Cutting out while driving, any ideas?

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
BackgroundZombie
Car: 240sx 96

I'm having problems with my KA24DE and was looking for some help. Any info or thoughts you have on this problem would be much appreciated. I have searched and have found lots of useful info but nothing that quite answers my question.

I currently drive a 1996 240sx with the original high mileage KA.

My car keeps cutting out while driving. It feels like it's not getting fuel when this happens. It happens after the car is pretty warm, about 30 to 40 minutes into the drive. I'll be driving and all of a sudden nothing. I hit the gas and nothing. Well sometimes nothing and sometimes it will rev to 2500 RPM but will not go above. This happens for about 1-2 seconds sometimes 3-5 times in a row. It did it once when accelerating from a light today and chirped the tires twice in front of a cop.

It goes away but comes back often. I took it to the mechanic but they just keep saying it has to get worse to figure out the problem. :tisk:

It's getting annoying and kind of dangerous when I cuts out at highway speed, someone almost rear ended me today.

I have a obd scanner but it's not very good. I got some error codes but no description of what they mean:

P010
P040
P013
P144

My KA has some of the emissions stuff removed/blocked off so I am sure that is some of the codes it is throwing.

I have had some friends guess at it.. Bad injector, MAFS, fuel pump, distributer ect. but don't want to just guess and throw money at it.

If it is an injector or the fuel pump how can I check that? It never does it at idle. I did a tune up and replaced the plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter. All the normal stuff.

:crazy:

corn322
Car: 1993 240sx

OBD2 codes should have 4 numbers.
P01** codes are for emissions management.
P04** codes are emission control
P144* is a Nissan code, something to do with the EVAP system.

Run your car and wiggle wires under the hood. If you wiggle some and the car starts doing weird things, you can work from there.

Check this site for code info: http://www.obd-codes.com

BackgroundZombie

Thanks. So that's why I couldn't figure out what the codes were, I'm throwing this scanner in the trash. Some one gave it to me for free and now I know why.

I have tried wiggling the wires but can't get anything to mess up. It only acts up after it's good and hot and even then it is so random I can't figure anything out.

I can usually drive to the grocery store and back with no problems (30 minutes) but if I drive around town back and forth to appointments it starts acting strange again. I would guess if it was the MAFS it would happen all the time and would probably be the same for the injectors. It's so random even after it is hot that it has me confused.

BackgroundZombie

Anyone have any ideas?

I checked the resistance of the injectors today, each was at almost 13 ohms. I read somewhere that they should be at about 11 right? Is 12.something each acceptable? I unplugged each with the engine running, one at a time, and idle got rough with each like it should.

I'm thinking about breaking down and purchasing a Walbro fuel pump to replace mine but I hate to do it without knowing that mine is bad.

corn322
Car: 1993 240sx

13 ohms is fine. Look into a fuel pressure gauge and a t fitting and check the fuel pressure. Does your car have a valve on the fuel rail to attach a gauge to? Also, can you make it cut out while holding the engine at some RPM while sitting in the driveway?

BackgroundZombie

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I've been out of town. When I got home my new OBD reader was waiting in my mailbox so I checked my codes again. Here is what I found:
  • P0136 : O2 Sensor Circuit
    P0400 : Exhaust gas recirculation flow
    P1445 : evap canister purge control valve
No I can't get it to do this when at idle or any particular RPM in the driveway, wish I could. It would be a lot easier to figure out if I could.

I'm not sure how much help the fuel pressure gauge would be since I only have the problem randomly while driving down the road. A friend checked the fuel pressure at idle and said it was fine. If I could see the pressure gauge while driving it might help some.

I will figure this out, if it kills me I will figure it out. I'm just not sure what to do next... I think I'm getting that famous Nissan headache I've heard so much about. :crazy:

BackgroundZombie

OK, so I can narrow it down by one more thing. Fuel pump went out so I replaced it with a walbro 255.

It's still doing it but not as bad. Before it would buck hard now when it happens it is not as often and not as hard. More like a random sputter now while driving.

So we have pretty much ruled out injectors, fuel pump & MAFS.

StonedRhyder
Car: 91 240sx ka24de

Im having some what the same thing. Like somebody reaches over and turns the ignition off. My radio stays on, rpms bounce all over like on n off. Bucks almost like an engine break, press the gas and nothing, and while rolling it will just start back up again. I just replaced the sending unit with no result. I've also replaced TPS, Coil, dizzy,cap, plugs, rotor, control module, IAC valve, fuel injectors, starter, altinator,battery, fuel pump relay. I've done some searches and found some things, bad speed sensor, or speed cluster. I have a 91 ka24de couple. Let me know what you find.

BackgroundZombie

Sounds like between the two of us we have checked everything but the ECU! Good luck with yours. Mine is annoying me to death. It's taking all the fun out of driving for me. I'm getting really discouraged at this point.

StonedRhyder

i just saw an article that talked about a grounding wire that runs to a couple of things, tps,and um some others. Something about a couple of sensors that need to be gounded better. Im going to try it out this weekend, Ill post what I find. Also just pulled the codes today and got code 11, crank angle sensor. Well this is like th 4th dizzy that I have had. also replaced the controle module so I dont know. Hard to think that 5 of them would be bad. There must be somthing causing this. It just might be this grounding.

BackgroundZombie

Hopefully you figure something out. I'm still at a loss myself.

I changed the MAFS plug because it had a short in it. No good. I added a ground to the MAFS ground. No good.

It was still doing this at random. Everything is fine then at random while driving it starts again. Goes into limp mode, BOM BOM BOM BOM, can't accelerate past 2500 RPM. Have to pull over, wait about 20-30 seconds and no longer in limp mode. Go down the road bumping back and forth in and out of limp mode.

I'm getting SUPER fed up with this KA.

EDIT: The more I read the more I find that some people are having trouble with the CTS and/or the O2 sensor.

:confused:

StonedRhyder

Haven't gotten to the wiring yet, I replaced my O2 sensor. CTS? I have a new speed sensor yet to put on. will keep posted, its winter and cold as hell in the garage.

BackgroundZombie

Well I got my problem under control so far. Replaced the MAFS with a third and no more cutting out. Solved for now.

Now to figure out what is screwing up my MAFS. I think it may have some problem with the wiring. Maybe the old plug having a short was what did them in, now that it is replaced I will no longer blow MAF sensors.

Somehow both of my low beam HID ballasts blew today. I will take it all apart tomorrow but I'm having a hard time believing that both ballasts blew at the same time for no reason. Maybe I have some seriously messed up wiring?

ThunderDome
Car: 93 altima se

i'd make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. especially the one that runs from ur intake to IACV. ur MAF is measuring how much air is going to ur IACV so if there is a leak, that could be the problem. also, try replacing ur fuel filter and see what happens. can make the world of difference. with the oxygen sensor, i can believe that it may be messed up. they don't start working until the engine warms it up so it could be faulty. hope some of this helps

Vegeta

Hey my '91 240sx (KA24DE) is having the same issue. It won't rev over 2500rpms. It just shakes and tries to die. I'm thinking it's either a leak in the intake manifold or a bad fuel pump. I replaced the plugs and wires, cleaned the MAF sensor with CRC MAF sensor cleaner, added some Lucas to the gas, and I'm still having problems. Any more news on what you did to fix your car??

StonedRhyder

still havent fixed it yet. ok i have a couple more question about Diagnostic procedure 27 in the FSM. I had some time today to perform the test/tests.
1.)I checked all the connections 1st to make sure they are connected and snug.
They checked out fine.
2.) Check Power supply by checking voltage between terminal A and ground.
11.96 volts
3.) Check ground circuit bu checking harness continuity between terminal B and terminals D, I.
got the beep, so continuity is there
4.) Check harness continuity between terminal b and engine ground.
5.) Check Input signal circuit between terminal C and ECM harness 3
6.) Check output signal circuit between termianl G and ECM harness !
7.) Check components - Ignition Coil, Resistor, Power transistor
Ignition Coil was 1.3 ohms says it should be approximately .7ohms ......bad or good?
Resistor was 2.08 says it should be approximately 2.2ohms........ good or bad?
Power Transistor checked out okay with the chart

If you look at the wiring on the Diagnostic Procedure 27 there is a connection called F8 and F9, where is that located??? maybe that is loose. Are those readings in step 7 ok? should I replace the sensors that where high in resistance?

this is for code 21 - ignition signal

StonedRhyder

replaced resistor and transistor today, fixed! have a problem with WOT now. If I press the gas 75% i can go through my rpms with out a problem. At 100% the car will go to 4000 rpms and just bog, hard to explain. Engine still running, just stops pulling until I bring throttle to 75% and starts pulling again. Im going to do some research and see if I find anything, FSM here I come.

Ktt88
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

Im literally having the exact same problem as the previous post

Re: Cutting out while driving, any ideas?
replaced resistor and transistor today, fixed! have a problem with WOT now. If I press the gas 75% i can go through my rpms with out a problem. At 100% the car will go to 4000 rpms and just bog, hard to explain. Engine still running, just stops pulling until I bring throttle to 75% and starts pullin...

Im ready to explode with what could be

Have you fixed this?? And what did you do TO FIX IT?

StonedRhyder

I still am still having the same problem. I dropped a new motor in, tried 2 other known working MAFs. I am about to get a new fuel pump. I went cheap last time and now im going to get a walbro 255. It sux not being able to mash on the gas, when I want. I've tried many things and am starting to think it might be wiring issue. I did try another euc, tps, temp sensor, coil, transistor, distributor, spark plugs and wires, cap and rotor, relays, grounds, all new vacuum line with engine out, im sure im missing a couple things. Sorry to not be any help on it, if I get it fixed I'll post.

Ktt88

wow....funny cause ive tried most of that stuff too. Seems like not a lot of people have experience with this issue.

I have changed the fuel pump with a walbro 255 as well, new ecu, tps, temp sensor, distributor unit, wires, cap, rotor, knock sensor, o2 sensor.

Just trying to make sure youre issue is the same as mine. If you roll onto the throttle it goes to about 5500 rpm, but as soon as you get to 100% throttle it drops to 4000rpm as if theres a limiter there?

Also if you stomp the throttle from idle it always goes to 4000rpm.

Maybe ill give you some advice...yesterday i tested to see if there was continuity betweem the ecu plug and the sender wire for the knock sensor. I couldnt get any sort of connection. Im going to try to take apart the harness tonight and see whats up with it.
Its either I find the short in the knock sensor wire or use the "resistor trick". Do you know if you use a 560k ohm resistor or a 1M ohm resistor?

StonedRhyder

Yeah, sounds the same. I have swapped injectors, distributor many time and with genuine nissan parts, fpr. I swear gas its gas but if you changed it out. Still going to get one. I dont know what tour talking about, ecplain. If you keep your foot on the gas after it happens does it almost sound like a s*** launch control? Mine seems almost to do it after 75 throttle. Its really hard to explain, ill see if I can come up with a video of it. Its not limp mode amd its not the 3k rev limiter bad maf.

Ktt88

Heres a video of what im experiancing. Its at 4k now though

http://youtu.be/5VaEvw5_zMI?list=UU1Yxc ... cvYH6xghpw

first rev is 100% throttle

second rev is 75% then 100%

third rev is 100% again

StonedRhyder

I watched your video, I dont know if we have the exact same thing but its very close. Mine will do it just about any time over 75 percent of the throttle. Here is my video, 1st is under 75 percent and the rest over or at 100 throttle.
Again: http://youtu.be/vmn-TlqNpcI

StonedRhyder

Hey ktt88 you commented on my other video on youtube under MrNelson240sx video of me doing a pull and it does the problem. The above post was a better ecample of the video

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”