curious about 3rd gen maximas

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
maxima278
Car: 96 240SX SR20, 69 Ford Pickup, 99 Dodge Ram 1500, 1996 Nissan Maxima, 1997 Nissan Maxima project, 89 Coupe shell

I'm toying around with the idea of buying a third gen maxima with an auto trans for my wife to drive to work and back so we can keep miles off her Escape. We'd like to trade it in in a few years for a new Max, Pathfinder or Murano when we are not upside down in it.

I'm just wondering which years are best. I have heard of them having problems with auto transmissions and I was wondering if any of them don't have those problems. Also, don't the 94s have the same VQ30 that my 4th gen has? I don't know which years have what, so whatever anyone knows would be great. What other concerns should I have given that these cars are so old now?

I'd looking to spend about 2 grand (upon the sale of my maxima) and I don't want to have a nightmare on my handsthanks

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

2k-2.5k should get you a great condition third gen.

Biggest problems they had were electical--cruise dies, window regulators, TPS issues, door locks with an agenda.

The VQ was never an option in the third gen. From '92 to '94, the VE30DE came in all SE models. All others had the VG30E. It was the SE models, unfortunately, that had issues with the transmission. Just find a 5-speed and you'll be safe. My GXE trans lasted for just over 170k.

It's an old car, and if not properly maintained it'll obviously have serious issues. Probably due for a timing belt, new shocks, and plugs/wires unless the previous owner was a good boy and took care of those things like he should have. The timing belt is one of the most expensive upkeep items you will likely have to perform. It's a PITA to get to, and the dealers charge a lot for the labor on it.

Appearance differences were limited to the taillights and grille. From 89-92 had smoked tails on the SE, but not the GXE. From 93-94, all tails were the same (and also, 93-94 tails were different from the 89-92 tails, having a taller "clear" section with the badging printed on it rather than the red, as was the case with the earlier models). The earlier grilles (up to 92) had the word NISSAN printed in the bottom left. Later models had the chrome hamburger in the center. VE30-equipped SE's have a dual-tip muffler. Others have single tips.

Third gens also did not have steel wheels available as with later generations. All models had alloys. The SE had the sawtooths, and the GXEs have the 9-spoke "sprockets" that have become one of my favorite stock wheel styles ever (ford copied them on certain Taurus packages a few years later).

I'm not as intimately familiar with the VE as I am with the VG, but if you go for an early SE or a GXE, it will probably be missing exhaust manifold studs. They must have been poorly manufactured or something--it's a common problem. In most cases is doesn't cause any problems, as it's an exhaust leak, and in most cases it seals itself after the engine heats up. You'll hear a clicking that could be mistaken for a valvetrain issue. It'll generally disappear as the engine heats up.

My car was well maintained (though not dealer maintained) from the day it rolled off the lot (it's *technically* a one owner car) and has been an excellent and extremely reliable car. As long as you find an equally well maintained example, you should be quite safe.

You may end up needing transmission work, though--that's the biggest "if". If you go with a manual, you'd be much safer. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about mechanical issues. The VG, if you go that route, is an extremely durable engine. I can think of several good-running examples with over 300k on the original engine. The VE is a great engine as well.

I've never seen a third gen with clearcoat issues. The paint used seems to be quite resilient (mine looks beautiful after 13 years).

As far as the "best" third gen, that would definitely be the 93-94 SE 5-speed. The better styling (as far as tails) and the more powerful engine with a manual.

Oh, The VG30E made 160hp and 200 lb ft of torque.The VE30DE made 190 hp and 190 lb ft of torque.

All I have left to say is that I am absolutely in love with my third gen.

I'm actually working on a third-gen Maxima-specific subdomain for incessantdoom.com. Hopefully I'll have it up soon.

maxima278
Car: 96 240SX SR20, 69 Ford Pickup, 99 Dodge Ram 1500, 1996 Nissan Maxima, 1997 Nissan Maxima project, 89 Coupe shell

what sucks about this plan I'm sort of thinking about is that it would be for my wife who is auto trans dependent. I personally would throw all auto transmissions in the ocean if I had my way, and I've always salivated over maximas with manual transmissions, especially 3rd and 5th gens. I'd love to just give her my 95 since I already know it to be reliable and bulletproof, but it is a 5 speed also.

I forgot about the VG having a timing BELT, does the VE also? VQ's are chains if I'm not mistaken.

I already knew about the manifold studs from my previous ownership of 2 90 and 91 Pathfinders. Not to mention several test drives of 3rd gen maximas over the years, mostly during the time I was shopping for the car I have now. It greatly annoys me. On the second Pathfinder I found a mechanic who would change them out for $110. Well worth it, as it was a pita on the first one.

So basically if I'm limited to auto trans cars, do you think I should scrap the idea of an older max for the wife?

Also, with the VE30 having 190hp, and a lighter body (??), shouldn't it smoke my 4th gen?

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

The VE used timing chains (I don't think any Nissan DOHC V6 ever used a belt--just too bulky).

I personally wouldn't completely scrap the idea, but I often feel like I'm the only guy willing to chance it in order to drive one of these cars, so you may feel differently.

Unfortunately, pretty much all japanese transmissions from that era had issues. If you take care of it, you should be fine. They're particularly susceptible to heat, so replacing the stock trans cooler with a larger, more effective aftermarket one is a huge step toward avoiding any issues. Check fluid regularly, obviously--but be a little excessive with this one. Another suggestion is a transmission fluid temperature gauge. These are common mods for the Q45 for the same reason--just check out the Q forum and you should get plenty of suggestions.

The reason my transmission died was because debris plugged up the cooling system, so the fluid heated up, and then later simply stopped circulating, leaving the trans inadequately lubricated.So installation of a better cooler (possibly even two coolers, as I've heard of being done on the Q, if you're paranoid--one standard mounted in front of the radiator, and a second in-line with filter) and a temperature probe, combined with regular fluid changes and system flushes should prevent any abnormal problems. Of course, age is definitely a factor, and any car with an original transmission is likely to give you trouble very soon, cimply because these cars are all nearing the 200k mile mark. Find one with a replaced or rebuilt trans and you'll be better off, obviously. Either that, or find a very low milage example.

I guess it all comes down to finding a well-maintained car. You just have to be extra picky. Try to find one like mine, with an upgraded trans cooler (mine is HUGE), a freshly rebuild trans, and a history of obsessive maintenance, and you shouldn't ever have a problem with it.

As for performance, I've been known to say the 3rd gen is the purest of all (doesn't make it true, but I sure believe it). It's lighter, makes essentially the same torque numbers with just a bit less hp, and (most importantly to me) it had IRS. If it doesn't out-accelerate your fourth gen, it'll out-handle it. They feel very nimble for big cars, and the back end feels like it's glued to the pavement.

My favorite part is when people get in my car and say "wow--this is a nice car" about my 13 year old sedan. Interior quality is great.

maxima278

I'm impressed by how enthusiastic you are about these cars considering you've owned it for so long. Something else I did not realize was the fact that third gens have IRS. I knew little about maxima suspensions so you can imagine my reaction the first time I crawled under mine and found that it had just this low tech bar between the back wheels.

However, my wife totally hated the idea of not being able to drive her giant baby carriage on a daily basis simply because we're making a payment on it and she figures she might as well drive it. women. go figure. She thinks I should sell my 4th gen and buy a manual shift 3rd gen to save money. We'll see how that works out.

The way I look at it is that I was looking for a 3rd gen when I found what I have, and I settled for no leather interior and no sunroof and kind of regret that, but then again by the time I got the 02 wheels and the fresh paint, clear corners, and no emblems on the back, I ended up with what I consider one of the prettiest 4th gens I have ever come across. So if it sells, good, if not then I'll keep it forever. I just might have to find a donor car with black leather.

On the other hand, I'm really curious about this VE30DE.. is it more refined than the vg? why only produce an engine for 2 years?

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

From what I understand, the VG30DE was simpy too big to fit in the Maxima without major work. It was not designed with transverse setup in mind (it was never used in a FWD vehicle). The heads are huge. The VE is more compact, and it's better suited for tranverse arrangement.Basically, Nissan neaded a DOHC powerplant for the Maxima in a hurry, and the VE was the answer. Don't quote me on that, but that's the impression I gather.

As far as why only a two year run...(actually, it ends up being just over 3 years, since it started in 92, and 92 vehicle production becan 3/4 of the way through 91.)I have NO idea. Perhaps it was used in japan or europe or some other market to more of an extent than it was here. (I'm not aware of anything by the J30 Maxima ever using it, though...). That one's always baffled me, too. It was obviously a good engine--you see just as many SE third gens as GXE's on the road, if not more. Seems like a waste. I guess maybe a redesign of the car would have been more work (or money) than a coming up with an engine to fit the car. But that seems backwards, too.

Oh, and speaking of suspenion. Look under the back of your wife's escape.The sight always makes me cringe and chuckle simultaneously.Also...I need to get pictures of the rear independent suspension from my dad's '04. I was test fitting wheels again (rears this time) and I just stepped back and said "Wow..." when I got the wheel off his car. Very cool setup. Tons and tons of alluminum, too.

maxima278

what do you mean about the suspension on the escape, good or bad? Don't worry, its a ford so I understand its gonna be non impressive. Also is your dads car an 04 maxima or escape?

I'm always amazed when I see new and 'improved' versions of cars come out that go lower tech than the years before. Honda does it, and apparently Nissan is not disincluded. The first 4th gens had glass headlights also, while the 97s and newer have plastic. Probably the reason why mine and your headlights have never yellowed.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Ooops, guess that was pretty vague.

I meant that the Escape has bad rear suspension. The arms lower arms nearly scrape the ground...you'd get hung up (or rip off a rear wheel) just going over a raised median in the road. They're so big and long...it just looks flimsy and cheap. The rest of the car actually looks good...doesn't have cheap body work or anything. So the suspension looks very out of place.

My dad's car is a Maxima. They went back to IRS this generation, and the rear multilink setup is pretty cool looking. It could make things difficult if you wanted to switch to coilovers, though. The spring is very wide and short--wider than it is tall.

maxima278

Actually, my biggest gripe about the escape is the interior quality. It is absolutely the worst I have ever seen. the seats welcome stains with open arms and when you try to clean it, it just leaves a ring. The dash looks like it is made out of textured ABS plastic. Also, the 3.0 motor is a very loud and obnoxious one compared to what I'm used to. Good power, however, just noisy. My ten year old maxima and 9 year old 240SX ride and feel better than my brand new Ford that I actually have to make a payment on, and the resale value sucks so I'm stuck with it. Can't wait til I can get all nissans in the stable.

So how well does the 04 handle compared to yours? I don't know about you, but after seeing them up close and sitting in them, they actually seem very reminiscent of generations past and therefore don't dissapoint me as much as I thought they would. I'm hoping to trade the escape for either that or a Murano or Pathfinder at some point.

Speaking of Muranos, have you had a chance to drive one with the CVT? My dad has an 04, and I found the accelleration to be a little weak. Maybe thats just my imagination since it is so smooth, but it seems slower than my maxima... just wondering if anyone else has noticed that.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Ahh, it's a V6 escape...

The Sixth gen Max feels quite a bit smaller than it is when you're driving it. It's still pretty agile, and it hold .84 with stock all season rubber. Stickier tires would put it in the territory of much smaller cars as far as roadholding. It's also easy to throw around. It feels like it's on rails, and the back end isn't going anywhere.Still, when I get in my '93 after driving my dad's car, it feels very very small and agile in comparison. The '04's handling is impressive, but it still can't quite match my much lighter and smaller third gen. (My dad's car is an SE, of course. None of this SL maxima blasphemy).

I wonder what my '93 will handle like when I've got the sixth gen SE wheels and tires on it...

jdmfreak's mother has a CVT-equipped Murano, I think. He's a Maxima guy--he had a fourth gen until a deer got in the way one day. If he still browses this forum, maybe he'll comment.The SL with CVT hits 60 mph in 7.5. Definitely outside Maxima territory.I've yet to drive ANY cvt-equipped cars. I wanted to take a CVT Ford Five Hundred for a test drive, but the salesman was intent on trying to sell me a V6 mustang.Maybe when I'm at the dealer on tuesday (TPS issues) I'll try to get a test drive in a Murano...I'm curious what CVT's drive like.

maxima278

my car must have a pretty durable suspension. Some maniac ran me off the road today. I was doing about 70 mph (not the brightest) on this country back road where there is usually nobody, and I come over a hill and theres this truck sliding toward me already in my lane heading for the shoulder. So I swerve off to the right side and the backend comes out from under me on the grass and the next thing I know I'm spinning through a field and stop facing back the way I came. Only things wrong were a little grass beteen my wheel and tire and a plastic shroud under the front bumper hanging down which I've already fixed. Best I can tell my alignment is still good and everything. Long live the Maxima!

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”