a bit of a "power freak". Set that aside, and I love the vehicle!

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Nissan needs to bring the FWD V6 up to spec with the rear-drive versions. The VQ in the JX is the same VQ we could buy in a Maxima or Altima ten years ago with different valve tuning. I want to see VVEL and direct injection in it. Then I want to see a GOOD automatic behind it. While the segment isn't my style, the 7-seat crossover market is EXTREMELY competitive, with lots of good options. Infiniti needs to do better than a ten-year-old 290hp V6 and a mushy CVT if they genuinely want to compete. You can get 350hp from Ford in a number of interesting crossovers, all of which can be very nice inside. Or you can get a Pilot or MDX. Or an Acadia, which comes in the luxurious Denali trim. Sticking two more seats behind a Murano and adding a Mt Fuji to the hood won't cut it, especially with watered-down melt-tastic styling.

Return to “Infiniti JX35 / QX60 Forum”